Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 06:40 AM

5 posts, read 1,939 times

Advertisements

you should try freelancing. if you know you have skills go try it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2019, 11:29 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,574,873 times
"I want to do something fun that pays bills. "

When you figure it out, write a book, you'll be rich.

Old 10-03-2019, 07:49 PM

10,837 posts, read 14,984,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
Work is not always "fun". You will go through a learning curve whatever you do, and that can be excruciating. Once you are the master of your domain (Malcolm Gladwell says it takes 10,000 hours) you will derive deep satisfaction from being competent. At that point, you can go anywhere within that domain, provided that you have behaved professionally, and delivered on your commitments.

The problem is not the job - it is you. Become expert. Do not look for "Fun" at work. Look for "widely acknowledged competency".
Best analysis I have read in a long time.

I'm 71 and still work full time not because I have to (I don't need the money) but because what I do is challenging and fun. Most days I actually look forward to going into work and on those few days I don't feel like going I simply call in, tell em I don't feel like working then taking the day off. Doesn't happen often but it does happen.

I design fire sprinkler systems in buildings and to say it is a niche job is a huge understatement. Of the construction trades we're very highly regulated as it should be when designing something to protect a seven story hospital or manufacturing facility with an insured value of $1.2 billion.

Everyone has seen sprinklers in buildings but do you want to guess how many different types there are to protect different hazards? There's over a thousand. As far as standards go with insurance requirements there's probably 10,000 pages of stuff you have to be familiar with and if you want to see what it looks like here's a sample out of FM Global's Data Sheet 8-9 of which there are tons more depending on the hazard.

I've been designing for 45 years now and over that time period I've gotten real good at it and I am recognized as being very good at it. I never stop learning oftentimes I will take something like that FM Global Data Sheets to bed with me and read em. It is how I learn and how I stay on top of the game.

For job security it's #1 in this field because it is such a niche field there's very few. To give an idea for senior level certified technicians there's less than 100 of us in the entire state of California and maybe 1,200 in the entire country. Not much in the way of competition.

75% of my time is spent at a desk designing systems using an AutoCad type program with the other 25% spent on job sites to coordinate with other trades.

So when you get really good any job can be fun especially when you are recognized as among the best. Whatever you do become an expert at it.

Old 10-11-2019, 07:38 AM

5 posts, read 1,939 times
I think you should do freelance writer. Try to sign up in Upwork or in LinkedIn. It will help you a lot.You can do it as a part time job.Being a freelancer or freelance writer you can balance your life.You can work and at the same time you can have fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment