Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 08:42 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,958,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Anyone else think this is BS? 20k for a wedding photographer? I realize wedding photographers are insanely expensive and imo, one of the biggest racquets out there. But $20,000? You're trying to tell me that your in-law can work 3 weddings and make more money than the average american household earns a year?

Not buying it.
Yup. You can. You need to be good. And travel in the proper circles. You think people spendin $300k on weddings want a low end photographer? Nope.

The price of the photographer scales with the cost of the wedding. A lot of wedding photographers suck. Being great at it is an in demand skill. Unlike portraits there is no do over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 08:51 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,405,262 times
When I have put away $5 million for me and my wife and paid off our home I will sit down on the beach and think about this career thing and ask if it was worth it or not.

Many times I think to myself, I could have done so much more. I have a friend that has a couple hundred million and it gets me wondering, why did't I do that? Met a man years ago that owned several large nationwide companies. He has a net worth of over a billion. At the time I met him he was asking what it is I do. I had no idea that he owned the place, a large office building that housed his corporate offices for his multiple entities. During our walk to the entrance I found out that he owned it all. Back then, I told him I would love to try doing what he did. His words of advice, or warning really, were that I would need to prepare to lose friends, prepare to have people come after me from all sides, prepare to work hard and long hours to build the empire. Not once did he say that it is impossible. His thoughts were only that to get to his level of success you need to be prepared to pay the price.

It is easy building a small net worth of a million. It is easy building a net worth of $5 million. Takes discipline and lots of time but it is very easy to do. You have to give up some things. I drive a 14 year old Chevy Van. We watch our budget. The real reward comes from putting yourself out there and placing your self in a position that effects lots of other people. When what you do effects people that are building careers.

A career to me is in learning something that you can do very well and getting paid for that thing. I have built a nice career in the facilities industry. Started as a locksmith at a full service shop. Became a facilities locksmith. While working at the hospital I learned every aspect of running a large facility. Became a lead within my department, went in to teach others within the department and the industry. Jumped into Project management and have been doing well where I am at now. Work does not consume my life but I do put plenty of hours in willingly. I have a lot to do and willingly put in the time. At the same time we spend a lot of time doing things as a family. We live near the ocean and spend time on the water. I also have season tickets for USC Football and also enjoy going to other sports within the school. My kids love that as well.

Putting the hours in has its rewards but then I love what I do.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:09 AM

334 posts, read 222,100 times
I know a gal who worked with a drama group that traveled all over the country. They put on shows like Sesame Street and the like. She was part of the crew and didn't have to pay for room/board/food, so she just socked that money away. I think she did this for about 5 years. After that, she had some good paying jobs and has recently "retired" at 45 years old. She doesn't have to work, but works clerical jobs part-time now just to have something to do with her spare time.

She didn't consider her job on the road a career. She considered it a way to save up some money for future. Wish I had done something like that in my 20's.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:21 AM

78 posts, read 39,462 times
I don't want a career either. I just want a job to support myself, not spend years struggling through higher education with a mountain of debt afterward. I want to work to live, not live to work.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:21 AM

2,193 posts, read 1,390,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
I'm in my late 20s and I still don't have a "career plan." I think that I just don't want a career, and that people in the United States put too much emphasis on their career in their lives.

I want to have a job I like, but I don't really care to have a career. I want to LIVE my life and not have it revolve around work.

Thoughts?
You know, I used to think this way when I was your age, but eventually I realized I had to work 40 hours regardless. Might as well make those 40 hours financially worth it.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:44 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,075,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
Depends on the job, I have a job that pays 6 figures, has a defined pension plan that includes medical insurance for life, plus a matching 401k, 5 figure bonuses, absolutely free medical, dental, vision insurance for family coverage and at the end of my day I go home and enjoy the really important things in my life. No stress of a career I clock out and I’m done for the day.
Now take the money and insurance and perks, then add loving what you do and having what you do satisfy passions and creativity. THAT is what a career is. And it doesn't mean neglecting family or leisure. Having a satisfying career means that you are engaged and in gear for nearly every waking moment of your life. It's a good way to live.

Old 11-21-2017, 11:16 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,669,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Now take the money and insurance and perks, then add loving what you do and having what you do satisfy passions and creativity. THAT is what a career is. And it doesn't mean neglecting family or leisure. Having a satisfying career means that you are engaged and in gear for nearly every waking moment of your life. It's a good way to live.
My job provides plenty of opportunities to be creative and I am passionate about what I do. I like my job very much, I also like letting someone else worry about the business end while I’m just doing my job. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 11-21-2017, 11:16 AM

384 posts, read 385,153 times
Quote:
I'm in my late 20s and I still don't have a "career plan." I think that I just don't want a career, and that people in the United States put too much emphasis on their career in their lives.

I want to have a job I like, but I don't really care to have a career. I want to LIVE my life and not have it revolve around work.

Thoughts?
I don't see anything wrong with that

Old 11-21-2017, 11:42 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,462,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Yeah sure... lol and they describe guys who want to have fun and not work as total winners right?
My criteria is quite simple - can he support himself. If they simply REFUSE to do that, then out they go. Supporting yourself is entirely possible with a "job".

Old 11-21-2017, 12:08 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,276,209 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
More power to you.

Learn a skill/trade using your hands, carpentry, plumbing, lawn work, digging ditches....whatever and you'll always be able to support yourself....I don't care what kind of degree a person has, stuff happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment