Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 06:20 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,195,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
If you have a situation where the workers have no confidence that meritocracy exists ie that doing a good job will be rewarded vs just doing the minimum not to get fired or yelled at then they have no motivation. They get disengaged. Poll after poll has found that worker disengagement is rampant and because the private sector is utterly terrible at motivating workers in part because of the perception (reality) that it is all about politics vs adding value to the company as capitalism should dictate.
Okay, but that doesn't necessarily have to do with nepotism, it's bad management.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 06:53 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,480,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Okay, but that doesn't necessarily have to do with nepotism, it's bad management.
nepotism is bad management.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:30 PM

9,830 posts, read 11,606,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycnyc11209 View Post
Nepotism meaning managers can hire their friends,relatives etc.
there are some regulations for City/Federal employment
but Private sector like Fortune 500 companies don't have.
I think all hires should be done randomly as long person qualifies for job! like a lottery
I work for the state of California. My first day I was told to "watch what I say to people about other people" as you never know who related to who.
Everybody I know in my office has multiple relatives that work with the state.

Old 06-01-2016, 03:36 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,195,728 times
Quote:
I think all hires should be done randomly as long person qualifies for job! like a lottery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
nepotism is bad management.
OP is talking about nepotism or preferential treatment during the hiring process.
Given two equally qualified candidates, hiring the one you like/know/whatever doesn't equate to bad management.
Post-hire, bad management is bad management regardless of who or how they hired.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:41 PM

15,643 posts, read 26,334,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
I work for the state of California. My first day I was told to "watch what I say to people about other people" as you never know who related to who.
Everybody I know in my office has multiple relatives that work with the state.
Frankly, that's good advice for EVERYONE. You just never know when an off hand comment can come back and bite you.

In life, it might be fun to snark, but at work... Keep it to yourself...

Old 06-02-2016, 03:47 AM

105 posts, read 105,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
The only problem I have with nepotism is when the employees are hired because of a relationship but they absolutely do not possess the qualifications and skills needed to do the job. At a small mom and pop shop it's less of an issue, but in big private corporations it is just terrible. If the person is related and can do the job well, that's fine, all is fair and well.
This is so true. I interviewed with a big privately held company. The owner retired and he made his son-in-law the CEO. The SIL had zero experience running a business. You know what he was doing before? He was a radiologist for 30 years. The company wasn't even involved in the medical business in any form. Half the reviews on Glassdoor were about how terrible he is running the company.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:42 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,963,799 times
Quote:
I swear some people would be happy working in nothing less than a totalitarian state.

You seriously want to make illegal the practice of a small business run by a father that wants to leave his business to his son?

Old 09-17-2016, 09:18 AM

2 posts, read 1,334 times
I really see neopotism and discrimination as two sides of the same corn. Either way it is morally wrong. Early in my career I had an option of interviewing two people I knew from school. One was a good friend and the other was more of an acquaintence who was rather annoying. I told my boss that i had a bias for each interview and i stepped out. I kept my mouth shut on how i felt, as to not let my personal feelings steer the process. The annoying guy got the job. I was disappointed but accepted the results. After 5 years of working with this annoying guy, i've learned i was wrong. He's a really hard worker and actually better than me in a lot of respects. I believe he probably was the better choice for the company (but there's no real way to verify that). Unfortunately most people wont give everybody their fair shake.

Life may not be fair, but I try to make it as fair as I possibly can. Discrimination is illegal and I wish there was a way to curb neopotism. That may make me a bad friend tho (it was slightly akward afterwards).

Old 09-17-2016, 03:05 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,198,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickBeta View Post
Discrimination is illegal
Discrimination based on certain protected classes is illegal. It is perfectly legal to discriminate based on behavior, personality traits, sock color, school attended, etc, etc.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:25 AM

2 posts, read 1,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Discrimination based on certain protected classes is illegal. It is perfectly legal to discriminate based on behavior, personality traits, sock color, school attended, etc, etc.
Yeah, I was thinking about the protected classes when I wrote that. Although if we want to go further with defining discrimination as any difference between two people. Then every position with atleast two candidates would end up in discrimination. The word loses its meaning in our topic. (yay word play )

As a thought, maybe we can think of it as a sort of scale. Nepotism on a "positive" side and discrimination on the "negative" side. The reason nepotism is on the + side is because the candidates are hired for their positive relationship with the employer. e.g. friends,spouses, etc. On the discrimination side people are not hired for their negative relationship with the employer. e.g. they smell, pregnant, etc. (There's probably a better word to use than discimination)

As a society we drew a line at the far end of the scale saying it was illegal to hire/notHire in these cases. A person shouldn't lose a job because of their race. But its still fair to not hire someone if they look like ****. Maybe there should also be a line drawn on the neopotism side. Something that says you can't hire you're best friend with no experience over a candidate with years of experience. (Problem is how to draw that line without messing everything up)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment