Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 11:41 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,432,243 times

Advertisements

I have respect for all collars. Including "Pink collar", (stay at home Mom's)

Old 07-19-2008, 06:15 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,708,187 times
To each their own. All I care about is the head sitting above the collar.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
To each their own. All I care about is the head sitting above the collar.
Very good point

Old 08-17-2008, 12:06 AM

4 posts, read 24,981 times
Cool don't get Caught Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I started my "working career" years ago as a Blue Collar worker. I worked in a warehouse/stockroom/Shipping/Receiving doing all of the usual labor type things and getting dirty. I even worked as a Drill Press Operator for a while and most always came home smelling like oil and somewhat dirty. Then I got a job where I had my own office/computer and business cards. I never realized that I was "more, much more" cut out for the White Collar type job. I thought to myself, "Now this is VERY COOL". I really enjoyed putting on "office clothes" (no tie) and taking a brief case to work. I spent years doing "labor" work and was darn glad to finally, at age 52, to have a nice office. Oh, I'd go out into the warehouse and help at times, but I knew what my "real" job was (data entry, Purchasing, Inventory Management) and was glad to set back down at my desk. I don't have a Degree, but sure wish that I did! My wife has three Degrees, getting her BA at age 49. She is like me, loves the office environment (she's an Accountant).
Now, do I think that I'm "better" than a Blue Collar work......yes and no. I'm always looking for a new course to take in Logistics or Inventory Control while most Blue Collar workers care less about further education. I got paid quite a bit more taking the office job (hourly wage). I wasn't even a Manager, but I had numerous people coming to my desk and asking me questions about product and our warehouse. I loved it!! I would never go back to the Blue Collar working society, NEVER. Heck, I wouldn't even mind wearing a sport coat and tie to work now.
I have been a Brick Mason, Army Soldier, Loss Prevention Security Officer, Supervisor, went to school for computer programming, was a project manager assistant, salesman for 2 companies. Been to all kinds of seminars for further education in different areas, real estate, contracting, internet marketing when the web was new. Went to truck driving shool about 11 years ago. Bought a truck and became an owner operator after 6 months of driving. Loved it however, I am never satisfied. 3 years later i Took A Plus but decided I didn't want the stress (good money though). I stopped driving for a couple of years and opened a recording studio. 2 years later I was missing the diesel fuel so I started back to driving again. (still have the recording studio but not for public use really. I use it for private projects which include making motivational and materials to give away to at risk and hopefully sell real soon. )

I am still a full time truck driver now and this is the job that I love over everything else that I have ever done (except when it comes to helping other people, working on a non-profit right now just have to get over the learning curve, have no idea what I am doing just know what results I want, and I know how to get them the stuff in between and not being home is what is holding me back)

Many truck drivers out here also have done other things besides drive trucks. As probably many other blue collars workers have done other things besides the blue collar jobs that they have decided to do.

I am trying to figure out how do you think in some way, even the slightest way that you may be better than any blue collar worker.

Its about preference, not categorization. Who cares are white collar or I am blue collar. I like my job. You like your job. You should leave it at that. You make yourself look like a fool saying you think you are better than a blue collar worker. You also make yourself look like a fool by stating that most blue collar workers could care less about furthering their education.

Many blue collar workers pursue additional education and more probably would but can't get it due to time or money constraints. Some can't get it because their thought process may not include seeing additional education as being practical (mind conditioning from generations being told they can't do it, etc, etc. ) Even these people don't necessarily lack the desire to get additional education they just don't realize that where there is a will there is a way. They are not in an environment where that message reaches them.

Your or I are not even better then those people. We are just different. We are just blessed to have a different understanding of life. We are blessed to be of a different mindset.

I urge you to not put yourself on a high horse, instead just be grateful for having a job that you love and know that other people are doing other types of things that they love just as well and are happy.

And pray along with me that those who are not happy doing what they are doing will someday realize that they too can change their lives so that they live rather than exist. And when you get a chance to say this to someone in person, don't look down upon him, instead extend your hand to him and encourage him (or her) you may change someone's life!

Wow. That would top any feeling you've had thus far, trust me, I know.

Thanks for taking the time to read.
Much success to you and all who read this post. Sorry it was so long.

Later,
The Crazy Trucker

Old 08-17-2008, 03:41 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
I respect anyone who trains hard, has a valuable skill, and applies his/her knowledge honestly, with diligence, and a quest for perfection. Whether you're rewiring my house or replacing my coronary arteries - my life's in your hands either way.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:10 AM

The Crazy Driver: That was said so eleguently, and with true meaning. I'm Blue collar, and I found years ago that loving or enjoying what you do is the main thing. I was self employed and I also realized that having a companion or significant other who makes you feel like your worth something and that what your doing, your doing for a reason, helps a person want to do more.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:11 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I respect anyone who trains hard, has a valuable skill, and applies his/her knowledge honestly, with diligence, and a quest for perfection.

You have a long list of requisites for respect. I respect anybody who does what they can, anyone who helps. When I laid guys off I shook their hands and said "thanks for the help".

Old 08-17-2008, 10:18 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
I have worked both and much prefer the blue collar jobs. One question though for the white collar people on the forum. Why do you think you have to stay at home and look over our shoulders while we are working on your house. Like I am going to steal something, hate to break the news to you, but 99.9% of the time, I have better stuff anyway . And even if I didn't, why assume a blue collar person has a low enough moral compass to resort to that?

Want to make an accountants eyes bug out of their head, hand them a mason jar full of bills you find in a crawl space of their house that is covered in dirt and dust. He stood there with his mouth hanging open like a fish out of water when I explained it was under a bunch of old cedar shingles in the old part of the house's crawl space I had to move to get through to run a computer line to his home office. He later admitted to staying around "because with construction workers you never know what may come up missing" and that he had been wrong. Said he didn't know any of the people in his office who wouldn't have tried to get that jar out of the house, and we didn't even open it up to take a look. (turned out there was a little over $7000 in the jar and the newest bills were from the 50's).

Old 08-17-2008, 02:42 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I have worked both and much prefer the blue collar jobs. One question though for the white collar people on the forum. Why do you think you have to stay at home and look over our shoulders while we are working on your house. Like I am going to steal something, hate to break the news to you, but 99.9% of the time, I have better stuff anyway . And even if I didn't, why assume a blue collar person has a low enough moral compass to resort to that? ).

1. I always feel like if I hang out and watch, I might learn something.

2. I want to be available for questions or if they need something.

3. What kind of idiot would let any stranger be at home alone in their house? Yeah, more than likely, people will be honest. If they are not, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:19 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
1. I always feel like if I hang out and watch, I might learn something.
Might get charged for every tiny thing as well, instead of letting the small stuff go and not keeping track of every tiny item that is usually just a gimmie on a job because it is a PITA to have somebody looking over your shoulder all day. Too much hovering and I pack my tools and go home, busy enough already don't need the aggravation on top of a too busy work load already.

On the other hand, if somebody asks how to do something I will gladly take time (without charging for it) and show them what to do. Always willing to teach somebody they are interested in. (Most questions are about 3-way switching and lights.)

Quote:
2. I want to be available for questions or if they need something.
I have never had to turn to a homeowner and ask how to do my job. I get the information at the beginning of the job of what they want done and then do that. Anything else is going to be an extra added by the homeowner as they rethink what they are having done and change their minds.

Quote:
3. What kind of idiot would let any stranger be at home alone in their house? Yeah, more than likely, people will be honest. If they are not, you have no one to blame but yourself.
95% of my customers would be upset you call them Idiots. Most will stay the first half day if it is the first time doing work for them, but 95% will go back to their own work then. I don't have a problem with people staying home while I do the work and didn't intend that to come across that way. What I meant was nobody needs to physically follow me every step around their house.

You would be amazed at the number of people that freely (too freely if you ask me) give out their security codes if they have an alarm system and where the keys to the house are located if nobody is there when we arrive. Sometimes it is un-nerving how much information people will give you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment