Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 05:41 AM

6,489 posts, read 7,845,567 times

Advertisements

It's evolved into something that's rude for particular reasons that I'm not going to get into but the bottom line is that most of it stems from one thing:

The very real possibility of jealousy and resentment.

You see it everywhere, even on these forums. People post all the time about how they have a certain degree but aren't making as much as others. Or how young people are making more than they are or whatever else. I think it's better kept unsaid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 05:49 AM

258 posts, read 301,323 times
If I found out certain coworkers of mine made more money, I would be very upset. A few in particular have been here 3x longer than me, but they do 3x less than me. I know that they make more than me due to seniority, but the specific amount would be something to fixate on. So, not only would I be upset because they were getting paid more for less and inferior work, but I would also be upset with myself because I am letting my employer take advantage of my efficiency and work ethic. I have enough issues to worry about.

Also, it's just rude to talk about money with ANYONE. Certainly there are better things to talk about.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:59 AM

24,573 posts, read 18,434,345 times
I have a very different view. It's everyone's job to actively manage their compensation. You can't do that if you don't know what your peers in your company and your peers in other companies are making. If you don't make a point of collecting that information, you are at a huge disadvantage. Nobody is going to give you a raise to bring you in line with somebody else if you don't negotiate for it. When you're interviewing, if you put down the wrong number for salary requirements, you can easily come in 25% low and be stuck there for many years. No employer is going to voluntarily give you more money. They give you more money to prevent you from leaving and they give you more money to get you to leave your current job. I've had the "my compensation is low compared to...." conversation many times. Early in my career, it was an every-year conversation. If you want the raises and promotions, you have to ask for them from a position of strength.

Of course, if you're mediocre at your job and do the bare minimum, it's pointless to do any of this. You're not in a position of strength. If you make a stink about pay, it lands you on the layoff list since you're flagging yourself as someone who needs to be replaced/upgraded.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:31 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,748,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr11 View Post
If I found out certain coworkers of mine made more money, I would be very upset. A few in particular have been here 3x longer than me, but they do 3x less than me. I know that they make more than me due to seniority, but the specific amount would be something to fixate on. So, not only would I be upset because they were getting paid more for less and inferior work, but I would also be upset with myself because I am letting my employer take advantage of my efficiency and work ethic. I have enough issues to worry about.

Also, it's just rude to talk about money with ANYONE. Certainly there are better things to talk about.
And I've actually been in the situation where a co-worker (with much less seniority, who handed their "difficult" cases over me) was whining about their pay, and making more than me.

The lesson learned was that whining can be just as "valuable" to employers as skills or seniority. Great skill, the ability to whine effectively & seniority are all part of a "package" & they'll all get you paid more.

So, I learned to whine more

Old 06-16-2016, 07:43 AM

35,229 posts, read 31,569,052 times
People in this country generally have an aversion to talking about finances. It seems to be viewed as immodest or putting people on the spot.

Companies do this to keep relations between colleagues smooth. When I moved from Tennessee to Indiana, I went from $11/hr to $50k a year. I did see that entries on Glassdoor that said the salary was $78k, but figured that was just a COL difference between HQ and here. With such a big salary difference, I wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth and ask for more. Once I was there, some of the folks in my role said "they couldn't make it" on $50k, which really made me feel small. We all had similar professional backgrounds with four year degrees.

The salary difference between HQ and here was 30%, and what is $78k 130% of? $60,000. Once I had a better idea of what everyone was making, I could go in and negotiate based on my value to the team, not that "Johnny makes 20% more, so I should to." By then, I was already in the market for other employment for more reasons than the pay gap, but the pay gap was one of them.

Companies will always pay the minimum they need to keep competent staff on.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:46 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,146,135 times
Honestly don't understand how those like the OP think that an individual's pay isn't common knowledge. Many years ago I was a helicopter pilot/mechanic. My pay was published. Went to Saudi Arabia and did the same thing for three years. My pay was published. Fast forward; was in auto sales for the last 24-years until I retired in January. Everyone in sales sees what others make monthly and yearly. Impressive $numbers indeed. Its customary, and is an incentive to do better.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:51 AM

9,502 posts, read 8,500,469 times
I actually don't want to know what my colleagues make. I once found a file on our company's shared drive at a past job that the HR baffoon had mistakenly stored there that contained everyone's salary in the company. While I was one of the highest I was still angered when I found out that a gal who had just been hired at a non-managerial position (I was a manager) had a higher salary than me.

It's no good for anyone other than sheer curiosity.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:01 AM

16,609 posts, read 19,836,379 times
So OP: how much do you make?

Old 06-16-2016, 09:30 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,960,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
I will never understand why our society feels that discussions about pay have to be so secretive and an unspoken topic. Why all the hush hush? Ask someone what they make and they give you a look of horror. It's considered one of the most rude things to do. WHY? I talk openly about my pay and I couldn't give a damn, whether it's terrible or great. Public employees have all their salaries posted online and the positions advertise exactly what the payrange and pay scales are. Why the heck can't we talk about pay more openly?
THIS IS WHY.

FRIENDS WOULD QUICKLY BECOME ENEMIES.

Classic government job doing NOTHING on MY TAX DOLLARS.

You think it's cool and envy him. I think it's disgusting.

Then we'd have a fight about being lazy versus being productive and why it's repeatedly proven that government does everything WRONG and destroys people's values and value to the community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
This reminds me of a job one of my friends has that always makes me envious. He works as an Engineering Tech for a government defense contractor. His department's job is to test circuit boards used in tanks. He said that all they do is take a board out of a box, insert it into this big machine that runs diagnostics, then write a brief report when the diagnostics are done running. (Basically a checklist type thing as the machine prints its own detailed report too). He said the test takes about 2 hours, so the techs just play games, watch movies, surf the web, etc while the tests are running. He said the actual work is about 5 minutes loading and starting the test, and 10 minutes unloading and writing the report. He gets paid 70K a year last I checked with really good benefits and the stability of a government job... He's been there 6 years. What a life.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:43 AM

8,444 posts, read 4,776,927 times
For the same reason that men have been wearing loincloths since the beginning of time. Some folks got a little more than others, and we all get along better when it's not always clear exactly who has more than who.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment