Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 01:40 PM

12,115 posts, read 23,385,026 times

Advertisements

Court officer, probation officer, detention officer, security, some social services positions require a degree in any field, dispatcher, pizza delivery, various retail management trainee positions. If she is not in an area that has opportunities, she needs to move to an area that has them.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-06-2015 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: Off topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 01:51 PM

276 posts, read 331,541 times
Apply to any job out there where you could make at least $12/h. Seriously get OUT of retail! Keep applying

Old 01-06-2015, 01:55 PM

35,198 posts, read 31,539,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
It's nothing great but the lab field is pretty easy to get into and fairly easy to get a job in also.
Since her degree isn't in the lab field but it lets her check the have degree box, have her look into lab assistant positions. I can't say what the pay is there but here in KC it is $12-15/hr pretty much at the larger hospitals. If TN is a little cheaper, I'd guess it would pay $10-12, but I wouldn't be surprised if was like $11-14 either. There's shift diff to make a bit more if she doesn't care about a day shift position. Yeah this isn't a high paying job, but its better than minimum wage, and it's fairly easy to get hired as well. I'd guess within a week or two, if there are a few labs/hospitals in the area that is. Those jobs have a high turn over rate, a lot use them to get "clinical" experience for PA/Med/etc school. Anyhow, it'd be a decent enough job to hold someone over until they find a job they really like.

Don't worry about the phlebotomy skills, they'll teach it normally even when they prefer someone have experience in it before hand. The same with the basic life support/cpr. Just take the class once you are hired if they require it.

something like this http://www.simplyhired.com/job/clinical-lab-technician-ft-jcmc-evenings-job/mountain-states-health-alliance/4srf24hluv?cid=hoptphmpkvshihvyvhatvfanclmnfyma, it goes by different titles but pretty much something similar
MSHA has been laying off a lot of folks, at least in operational and non patient care positions, for at least a year or two now. I received an offer there in 2011 at entry-level in their IT department and it paid only $24,000. I doubt the lab techs make even that.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:39 PM

687 posts, read 919,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Federal jobs now a days need veteran preference, know the Director, or a master's degree...I tried with just my bachelor's
As a Veteran with a Bachelor's degree I can tell you neither of those are automatic guarantees. Perhaps if I was faking disability (as tens, or even hundreds of thousands do) then maybe I'd have a shot at federal employment again, but as of now I've given up looking in my field.

Held a security clearance, but unless you have a TS/SCI having anything "less secret" is actually worse than just coming in with a blank slate.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:53 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,015,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I don't think she's applied for police officer positions, but she's heavy-set and would definitely need to get more in shape before tackling that IMO.
What about 911 operator? I know someone who does that because they could not be police for physical reasons.

Old 01-06-2015, 05:59 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,755,724 times
Emigration asks:
"Where would you go looking for general work in her situation?"

Tell her to join the Army. They have specialties that fit her training perfectly.

Whoops. I just noticed the "heavy-set" post above. That lets out the Army opportunity.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
What about 911 operator? I know someone who does that because they could not be police for physical reasons.
That's a good idea I haven't thought of. I don't know why she just won't pack her bags and leave. There is little to no opportunity there, and she's seen that time and again with her friends. She has no remaining family there.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:29 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,245,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
One of my old girlfriends just graduated with a criminal justice degree last May and has been unable to find meaningful work since then, being stuck at a clothing store working part-time making minimum wage. The economy is devastated where she is (TN) and probably among the worst in the country. She had a small inheritance after her mother died, probably enough to keep herself afloat for a year. She's applied to some law enforcement related roles but hasn't gotten much interest. I'm thinking she's just going to have to go somewhere else, take what she can get, then sort it out.

Where would you go looking for general work in her situation?
Perhaps she is learning her first real world lessons. No one is promised a job, college IS a business, and sometimes you have to move to where the jobs are? Just because you start in a small town in Tenneessee does not mean you will be able to stay there? Besides, criminal justice is overloaded. Probably shouldn't have pursued this degree to begin with. If, however, her desire was to really be a cop, she needs to move away to a larger town that is hiring. Can't stay home forever, move on.

Welcome to adulthood. Wait until the kids come along.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:14 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,865,043 times
Retail is where most people with "criminal justice" degrees work. If she moved to a bigger city, she would most likely just work in a bigger retail store. She should go back to school and get a Masters in something with job/income potential.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:15 PM

The original plan was to go to law school. A few years ago, she was very determined and focused on that, and I was pretty certain she was just a few years away from it. Today she seems to have forgotten those dreams and is just settling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment