Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 10:13 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,923,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Have to agree.
"So the quicker employees learn their place" Sounds like were just peasants in the kingdom you employers have made. Whats, next? Want us to start bowing down to you each time you let us enter the doors? If my boss ever told me that, he be sucking through a straw along with the business. Should be, Quicker employers learn their place, the better the world will be. You know.. like paying living COL wages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 10:20 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,670,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
"So the quicker employees learn their place" Sounds like were just peasants in the kingdom you employers have made. Whats, next? Want us to start bowing down to you each time you let us enter the doors? If my boss ever told me that, he be sucking through a straw along with the business. Should be, Quicker employers learn their place, the better the world will be. You know.. like paying living COL wages.
You talk a good game, but you've never owned a business! And judging from your posts, I highly doubt you ran a company as well. You've got a lot of anger about employers. You act like they owe you something. They don't. In fact, no one owes you a damn thing.

Old 12-08-2017, 04:36 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,923,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
You talk a good game, but you've never owned a business! And judging from your posts, I highly doubt you ran a company as well. You've got a lot of anger about employers. You act like they owe you something. They don't. In fact, no one owes you a damn thing.
Never said i own one.. help ran one with restrictions but was always in know on books. .Dont have anger about employers. I just have no feelings for the owners. I mean if your banking in your account after bills are paid 1.5m+ and crying because your broke, and you claim you cant afford to give more to your employees. thats the problem. You aint see broke till you live pay check to check, or have to put the light bill away so you can put food on the table. Due to rent increase. Things out of control of the "peasant that i should know my place"

Old 12-08-2017, 05:35 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,670,655 times
Quote:
Never said i own one.. help ran one with restrictions but was always in know on books. .Dont have anger about employers. I just have no feelings for the owners. I mean if your banking in your account after bills are paid 1.5m+ and crying because your broke, and you claim you cant afford to give more to your employees. thats the problem. You aint see broke till you live pay check to check, or have to put the light bill away so you can put food on the table. Due to rent increase. Things out of control of the "peasant that i should know my place"
Most of what you typed doesn't even make sense! Who ever said business owners are millionaires? Yes, there are some out who are, but the vast majority of small business owners are not millionaires.......far from it! Many also don't even earn a weekly paycheck. They get paid when there's money. You have no idea if they're making ends meet. You don't know anything about them.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:05 PM

310 posts, read 448,045 times
A bit off topic, but it’s even worse when your family who owns the Business betrays you. That’s what happened to my husband and I. My father offered my husband at a young age to work for him and then eventually my husband and brother would take over the business. Who would say no to that? After 25 years there were some hints but we could not fathom the idea of family betraying us, so dismissed petty comments over the last few years. Then, my brother and father decided they didn’t want my husband to be part of it anymore and informed my husband that he was just going to be an employee. My husband put in many hours over the years without pay, willing to put in extra time for the family business for which my brother and husband were going to take over. They never complained of his work or work ethic, they only assassinated his character. Bottom line, my brother got greedy and betrayed us. My dad went along with it. Husband quit, got another job And was very much appreciated. We no longer talk to my father and brother. To ask, it was never about money. It was about trust and then be in betrayed. My advice for anyone who goes into business with family is to have a written contract, Or better yet don’t go into business with family.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:06 PM

170 posts, read 317,365 times
As a business owner myself, I would never tell my employees the company is going down the hole. I'm not obligated to say anything. If I did, I'm risking employees stealing company information ahead of time and not coming into work. I opened up shop to make money. My employees decided to work for me by choice, I did not force anyone to work.

Just because someone owns a business doesn't mean they make a ton of money. Lots of small businesses don't make much at all.

I don't know how much the company you worked for made but if they pocketed 1.5million+ all good for them. There's a huge sacrifice that they did to start it.

Also at one point in my life I was pay check to pay check, so don't judge business owners about being "broke". Business only get paid when customers pay. You're also talking about "rent increase", don't forget businesses get increases all the time. Lots of behind the scenes

Business are obligated to pay employees first. Owners always get paid last. You clock out after 8 hours, business owners work 24/7/365 even on vacation.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:56 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,803,054 times
Quote:
You act like you're equal to the employer. You're not. You are providing a service that the employer is willing to pay for. Today. Maybe not tomorrow. Things can change - the economy, sales, expenses, taxes, insurance, lawsuits, family issues, health. As an employee, you wouldn't necessarily be aware of any of these issues.

It's not a kingdom, but the employer is in charge. It's my money. I decide. Wages are just one thing on the table when evaluating the future. I have to plan long term.

I don't have to keep operating my business forever. I'm not a slave to the employees, just like employees aren't slaves to me. They can leave any time to pursue better opportunities.

And that's why you need to learn your place and not expect anything more. You can always start your own business and have more control of your future.

Old 12-09-2017, 10:09 AM

13,008 posts, read 18,954,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
Definitely corporate for me as that has been my adult employment experience.

I was fired from a family owned business. My father owned a drugstore in a small town. My brother and I were required to work in it every summer. During the summer of my senior year in high school he told me that if I continued to show up late I would be fired. I showed up late the next day, was fired, and spent the remainder of my summer at the lake with my friends.
I guess in your case bring a Son of the Boss wasn't so good, until you got fired!

Old 12-09-2017, 12:41 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,586,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Exactly. So many people don't understand this.

If we are in the red, we pay our employees first before my husband gets paid. If we were to close, that would be because we had to lay off our employees one by one, and then finally, knowing we owed too much to vendors and the government and insurance and workmans comp, and everybody else in the dang world (it seems), that we won't be paid at all for a long long time, hell we're lucky we at least own the building our shop is in, what if we were leasing that too?

And to top it off, we don't have the luxury of just going out and getting another job. No other owner is going to hire a former owner, because they think that they aren't going to want to work as hard because they were once the boss, and it gets difficult.
Judging by the OP’s lack of ability to communicate in a written form, minimal understanding of fair market economics and general miss on the concept of commerce... you’re pissing you not the wind, my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment