Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 07:21 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,917,875 times

Advertisements

Because if I have private knowledge about a person's ability and character, it will save me a lot of money.

And this is America where (theoretically) you do can do as you please, including hiring whom you please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 06:47 AM

1,160 posts, read 712,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycnyc11209 View Post
I think all hires should be done randomly as long person qualifies for job! like a lottery
jesus... our country is doomed.

Old 05-28-2016, 07:16 AM

7,650 posts, read 4,597,880 times
Quote:
Nepotism meaning managers can hire their friends,relatives etc.
there are some regulations for City/Federal employment
but Private sector like Fortune 500 companies don't have.
I think all hires should be done randomly as long person qualifies for job! like a lottery
I'll give you an anecdote of bad nepotism. A company I worked for, on the verge of bankruptcy, sold itself to an ESOP trust. (Employee Stock Ownership Program) Everyone and their brother loves ESOPs, the government so much that it actually doesn't tax the company and Federal Income tax. (Think of it like the stocks you hold in your 401K don't get you any capital gains until you withdraw money)

So, while the employees do own shares, their interests are voted by the top 2 executives. The CEO basically gets to handpick the board, which in turn chooses how much to pay him. In the meantime, the children of the CEO and CFO are now the respective heads of HR, Accounting, IT and Marketing.

The two over Marketing and HR are the worst. I actually started using the HR's space when I started as i hadn't seen anyone there for months and assumed it was empty. The one over Marketing would actually do her sales projection for the month that has just passed by coming to me and asking what sales were for the month. So, she was a little behind, but very accurate.

This is a horrible situation. However, the cure for this is the same. Top talent doesn't want to work for a stooge and leaves. As the children joined the ranks profits have started dropping like a rock.

The situation won't self correct as the CEO and CFO have awarded themselves outlandish payouts. When you reward yourself so much that the company has to borrow money to pay, there's a problem. Eventually the company will be run into the ground, and even if investigators come (and they should) they'll have all of the key bases covered by children.

And all of the normal employees will have their lifetime buildup of stock vaporized.

So, while I don't like the idea of a hire based on a lottery, if you find yourself in a nepotistic little realm, just get out. Don't sell your talent to such a place.

Old 05-28-2016, 08:21 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,189,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post

Would you have hired this person? Would you be happy if a random draw assigned this person to your company?
Helllllllllllllllllllll no!

Old 05-28-2016, 10:44 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Nepotism is one of the great pillars of America. It is as patriotic and noble as mom's apple pie. It signifies that Private Business will be free from arbitrary government regulations and signals that we are truly a free nation. If you make nepotism illegal, next thing you will see is government telling you what job you will do. It's not you choice to be an accountant, doctor, engineer, chef, or machinist; if government says you are to be a toilet cleaner, that/s what you will be. Is this really how simple american employees see things? If so, I weep for our future.
What a ridiculous, laughable post. I weep for anyone who actually believes any of this nonsense. Nepotism run amok can be a very serious problem for any group or organization, and other non-familial employees can spot these problems from a mile away..

Old 05-28-2016, 11:11 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
it is totally unfair to other candidates. fair chance if all had equal chance at getting a job.
I understand if small mom and pop stores.

How old are you? Do you not realize that life itself is not fair?

You're going to have a very hard time getting through life if you think everything should be fair and equal.

A very hard time.

Old 05-28-2016, 11:13 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,986,308 times
What's worse than nepotism/cronyism today is the attitude that have been adopted by Americans of this "life isn't fair, just deal with it" mentality. Sitting back like a bunch of lazy lemmings while corrupt political and business leaders have flushed this country down the TOILET is what has led us to the mess we are in today

Yes nepotism is one thing that NEEDS to be made illegal and these companies need to be monitored on that shady crap they are doing because what's the alternative? Businesses being completely gone from our shores and only the elite making money while everyone else starves to death

People need to quit being so damn passive and doormats while the scumbags walk all over then because In the end we will all be affected. Intervention is a must in times like these

It's this is passive attitude which will have us all have to relocate to Bangladesh to work in some sweatshop

Old 05-28-2016, 11:37 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Yes nepotism is one thing that NEEDS to be made illegal and these companies need to be monitored on that shady crap they are doing because what's the alternative? Businesses being completely gone from our shores and only the elite making money while everyone else starves to death
So nepotism leads to "Businesses being completely gone from our shores and only the elite making money while everyone else starves to death"? Hmmm ... interesting correlation.

Old 05-28-2016, 12:43 PM

546 posts, read 764,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domitian View Post
jesus... our country is doomed.
Yes its doomed and more corrupt because of nepotism and favoritsm.
Less favortism=less corruption
I see multiple TD Banks in NYC non-majority asian areas where majority of TD Bank employees are ASIAN!
because ASIAN hiring manager FAVORS asians OVER others. = favortism= NOT fair.
RANDOM QUALIFIED PERSON WILL BE FAIR. at least they qualify for the JOB! what wrong with it.
Hiring manager doesn't even have to do a lot of work. call in people who have asian sounding names (Chan,Lau etc)

Last edited by nycnyc11209; 05-28-2016 at 01:19 PM..

Old 05-28-2016, 01:03 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Yes its doomed and more corrupt because of nepotism and favoritsm.
Less favortism=less corruption
I see multiple TD Banks in NYC non-majority asian areas where majority of TD Bank employees are ASIAN!
because ASIAN hiring manager FAVORS asians OVER others. = favortism= NOT fair.
RANDOM QUALIFIED PERSON WILL BE FAIR. at least they qualify for the JOB! what wrong with it.
I don't know if what you are saying is true. In any case, have you made an official complaint to the EEOC or are you just working out your issues on the internet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment