Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 12:52 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,350,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Call me crazy, but I think if you can get through a STEM Degree at a university level you should be of some use to SOME employer out there. :roll eyes:

I think someone with a bachelor's degree should be able to "learn the ropes" on the job if they can pick up a bachelor's at an accredited university.

Bottom line, companies are just being CHEAP despite making record profits. I don't get the constant "defending" of greedy corporate entities just like I don't get the "defending" of freaking billionaires
I can only speak for Technology/IT ( Support Field) but I never did have trouble finding working out of college or during my years in college.

They had lots of internships offered for technology students not just in Support, but those who wanted to be programmers, network techs, computer support, desktop repair etc.
They still do I believe.
Most of them are paid.

Not every company was cheap but where I ended up interning at is pretty much the same place I end up working at now for 9 years now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 01:10 PM

24,574 posts, read 18,384,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Frankly, not everyone wants to live in major metros nor should that be the expectation. I'm looking at various small towns because I'm sick of constant congestion, crime, and the limited lifestyle here in central Indiana
If that's your decision criteria, don't complain when you have nothing but lousy jobs available to you.

My first job was 3 1/2 hours away from where I'm from. The closest job I ever had was 67 miles from my home town but an impossible commute at rush hour. Like pretty much anybody in a tech career, you move to where the jobs are even if the job isn't in a desirable place. At some point when you're established and have a good track record, you can start looking for more geographically desirable jobs. The problem with those is if you lose your job, you probably have to move. If you're working in a high density area, you just walk across the street and take a better job at higher pay.

Just because somebody has a STEM degree doesn't mean they're employable. I used to do a lot of campus recruiting at one point in my career. I probably flushed 90% of the people I interviewed for one reason or another. I always try to hire junior people I think have the potential to be better than I am. They're going to come up to speed quickly and be very valuable in a couple of years.

Old 07-26-2016, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
If that's your decision criteria, don't complain when you have nothing but lousy jobs available to you.

My first job was 3 1/2 hours away from where I'm from. The closest job I ever had was 67 miles from my home town but an impossible commute at rush hour. Like pretty much anybody in a tech career, you move to where the jobs are even if the job isn't in a desirable place. At some point when you're established and have a good track record, you can start looking for more geographically desirable jobs. The problem with those is if you lose your job, you probably have to move. If you're working in a high density area, you just walk across the street and take a better job at higher pay.

Just because somebody has a STEM degree doesn't mean they're employable. I used to do a lot of campus recruiting at one point in my career. I probably flushed 90% of the people I interviewed for one reason or another. I always try to hire junior people I think have the potential to be better than I am. They're going to come up to speed quickly and be very valuable in a couple of years.
Yup usually in large cities there are typically more jobs and more chances of getting hired.

And Im not so sure about the below comment it depends really who your talking to rather then generalizing.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:12 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,195,363 times
Internships in your field of study aren't easy to get now for most stem fields.

Like everything else the competition is getting tougher and more and more people are dropping off since they can't get entry level jobs without experience. Plus businesses don't see much value in offering internships. Everyone just wants to hire that experienced person.

When 90% of all new jobs created since the recession have gone to college grads, that is a whole lot of college educated people working low wage retail, food and service jobs.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Internships in your field of study aren't easy to get now for most stem fields.

Like everything else the competition is getting tougher and more and more people are dropping off since they can't get entry level jobs without experience. Plus businesses don't see much value in offering internships. Everyone just wants to hire that experienced person.

When 90% of all new jobs created since the recession have gone to college grads, that is a whole lot of college educated people working low wage retail, food and service jobs.
I don't think so.
I don't know what area you live in but that is absolutely not my experience I seen.

There are still lots of places looking to train new grads and have internships filled up but some managers complain they can't find college students to fill these positions and depending on the company there are sometimes multiple positions.

I think at some point people manage to get experience one way or another but if you are a college grad coming out with no experience at all. YOU ARE DEFINITELY IN TROUBLE

Old 07-26-2016, 02:37 PM

35,171 posts, read 31,490,161 times
Quote:

It's not only tech that's like this - virtually any office job that is not automated or offshored away has relocated to major metro areas. You're around thirty years older than me, and growing up, we still had accounting offices, bank HQs, etc., in my TN town. These days, most of those jobs that remain in TN are in Nashville. A select few metro areas are becoming consistently more prosperous while the rest of most states' economy languish.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:41 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,473,962 times
Quote:
If potential STEM employees are so numerous that you can flush that high a percentage of candidates for whatever nonsense that pretty much confirms the point. There is a huge glut of talent.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:42 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,473,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Chemist View Post
Yes, but internships aren't always easy to get. At my company they interviewed 20 candidates for one intern spot in my department and 16 of the candidates have already graduated.

I've seen that as well especially for paid internships. However, I've seen people interviewed all afternoon for an unpaid internships.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:58 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,195,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
If potential STEM employees are so numerous that you can flush that high a percentage of candidates for whatever nonsense that pretty much confirms the point. There is a huge glut of talent.
There are plenty of grads.

When I graduated in engineering everybody got work, no internship needed and employers had no problem training.

I scribbled up a resume after I graduated, sent out 10, got 5 interviews and 3 offers. All within two weeks and two of those offers came after one single interview.

Those days are gone because we have way too many grads for the available jobs.

If we had a shortage of people companies would lower their expectations, train, increase wages significantly etc... And we aren't seeing that.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:10 PM

944 posts, read 1,215,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
not sure I agree with you on this, or rather, I don't think they hire inexperienced grads out of elite schools either. difference being that people who attend elite schools also push themselves to get experiences while in college as well, so they already come out with some working knowledge of the field. Also the elite schools push their students to look for those kinds of experiences as well.

An equally motivated student at a non elite school does as well. Elite schools just pre-screen their students for those traits, so upon graduation, their students come out more ready for whatever they do
This this this... all of my college friends went to the University of Michigan, elite by any measure, and only two are not presently under employed. The majority hold $14 an hour call center positions. Some are holding out for grad school, but most are trying to gain a toehold from which to even begin building a career. The ones who have good jobs are also the ones who were willing and able to move for work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment