Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 11:06 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,499,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
... in a rural area.
This is usually the situation. Tech work tends to be near larger city metro areas. People that live in rural areas that are far away from large and medium sized metro areas will have trouble finding a tech job. Yes, there are some in the smaller areas but the pay is often lower and often it's hard for someone just starting out to qualify for these jobs. The larger cities have a much larger number of tech jobs and this is where the opportunies are. Yes, remote work is possible in the tech industry but it's still tough to get especially for a newbie.

Bottom line, newvies will be most successful finding their entry level jobs when they either move or commute to a decent sized metro area where the jobs are located.

You will see this to be true even on this city data forum. When a techie discusses having trouble finding work you will find that the Q & A in that thread discovers the person lives in a smaller town/semi rural area that is far from a big city metro area.

Medical work is the exception because medical care is spread across the country, even is rural areas and small towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 11:21 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,927,409 times
Health care can be pretty lucrative in smaller towns and rural areas. You have a large number of older folk there, and you have new retirees moving to such places for a lower COL. College grads generally don't want to live in such areas so the competition will be lower.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:25 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,347,227 times
I bet none of those STEM Grads have any Internships or previous work experience during their years in college

Old 07-26-2016, 11:36 AM

6,658 posts, read 4,750,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
I bet none of those STEM Grads have any Internships or previous work experience during their years in college
How are people supposed to get jobs in those when their part-time gig at Mc D's won't cover it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
america has gone to crap when not even STEM grads can find work. And there's no way around it

I'm all for relocating to other countries for employment if possible. Things are going get worse before they get better (that's IF they get better at all). Our elected officials have sold us down the river and we continue to be brain dead sheep and let it happen
Companies are sending lots of our jobs overseas and don't see any of them coming back anytime soon.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
How are people supposed to get jobs in those when their part-time gig at Mc D's won't cover it?

Companies are sending lots of our jobs overseas and don't see any of them coming back anytime soon.
Anyone smart enough would take an internship ( paid or unpaid ) in their related field.

There are more internships opportunities than McDonald jobs themselves.

Mcdonalds really does not count as Professional Experience

Old 07-26-2016, 12:01 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,991,770 times
Quote:
Call me crazy, but I think if you can get through a STEM Degree at a university level you should be of some use to SOME employer out there. :roll eyes:

I think someone with a bachelor's degree should be able to "learn the ropes" on the job if they can pick up a bachelor's at an accredited university.

Bottom line, companies are just being CHEAP despite making record profits. I don't get the constant "defending" of greedy corporate entities just like I don't get the "defending" of freaking billionaires

Old 07-26-2016, 12:32 PM

850 posts, read 902,863 times
Quote:
Anyone smart enough would take an internship ( paid or unpaid ) in their related field.

There are more internships opportunities than McDonald jobs themselves.

Mcdonalds really does not count as Professional Experience
Yes, but internships aren't always easy to get. At my company they interviewed 20 candidates for one intern spot in my department and 16 of the candidates have already graduated.

The intern that my department hired is in the process of obtaining a full time chemist position in another department that had 50 applicants and 10 onsite interviews. Only 1 candidate will be lucky to get the position.

The pharmaceutical industry is saturated with so many biology and chemistry grads from folks who have failed to get into med/dental/pharmacy school that they are fighting for the handful of full time science positions that are available and there are not enough jobs for all of the chem/bio graduates.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:38 PM

35,096 posts, read 31,339,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
This is usually the situation. Tech work tends to be near larger city metro areas. People that live in rural areas that are far away from large and medium sized metro areas will have trouble finding a tech job. Yes, there are some in the smaller areas but the pay is often lower and often it's hard for someone just starting out to qualify for these jobs. The larger cities have a much larger number of tech jobs and this is where the opportunies are. Yes, remote work is possible in the tech industry but it's still tough to get especially for a newbie.

Bottom line, newvies will be most successful finding their entry level jobs when they either move or commute to a decent sized metro area where the jobs are located.

You will see this to be true even on this city data forum. When a techie discusses having trouble finding work you will find that the Q & A in that thread discovers the person lives in a smaller town/semi rural area that is far from a big city metro area.

Medical work is the exception because medical care is spread across the country, even is rural areas and small towns.
Frankly, not everyone wants to live in major metros nor should that be the expectation. I'm looking at various small towns because I'm sick of constant congestion, crime, and the limited lifestyle here in central Indiana

Old 07-26-2016, 12:40 PM

22,603 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailSymbolizes View Post
Hey whatever gets yer rocks off sweetheart, far be it from me to judge....
Self-description, not mine.
I copied it from one of his sites (hence the quotes).

Old 07-26-2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Chemist View Post
Yes, but internships aren't always easy to get. At my company they interviewed 20 candidates for one intern spot in my department and 16 of the candidates have already graduated.

The intern that my department hired is in the process of obtaining a full time chemist position in another department that had 50 applicants and 10 onsite interviews. Only 1 candidate will be lucky to get the position.

The pharmaceutical industry is saturated with so many biology and chemistry grads from folks who have failed to get into med/dental/pharmacy school that they are fighting for the handful of full time science positions that are available and there are not enough jobs for all of the chem/bio graduates.
Interesting

Every industry seems to be saturated at this point.

I never found it hard to find internship but maybe because I'm in the technology field. There were a grip load of internships during my college years. I don't know im guessing everyone has a different experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment