Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 08:33 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,564,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
A lot of corporate apologists here for companies that are engaging in slimy acts. Probably how they got the position they're in through a buddy/relative. Bottom line the BEST candidate should be hired for the job. However, we know in todays unscrupulous crappy corporate environment that RARELY happens as they have to make way for the useless brown noser, "friend Of the family," or relative even if that individual may be the LEAST qualified of all candidates

To answer your question, yes. Nepotism should be made illegal as the most qualified candidates aren't getting a fair shot just because the hiring manager has some crony, buddy, relative they want for the position. There no "equal opportunity" there sorry
define best, because you sound jaded when you say that

best suited to the company? You don't have to be the one that best acts like a robot and only knows how to do one job. They will eventually automate that away. Best is who will fit the company's future the best. If they only need someone for short term, it won't matter as long as job is done. If they want long term, they pick people who are "best" for that, the technical stuff can always be taught down the road. You can't teach personalities that easily.

Last edited by MLSFan; 05-27-2016 at 08:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 08:48 AM

6,595 posts, read 11,318,087 times
Quote:
A lot of corporate apologists here for companies that are engaging in slimy acts. Probably how they got the position they're in through a buddy/relative. Bottom line the BEST candidate should be hired for the job. However, we know in todays unscrupulous crappy corporate environment that RARELY happens as they have to make way for the useless brown noser, "friend Of the family," or relative even if that individual may be the LEAST qualified of all candidates
Behavior can be abusive. That's a fact. However, that doesn't necessarily mean we should eliminate it without looking at the positive impact. Baby/bathwater deal. Strictly speaking, nepotism simply means favoritism or bias. Can it be unfair? absolutely. But so can just about everything else in life that is based on subjectivity or opinion. Have you ever picked a contractor or a vendor because of a connection or referral? Isn't that nepotism in a technical sense?

Quote:
To answer your question, yes. Nepotism should be made illegal as the most qualified candidates aren't getting a fair shot just because the hiring manager has some crony, buddy, relative they want for the position. There no "equal opportunity" there sorry
So let's say this does happen. To what extent will this go?

Let's say I think you are the best candidate (which is likely based on subjective reasoning). But guess what, I can't hire you becuase you and I worked together in the past and therefore it would be illegal for me to do so?

Or say I started my own business, I now can't even consider hiring my new born son (who's qualifications can't even be established yet) because he's family?

I'm sure we've all been on the short end of favoritism/nepotism. But that is just part of life. You can't legislate everything. Especially when it infringes on one's basic rights like freedom of choice or acts that are subjective in nature (e.g being a jerk).

Old 05-27-2016, 09:42 AM

50,416 posts, read 64,172,963 times
Assuming we are talking about qualified people, why should they be penalized because their relative works somewhere?

Old 05-27-2016, 09:43 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,685,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycnyc11209 View Post
Nepotism meaning managers can hire their friends,relatives etc.
there are some regulations for City/Federal employment
but Private sector like Fortune 500 companies don't have.
I think all hires should be done randomly as long person qualifies for job! like a lottery

Wrong in many instances. Many companies may be able to hire a relative, but often times not in the same department or under the same direct manager. We have many people that work in my company who are related. However, none of them are under the same manager. Heck, because of my wife's level of management, I can't really even get hired in her company because any position I am qualified for eventually rolls back up under her. The only thing that happened differently in the hiring process for them was that their relative gave a recommendation to the hiring manager. The manager still performed the same interviews, and determined whether or not they were a good fit.

I'd take someone I knew to be a hard worker in advance any day over hiring someone off the street who I knew nothing about and rolling the dice.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:57 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,211,056 times
Look at Hollywood

Old 05-27-2016, 11:21 AM

50,416 posts, read 64,172,963 times
I will add tha working for a family business is usually a bad idea, because they will always promote the incompetent relative over non family.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:34 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,823,686 times
Life is not fair. Suck it up, buttercup.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:41 AM

3,048 posts, read 5,010,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
I'd take someone I knew to be a hard worker in advance any day over hiring someone off the street who I knew nothing about and rolling the dice.
Every manager I know keeps tabs on their good subordinates and tries to entice them away when they move. Why not?

Old 05-27-2016, 12:06 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,649,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycnyc11209 View Post
Nepotism meaning managers can hire their friends,relatives etc.
there are some regulations for City/Federal employment
but Private sector like Fortune 500 companies don't have.
I think all hires should be done randomly as long person qualifies for job! like a lottery
HR gets all over nepotism in most large companies. Many don't even allow relations to hold positions that may have overlap or influence...

Of course often nepotism is the whole point of the company, a family biz that is there for the family, not anyone else. And of course they can promote a fool over you or me because they are blood. Most make it very plain to ensure nobody is misled into thinking they may one day be boss...

I left a winning company, even though they were paying me more than they had ever paid any outsider.

They knew that they would lose all the best hires after they got the experience and skills they needed... But still they thought it was worth it...

still they were nice about it as was I. For some years I bumped into them through trade etc. They would be a massive listed company by now , but they picked a different path to ensure jobs for under skilled relations...

Old 05-27-2016, 12:47 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,685,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Every manager I know keeps tabs on their good subordinates and tries to entice them away when they move. Why not?

Absolutely! Every manager wants to build the best team that they can. It reflects good on the manager and the company, and furthermore helps promote solid growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment