Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 05:36 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,071,414 times

Advertisements

I made the mistake of answering my sister when asked what my income was. . . she immediately said I was a loser and that she made SO MUCH MORE than I did. Gee, thanks Sis.

From that point on, my income was my business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 05:39 AM

486 posts, read 994,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
I don't care to know about others unless there's a point I'm trying to make. The only place I wish I knew salary - job ads. At least give us a range so we don't waste our friggin time.
Agreed! I would say out of the 80 jobs I have applied to in the past 3 months, less than 10 listed the pay range in the job ad. I have been on 10 interviews and only 1 interviewer asked me my salary range. All the interviewers bemoaned to me that they had so many resumes to wade through, they were so overwhelmed. Well, an easy way to cut down on the resumes is to list the salary range in the job ad. Then people like me, who are looking for a minimum of $15/hr will not apply to jobs that pay less than that.

Simple.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:35 AM

35,131 posts, read 31,412,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
It is discouraged,but it is not illegal for employees to talk about pay among themseleves.

In fact,if an employer finds out employees talking about wages,they cannot fire you for doing so.

If they do,someone has a lawsuit on their hands.
Unless you are in some sort of protected class, you can fired for any reason or no reason.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:50 AM

406 posts, read 560,330 times
I don't really see the issue with it. I know that is often discouraged in the workplace because it can create jealousy and unnecessary drama.

Let's say a new guy with (what you perceived to be) less experience joins the team performing a similar role. All is great until you find out he started out making as much or more than you. Now morale goes down and you're irritated because it is not fair. This is just a situation that a lot of managers want to try to prevent.

That being said, my company recently internally published all the job descriptions in IT for each title and tier (Blah I, Blah II, Bah III), general responsibilities and required experience. They also display salary grades and ranges for each.

The reasoning for this is that IT management and HR want to be more transparent and want to encourage lateral and upward mobility for current employees. I get the idea and it's cool to see this info.. But to be honest, people now poke around the org chart and search job titles just for fun now to see what others are making.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:35 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,351,613 times
I was an account manager at a former company and other than it being a stressful position I liked my job and felt I was being paid well. Then I found out that the A/P clerk was being paid more than I was because she had a college degree and I didn't even though I had lots more responsibilities. I discussed it with HR and was basically told if I didn't like it to leave which I did.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:49 AM

35,131 posts, read 31,412,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unixfed View Post
I don't really see the issue with it. I know that is often discouraged in the workplace because it can create jealousy and unnecessary drama.

Let's say a new guy with (what you perceived to be) less experience joins the team performing a similar role. All is great until you find out he started out making as much or more than you. Now morale goes down and you're irritated because it is not fair. This is just a situation that a lot of managers want to try to prevent.

That being said, my company recently internally published all the job descriptions in IT for each title and tier (Blah I, Blah II, Bah III), general responsibilities and required experience. They also display salary grades and ranges for each.

The reasoning for this is that IT management and HR want to be more transparent and want to encourage lateral and upward mobility for current employees. I get the idea and it's cool to see this info.. But to be honest, people now poke around the org chart and search job titles just for fun now to see what others are making.
Wouldn't this be the case though in any situation where salary ranges are on the record? Aren't most public sector jobs like this?

Old 06-17-2016, 09:10 AM

283 posts, read 199,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycnyc11209 View Post
keep your $, political views, relationship private at all costs at work!
people get jealous fast and back stab u and take your position
Very true and everyone should remember this advice.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:23 AM

10,836 posts, read 14,954,991 times
In my industry there's industry published salary surveys and not just on the web.

We, meaning people who do the same thing I do, share because it isn't a big deal. There aren't any secrets because we all want to make more and what better way to do it but to approach your employer letting him know you know you're underpaid and it works. That survey was taken in 2010 and luckily salaries have gone up from then.

And while we are not union most of the companies we work for are so we know what they guys doing the actual labor earn... it's published in a contract so for us it really isn't a big deal.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:31 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,534,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Unless you are in some sort of protected class, you can fired for any reason or no reason.
People in a "protected" class can get fired as well for any reason (except for being in a protected class).

Old 06-17-2016, 09:32 AM

13,288 posts, read 8,484,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
Agreed! I would say out of the 80 jobs I have applied to in the past 3 months, less than 10 listed the pay range in the job ad. I have been on 10 interviews and only 1 interviewer asked me my salary range. All the interviewers bemoaned to me that they had so many resumes to wade through, they were so overwhelmed. Well, an easy way to cut down on the resumes is to list the salary range in the job ad. Then people like me, who are looking for a minimum of $15/hr will not apply to jobs that pay less than that.

Simple.
I respect your desire for pay scale but why are you showing your ace card off the bat? The time to negotiate salary is prior to being hired. You basically are giving them a heads up to negotiate down from your expected wage. My rule of thumb is: What I made before is my business. what I am asking currently work skills wise is both our business. don't give them the ammo to negotiate down. Your transparency is hurting you... Just my two cents. They( potential employer) need to work with you not against you. Once they have your salary you are screwed to get better wages...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment