Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 08:19 PM

436 posts, read 579,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
I got into a heated argument with a coworker. Our supervisor was there. Now, this coworker is kind of stupid, doesn't know her job, but I'm not going into details. Anyway, this was a discussion about something so trivial, but she just didn't want to listen and kept talking over me. Our voices got loud (especially mine - hate to admit, but I've got a temper!) and at one point I brought my hand up into a fist. Supervisor then began yelling at me, insinuating that I was threatening! I was mad, but not to where I'd resort to striking.
Making a fist 100% is a threat and threatening, especially with a loud voice, your job is no place for a temper. If you remain in this position I would recommend getting anger management counseling, apologize to those involved and be very careful in the future. When you act or speak in an aggressive manner it can be threatening to others. Clenching a fist and loud voice is usually the warning shot or pre-cursor to violence. I am surprised you still have this position. The fact you think someone is stupid is not justification on your part to become explosive and angry.

Last edited by RedTexanTea; 12-21-2014 at 08:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 08:13 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
Rick you work in a very high burn out profession. Do you take regular holidays? It's very important to have down time and time away from the work environment. Are you taking care of your psychological health?

Old 12-22-2014, 08:58 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,847,897 times
If I was your boss, I would fire you.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:08 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Not by itself but it becomes a threat when making a fist, shaking it twice.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:36 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Guys (and gals) I know that I have been told about my anger issues. And I appreciate it immensely. But the one thing that sets me off is condescension and bullying. I had a past instance, and some of you remember, where a coworker was attacked, and I went after the attacker. Yes, I was corrected, but maybe that's my weakness: I don't like bullying! If it's school age kids, one thing. But grown professional adults who know better...I mean, maybe I'm naive, but come on.
Given a wake up call, and still making excuses why your aggression and out-of-control anger is justifiable.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Guys (and gals) I know that I have been told about my anger issues. And I appreciate it immensely. But the one thing that sets me off is condescension and bullying. I had a past instance, and some of you remember, where a coworker was attacked, and I went after the attacker. Yes, I was corrected, but maybe that's my weakness: I don't like bullying! If it's school age kids, one thing. But grown professional adults who know better...I mean, maybe I'm naive, but come on.
So did this coworker bully you or someone else? It doesn't appear so. She was stupid (your words), and wouldn't listen to you.

This makes YOU the bully.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Yes it is a wake-up call and I did not raise my fist to her face; I kept it at my side!
I make no excuse for my action; it was wrong and I readily admit it. Not that anyone cares, but the job is high-stress and demanding. I'm a CPS worker and we see the worst in people. I've been called names, cursed out, spat at, threatened with weapons....and that goes for many of us. Now I've realized that I'm becoming way too bitter and cynical, and my actions of late are corroborating this. 24 years of thankless work, maybe I ought to consider retiring...

It's scaring the hell out of me. I never thought that I'd sink so low. With children, I'm a lamb. But with confrontational adults...that can be another story. Not to sound martyrish.
You make no excuses, but follow up with a complete paragraph of excuses.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:37 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Not by itself but it becomes a threat when making a fist, shaking it twice.
He's making a fist, shaking it twice.
Gonna find out if it's naughty or nice.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:11 AM

3,426 posts, read 3,344,128 times
I went back to work Monday and found out that my boss got reamed by her boss and the big boss. Apparently she got it for letting the matter get out of hand. I got called in, my boss' boss was there and his words to the effect:

"I hope you learned your lesson...next time you get heated, WALK AWAY! You'll never get in trouble for walking away. And the next time your supervisor doesn't intervene and calm it down, walk away and come see me immediately. I'll handle it!"

Old 12-23-2014, 11:13 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
You won the lottery. You work for a bunch of spineless idiots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment