Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 01:24 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,170,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycnyc11209 View Post
Yes its doomed and more corrupt because of nepotism and favoritsm.
Less favortism=less corruption
I see multiple TD Banks in NYC non-majority asian areas where majority of TD Bank employees are ASIAN!
because ASIAN hiring manager FAVORS asians OVER others. = favortism= NOT fair.
RANDOM QUALIFIED PERSON WILL BE FAIR. at least they qualify for the JOB! what wrong with it.
Hiring manager doesn't even have to do a lot of work. call in people who have asian sounding names (Chan,Lau etc)
You should apply for the jobs that the favored Asians vacated then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 01:42 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,721,259 times
Quote:
Nepotism meaning managers can hire their friends,relatives etc.
there are some regulations for City/Federal employment
but Private sector like Fortune 500 companies don't have.
I think all hires should be done randomly as long person qualifies for job! like a lottery
Many things "should" be, but that doesn't mean making non-compliance should be illegal.

Perhaps we "should" all send our mothers gifts on Mother's Day, but I'd hate to see that required by law.

Old 05-28-2016, 03:21 PM

17,403 posts, read 12,003,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domitian View Post
jesus... our country is doomed.
What do you expect from the generation that gets a trophy for simply participating, because it's not right that there are some people that are actually better than others?

Old 05-28-2016, 04:40 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,078,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
What's worse than nepotism/cronyism today is the attitude that have been adopted by Americans of this "life isn't fair, just deal with it" mentality. Sitting back like a bunch of lazy lemmings while corrupt political and business leaders have flushed this country down the TOILET is what has led us to the mess we are in today

Yes nepotism is one thing that NEEDS to be made illegal and these companies need to be monitored on that shady crap they are doing because what's the alternative? Businesses being completely gone from our shores and only the elite making money while everyone else starves to death

People need to quit being so damn passive and doormats while the scumbags walk all over then because In the end we will all be affected. Intervention is a must in times like these

It's this is passive attitude which will have us all have to relocate to Bangladesh to work in some sweatshop
Quote:
Yes its doomed and more corrupt because of nepotism and favoritsm.
Less favortism=less corruption
I see multiple TD Banks in NYC non-majority asian areas where majority of TD Bank employees are ASIAN!
because ASIAN hiring manager FAVORS asians OVER others. = favortism= NOT fair.
RANDOM QUALIFIED PERSON WILL BE FAIR. at least they qualify for the JOB! what wrong with it.
Hiring manager doesn't even have to do a lot of work. call in people who have asian sounding names (Chan,Lau etc)
How would you accomplish this non-nepotism law? Do you have to file a family tree before being hired? Will dome government agency approve hiring?

Nycnyc, I have seen banks with a lot of white employees. Are they going to suffer the wrath of your anti-nepotism crusade? Are you in favor of a random lottery, or should companies hire in some sort of succession. ,aunt white male, then black female, Asian male, immigrant female, etc. might be tough when no Asian make applies when you have to hire one though.

Old 05-28-2016, 05:07 PM

3,206 posts, read 2,497,556 times
My husband did at a most inopportune time: March 2008. He worked in the tool room at a refinery for an outside contractor. On a Thursday he was told that he needed to report for work out in the units as he was being replaced by a friend of a refinery's supervisor. The friend was a recovering alcoholic who needed a job. No experience, didn't know a peanut grinder from a torque wrench. But this supervisor was a do-gooder Christian, very blatant about his religion to the point of displaying pictures of Jesus in his office and playing Chrustian music loudly. My husband tried working in the units turning wrenches but his bad back problems made working too painful. He was laid off: no severance, no 2 week notice, just a pink slip on a Thursday.

The machinists in the shop were so angry that they took there tools and started their own tool room. We see some of them socially and they still miss my husband's competence and work ethic. His replacement still doesn't have a clue. We survived for two years on UI, food stamps and frugal living until we could collect SSA at 62. It wasn't in our plans but $%#* happens. We never buy fuel from that refinery's stations.

Old 05-28-2016, 06:24 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,565,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clikrf8 View Post
My husband did at a most inopportune time: March 2008. He worked in the tool room at a refinery for an outside contractor. On a Thursday he was told that he needed to report for work out in the units as he was being replaced by a friend of a refinery's supervisor. The friend was a recovering alcoholic who needed a job. No experience, didn't know a peanut grinder from a torque wrench. But this supervisor was a do-gooder Christian, very blatant about his religion to the point of displaying pictures of Jesus in his office and playing Chrustian music loudly. My husband tried working in the units turning wrenches but his bad back problems made working too painful. He was laid off: no severance, no 2 week notice, just a pink slip on a Thursday.

The machinists in the shop were so angry that they took there tools and started their own tool room. We see some of them socially and they still miss my husband's competence and work ethic. His replacement still doesn't have a clue. We survived for two years on UI, food stamps and frugal living until we could collect SSA at 62. It wasn't in our plans but $%#* happens. We never buy fuel from that refinery's stations.
so.... what's your point? Your husband quit because of back problems, what does that have to do with the other guy? Maybe he wouldn't get back problems if they hired someone else? What?

Old 05-28-2016, 10:11 PM

3,206 posts, read 2,497,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
so.... what's your point? Your husband quit because of back problems, what does that have to do with the other guy? Maybe he wouldn't get back problems if they hired someone else? What?
Reading comprehension? He was replaced (he didn't quit) by this recovering alcoholic friend of his supervisor. He was then sent out to the units where there is heavy lifting involved like using wrenches on bolts that are 3" and 4" D. Torque wrenches for hours on end. Then, you need to dismantle a pump or a valve that is bigger than you are at times. Have you ever done that type of physical labor? I didn't think so. He was unable to do this type of work due to a fractured T6 vertebra. He was well respected for his work in the tool room repairing costly specialty tools. He saved that refinery time and money. Now, do you understand? Sheesh!

Old 05-29-2016, 01:22 AM

3,158 posts, read 2,742,447 times
How much credibility does an employer have when the first thing they do is hire a bunch of friends and family?

Old 05-29-2016, 02:31 AM

38 posts, read 31,087 times
Quote:
it is totally unfair to other candidates. fair chance if all had equal chance at getting a job.
I understand if small mom and pop stores.
Why do you "Understand"? I sure don't agree. Worked at one place, the boss would rip his 2nd in command for causing him to spend an extra $15 for shipping, but then his daughter caused him a $500 loss, he shrugged it off. I don't think THAT'S fair.....

Old 05-29-2016, 02:45 AM

38 posts, read 31,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clikrf8 View Post

Sorry, but doubt the veracity of your claim. Workers don't start their "Own tool room" That would be like a group of workers starting their own restaurant In the same building, because they didn't like the cafeteria food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment