Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 05:19 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,429,414 times

Advertisements

The guy in this video is clueless.

I watched his "analysis" of the CPA license yesterday and I feel bad for anyone who actually listens to his advice. He's ignorant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 08:11 AM

530 posts, read 637,623 times
Quote:
I don't think they hire inexperienced grads out of elite schools either. difference being that people who attend elite schools also push themselves to get experiences while in college as well, so they already come out with some working knowledge of the field. Also the elite schools push their students to look for those kinds of experiences as well. An equally motivated student at a non elite school does as well. Elite schools just pre-screen their students for those traits, so upon graduation, their students come out more ready for whatever they do
Correct. From my own "top 20" college experience, students at elite schools are doing internships and other opportunities to make themselves attractive to employers upon graduation, that is a big reason why they have better job placement. Or they are planning to go to a graduate program where the "elite name" does help. However it is also easier for them, employers want to get summer interns from elite colleges so it is easier for them to get this experience.

But yes, you also have to be willing to relocate for work. Just the reality, you have to go where the jobs are, if you are in the middle of nowhere there aren't going to be a lot of opportunities.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:17 AM

7,182 posts, read 9,313,073 times
On my last trip to San Francisco my Uber driver was a 25 year old female with a degree in math. Although she had completed some IT courses, she said that she couldn't find a technical job with just a bachelors degree. She said that the companies were now all requiring advanced degrees.

They are that picky because they can be. That says it's a tough time to be job hunting.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:25 AM

1,188 posts, read 958,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Chemist View Post
The pharmaceutical industry is saturated with so many biology and chemistry grads from folks who have failed to get into med/dental/pharmacy school that they are fighting for the handful of full time science positions that are available and there are not enough jobs for all of the chem/bio graduates.
Yep, bio/chem/biochem/etc. majors are the ones who face the most saturated and/or competitive career fields. At the large school I went to, they're the ones who are still taking 700-student grade-curved lectures during their senior year. Out of every 700, maybe 10 will get into med school, 20 will get into pharacy school, the rest will fight over $15/hr lab positions.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:30 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,921,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Internships in your field of study aren't easy to get now for most stem fields.

Like everything else the competition is getting tougher and more and more people are dropping off since they can't get entry level jobs without experience. Plus businesses don't see much value in offering internships. Everyone just wants to hire that experienced person.

When 90% of all new jobs created since the recession have gone to college grads, that is a whole lot of college educated people working low wage retail, food and service jobs.
Oh how I know as I work in retail. Years ago the only people we could get were barely literate or came to work drugged up or drunk. Now everyone has a bachelors degree, but seemingly never in STEM.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:55 AM

1,188 posts, read 958,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
not sure I agree with you on this, or rather, I don't think they hire inexperienced grads out of elite schools either.
Eliteness trumps "experience" most of the time.

Candidate A:
* Graduated from MIT
* 3-month internship at Google

Candidate B:
* Graduated from Santa Clara Baptist College
* 3 1-year internships at small companies

Which one is going to get interviews for more lucrative jobs?

Old 07-27-2016, 09:13 AM

191 posts, read 230,480 times
The economy is sooooo bad overall that even STEM degrees are a dime a dozen. The employer's market we're in basically "negates" most college degrees (most people already having a college degree doesn't help either), reducing them to the equivalent of a high school diploma.

Seemingly the only people doing well these days are entrepreneurs/small business - the ones that don't fail anyway. Right now is perhaps THE worst time to be a college graduate/employee type in recent times.

Yeah, boomers often mention the downturns in 70s and 80s as being comparable.... but the key difference is in both of those cases the economy BOUNCED BACK to normal eventually. With our generation the economy crashed in 2007-2010 and has NEVER bounced back, it's just "stayed down" like a flat-lining EKG.

Last edited by CuriousMiscer; 07-27-2016 at 09:22 AM..

Old 07-27-2016, 09:16 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,591,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMiscer View Post
Seemingly the only people doing well these days are entrepreneurs/small business - the ones that don't fail anyway.
I went to college and I work in STEM. That's called "selection on the dependent variable".

Old 07-27-2016, 09:17 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,345,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Eliteness trumps "experience" most of the time.

Candidate A:
* Graduated from MIT
* 3-month internship at Google

Candidate B:
* Graduated from Santa Clara Baptist College
* 3 1-year internships at small companies

Which one is going to get interviews for more lucrative jobs?
Most Employees look for Candidates with at LEAST some experience.

The more Work Experience you have the better.

Most companies are not really going to care where you got your degree from.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:19 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,345,913 times
[quote=CuriousMiscer;44912534]The economy is sooooo bad overall that even STEM degrees are a dime a dozen. The employer's market we're in basically "negates" most college degrees, reducing them to the equivalent of a high school diploma.

Seemingly the only people doing well these days are entrepreneurs/small business - the ones that don't fail anyway. Right now is perhaps THE worst time to be a college graduate/employee type.[/QUOTE]

A lot of people say that but it is still worth it to be a College graduate.

The problem is that kids without work experience out of college will experience many problems finding a job ( does not matter what they major in)

They need to prove to Employers they have at least some very related work experience in their field. Even if it means unpaid or volunteering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment