Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 03:18 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times

Advertisements

If you are still making excuses for your behavior, this will not be your last incident.

You need to come up with a plan on how you are going to react if your hot button gets pushed.

Making a fist and gesturing with it is offensive and just plain threatening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 04:00 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,236,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
OP, you commited a crime and you seem to think it's just a little thing.

Assault is the behavior which causes another person to fear for his/her safety. A fist in and of itself is just that. It's a threat of the battery to come.

Battery is the actual physical harm.

Do not confuse the two terms (most people do) because you can have one without the other. You can have a battery without the threat of bodily harm. You can have assault without the carrying through.

What you have received as punishment may not be the end. Your coworker is still within her rights to press criminal charges against you.

Oh, and it isn't a misdemeaner, it's a felony.
This is well-said, although I believe many jurisdictions have misdemeanor assault and misdemeanor battery. I also believe now that it has passed, the co-worker would be limited to civil charges.

Misdemeanor battery by the way is like bumping hard into someone at an airport, accidentally (has happened to me). Almost never results in arrest etc., unless a cop is right there and the battered party has some kind of visible injury.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:20 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Assume your job is gone. Crazy move, OP.

One raised voice anytime in the future, a harsh glare, anything.

You will need 100% control of every action you ever take there,,again.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:03 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Guys (and gals) I know that I have been told about my anger issues. And I appreciate it immensely. But the one thing that sets me off is condescension and bullying. I had a past instance, and some of you remember, where a coworker was attacked, and I went after the attacker. Yes, I was corrected, but maybe that's my weakness: I don't like bullying! If it's school age kids, one thing. But grown professional adults who know better...I mean, maybe I'm naive, but come on.

Guess what, Batman? When you're at work, and you don't own the company or are the CEO/President of the company, what you like and don't like has zero significance. None. You should be a grown professional adult who knows better. You're naive to think otherwise.

Your company made a big mistake delaying your termination until your next outburst. Keeping you on not only sends the wrong message but is demotivating to those who have to work with you.

While I think you are badly in need of an anger management program, I would start looking for a new job if I were you because your days are numbered.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:42 PM

101 posts, read 141,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
It was a woman! You are a coward if you made a fist when arguing with a woman. You should be fired and shunned by all.
+1

Who the heck would raise their fists towards anybody at work, especially towards a women? OP needs some serious anger management classes before he actually hurts someone. Hopefully this is a wakeup call for him.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:05 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
OP, in case you think everyone is overreacting consider this. Your actions indicate that you are a threat to others and society trends to shun and be wary of that person. It's an innate survival response.

Get it together or you will be a jobless, lonely pariah.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:07 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,344,128 times
Yes it is a wake-up call and I did not raise my fist to her face; I kept it at my side!
I make no excuse for my action; it was wrong and I readily admit it. Not that anyone cares, but the job is high-stress and demanding. I'm a CPS worker and we see the worst in people. I've been called names, cursed out, spat at, threatened with weapons....and that goes for many of us. Now I've realized that I'm becoming way too bitter and cynical, and my actions of late are corroborating this. 24 years of thankless work, maybe I ought to consider retiring...

It's scaring the hell out of me. I never thought that I'd sink so low. With children, I'm a lamb. But with confrontational adults...that can be another story. Not to sound martyrish.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:05 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
I get it Rick I did social work with gang members, it's a rewarding and yet toxic job. The pay sucks too.

Can you take medical leave, because it sounds like you could use a few days of R and R because the stress is causing you to crack.

Good for you that you acknowledge your anger and behavior. I have a temper too from time to time. I just learned to not say anything and walk or vent later.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:12 PM

101 posts, read 141,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Yes it is a wake-up call and I did not raise my fist to her face; I kept it at my side!
I make no excuse for my action; it was wrong and I readily admit it. Not that anyone cares, but the job is high-stress and demanding. I'm a CPS worker and we see the worst in people. I've been called names, cursed out, spat at, threatened with weapons....and that goes for many of us. Now I've realized that I'm becoming way too bitter and cynical, and my actions of late are corroborating this. 24 years of thankless work, maybe I ought to consider retiring...

It's scaring the hell out of me. I never thought that I'd sink so low. With children, I'm a lamb. But with confrontational adults...that can be another story. Not to sound martyrish.
Good that you didn't actually raise your fist towards her. Seems like you need a serious break from the job. I feel like I just read the definition of burning out. I would be shocked if criminal charges could be brought against you for just closing your hands by your side.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:03 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
I worked with a rape crisis center. There are many women who see a fist (raised or otherwise) and literally fear for their lives. And I suspect you know this considering the kind of work you do.

ItsRick24, I applaud you for the work you do. Calling it stressful is quite mild. Time to find another agency, one where your efforts are respected and appreciated. CPS is always a thankless job - you have the power to remove a child from its parents - even if it's for the child's safety, not even the child will thank you.

Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment