Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 02:27 PM

857 posts, read 845,589 times

Advertisements

Whether talking with co-workers about one pay, friends, strangers, etc. nothing good will come of it. Witnessed multiple situations like that in the past (others discussing their pay) and it never really ended up well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 02:31 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,895,872 times
I don't care to know about others unless there's a point I'm trying to make. The only place I wish I knew salary - job ads. At least give us a range so we don't waste our friggin time.

Old 06-16-2016, 02:34 PM

679 posts, read 813,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
What difference does it make that the F&B Mgr. may have been a political liberal?
I said OBNOXIOUS LIBERAL, there is a difference. He had to work with me for 18 months or so and me and my bar staff were subjected to his rants of all sorts of subjects, many non business related. He couldn't help himself.

When I found out he really had a fear of guns and a hatred for gun owners, I invited the Executive Chef and other kitchen staff to go shooting with me in the desert. They of course came back to work all pumped about getting to shoot all sorts of firearms and would talk about it in the kitchen.

It was kind of fun watching him get worked up over stuff and I knew which buttons to punch. He really couldn't touch me as I turned the beverage operations around at the resort and the GM knew it was my team that did it.

He got to work all sorts of hours on a fixed salary and would ***** about how much others made per hour as we all got hourly plus the tips we earned behind the bar.

Anyway, he is the one who brought how much everyone got paid to the attention of others, we would have kept quiet if he had not been so obnoxious and disrespectful to the bar staff.

Old 06-16-2016, 02:39 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,569,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortgageboss View Post
I said OBNOXIOUS LIBERAL, there is a difference. He had to work with me for 18 months or so and me and my bar staff were subjected to his rants of all sorts of subjects, many non business related. He couldn't help himself.

When I found out he really had a fear of guns and a hatred for gun owners, I invited the Executive Chef and other kitchen staff to go shooting with me in the desert. They of course came back to work all pumped about getting to shoot all sorts of firearms and would talk about it in the kitchen.

It was kind of fun watching him get worked up over stuff and I knew which buttons to punch. He really couldn't touch me as I turned the beverage operations around at the resort and the GM knew it was my team that did it.

He got to work all sorts of hours on a fixed salary and would ***** about how much others made per hour as we all got hourly plus the tips we earned behind the bar.

Anyway, he is the one who brought how much everyone got paid to the attention of others, we would have kept quiet if he had not been so obnoxious and disrespectful to the bar staff.
You work with a bunch of teenage boys?
That's odd.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:58 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,470,241 times
Wage discrimination is NOT acceptable, which is why our Govt made certain things transparent for employers.

Paying Nurse A ( Male nurse) , 2$ per hour more because it was contended to be mostly female environment
or paying A females less for the same job duties of another male.

How can we openly stop this if people aren't willing to speak up. ?

Its only taboo to those who buy into the secret society of lets not let others know this really goes in or else I could lose my job!

I recall our company policy book basically saying we are not to convey our wages to anyone other then HR.
I tell the IRS though each year when I file taxes, so there is THAT.

Clever how business's try to keep mushrooms in the dark and feed them...well you know.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:16 PM

4,641 posts, read 11,945,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Wage discrimination is NOT acceptable, which is why our Govt made certain things transparent for employers.

Paying Nurse A ( Male nurse) , 2$ per hour more because it was contended to be mostly female environment
or paying A females less for the same job duties of another male.

How can we openly stop this if people aren't willing to speak up. ?

Its only taboo to those who buy into the secret society of lets not let others know this really goes in or else I could lose my job!

I recall our company policy book basically saying we are not to convey our wages to anyone other then HR.
I tell the IRS though each year when I file taxes, so there is THAT.

Clever how business's try to keep mushrooms in the dark and feed them...well you know.
I totally agree with this. The ONLY one who benefits from employees not openly discussing compensation is the employer.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:23 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,711,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
I will never understand why our society feels that discussions about pay have to be so secretive and an unspoken topic. Why all the hush hush? Ask someone what they make and they give you a look of horror. It's considered one of the most rude things to do. WHY??

You can certainly discuss your own salary if you want, but yes, it's rude to ask someone how much they earn. It's a personal question. It is not any of your business what they make at their job. Most people who ask this question are just being nosy or want to compare out of insecurity, or worst case scenario, if you earn under a certain amount they will want to rub elbows with somebody else. I've known people who worked the social scene this way, trying to be nosy and find out who had the money. Its just gross behavior.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:04 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,131,899 times
Work at a place where everyone in the organization's salary is public record and searchable on the Internet and you'll understand. You may love it as an employee, but it makes a manager's job more complex. There are good, solid reasons why people get paid different salaries for doing the same job, but when you're the lower-paid employee, your mind races to illogical reasons.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:58 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,698,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Work at a place where everyone in the organization's salary is public record and searchable on the Internet and you'll understand. You may love it as an employee, but it makes a manager's job more complex. There are good, solid reasons why people get paid different salaries for doing the same job, but when you're the lower-paid employee, your mind races to illogical reasons.
And I think, as someone in hr, you'll concede that you pay some people more than they deserve because they whine a lot. And you underpay those that will quietly accept that, regardless of skill, dedication, effort, seniority, etc.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:54 AM

9,011 posts, read 13,850,777 times
It is discouraged,but it is not illegal for employees to talk about pay among themseleves.

In fact,if an employer finds out employees talking about wages,they cannot fire you for doing so.

If they do,someone has a lawsuit on their hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment