Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 06:17 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,745,021 times

Advertisements

Interesting, I wouldn't have expected that in that type of position. Once you get your certification, you shouldn't need an internship... I could see a short probationary period (3-6 months) where you're paid less during training, but unpaid work? And for a year? That is insane.

I'm in a completely different field and I'm a contractor. I occasionally get offers for "a job where you'll get tons of experience that will make up for not being paid." ROFL I've been doing this for a decade and I've never taken a job for the experience, so I'm certainly not about to start now. Please. I have no trouble finding clients who pay the rates I'm looking for, though. It's not common enough for it to really affect me other than creating an annoyance.

I'm not sure what you can do to change it. If you can get in at minimum wage (as opposed to unpaid), you could take it, knock their socks off and make yourself extremely useful, then ask for a substantial raise at the six month mark. But that's betting on yourself for half a year... and that's if you can get a paid position to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 06:36 PM

12 posts, read 16,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Interesting, I wouldn't have expected that in that type of position. Once you get your certification, you shouldn't need an internship... I could see a short probationary period (3-6 months) where you're paid less during training, but unpaid work? And for a year? That is insane.

I'm in a completely different field and I'm a contractor. I occasionally get offers for "a job where you'll get tons of experience that will make up for not being paid." ROFL I've been doing this for a decade and I've never taken a job for the experience, so I'm certainly not about to start now. Please. I have no trouble finding clients who pay the rates I'm looking for, though. It's not common enough for it to really affect me other than creating an annoyance.

I'm not sure what you can do to change it. If you can get in at minimum wage (as opposed to unpaid), you could take it, knock their socks off and make yourself extremely useful, then ask for a substantial raise at the six month mark. But that's betting on yourself for half a year... and that's if you can get a paid position to begin with.
Most programs require a short internship, usually a month or so, before the certification test. I'm lucky to have a decent job already its just a little short on hours.

I hate that "paid in experience" crap. You cant eat experience or pay rent in it.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:56 PM

15,589 posts, read 7,620,110 times
If the following 6 rules aren't followed, the employer is probably breaking the law (from Unpaid Internship Rules - FindLaw

Six-Part Test for Unpaid Internships

The vast majority of interns working at for-profit organizations must be paid at least the minimum wage and any applicable overtime. Technically, paid interns are temporary employees and treated virtually the same as regular employees with respect to labor law. But you may legally hire an unpaid intern if the following six criteria are met:
  1. The internship, even though it includes actual operation of the facilities of the employer, is similar to training which would be given in an educational environment.
  2. The experience is for the benefit of the intern.
  3. The intern does not displace regular employees but works under close supervision of existing staff.
  4. The employer providing the training derives no immediate advantage from the activities of the intern and on occasion its operations may actually be impeded.
  5. There is no guarantee of a job at the conclusion of the internship.
  6. Both parties understand that the intern is not entitled to wages for the internship.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:04 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,422,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed1837 View Post
Except an unpaid intern is supposed to be for the education of the intern and not provide advantages for the employer.

It isn’t supposed to be the free labor they’re demanding.
Right. And there are actually some legal guidelines for unpaid internships, but most employers don't really follow them.

And unpaid internships although not totally new, weren't as common 20 years ago. They started becoming popular during the recession of 2007-2014.

Another problem is that some employers are using free interns for almost everything. Any and every kind of work, including a restaurant in my area that uses teenagers as "interns" to wait tables, they are paid nothing, and even have to buy their own work uniform. It's disgusting. My guess is these poor kids are so desperate to get some work experience, they'll do it.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:09 AM

70 posts, read 59,652 times
How about internships that require experience? I was looking on indeed and found internships that require a year's experience. Why the hell would I intern if I have experience?? It's a scummy way to get employee production for little or free. ����
That's BS��

Old 12-07-2017, 06:13 AM

50,504 posts, read 47,277,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed1837 View Post
Most programs require a short internship, usually a month or so, before the certification test. I'm lucky to have a decent job already its just a little short on hours.

I hate that "paid in experience" crap. You cant eat experience or pay rent in it.
An internship should be looked as free education. What college offers free classes?

Old 12-07-2017, 06:41 AM

12 posts, read 16,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
An internship should be looked as free education. What college offers free classes?
The only thing you're going to learn from a year long unpaid internship is where the homeless shelter is.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:52 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,745,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
This could be true for a young person who is learning actual job skills that will quickly transfer to a paid job. For someone with a degree/certification, they don't need the "favor" of a year's worth of "free education."

But I'm looking for someone to learn how to clean my house for me. If you know somebody who would like some free education on cleaning toilets and scrubbing baseboards, send them my way!

Old 12-07-2017, 07:57 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,714 posts, read 81,563,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Jobs where supply grossly exceeds demand are the kind where unpaid internships can happen.

The best plan is to go into a field where that is not the case.
Yes, and to a place where that is not the case. All of our interns are paid in the $20-25/hour range for college interns, $15 for high school. It's an investment in the future to give people work experience. With our unemployment rate of 3.9% there are far less qualified candidates for jobs. For my last opening there were only 18 applicants and of those only 4 were actually qualified and got interviewed. Meanwhile we are losing people to internal promotions with increasing retirements, and others being poached by other companies.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:11 AM

11,325 posts, read 18,952,228 times
The problem is that too many people for too long have voted against their own interests and vote in politicians who allow if not encourage these things to happen. Rules on unpaid internships need to be tightened to prevent further abuse.

"Exempt" needs to be tightened too....at the end of Obama's term he changed the lowest salary to be "exempt" from 23K to 50K.....this put it in line after inflation with the long eroded minimum it was in the 60s.....in fact Bush raised it from 11k to 23k because in theory at the old level someone who is "exempt" and works overtime could make less than minimum wage.....but a judge blocked the new rule and then we elected.......

People worry too much about being brainwashed about non-existant "others" who are "taking" from them to their own peril. Wake up America!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment