Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 07:26 PM

305 posts, read 727,625 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all of your feedback.

I've decided to take on the path of a dog groomer and make arrangements to take classes in the coming months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 01:51 AM

1,430 posts, read 1,396,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Why do I get the feeling that all the people who answer "Work is not supposed to be fun, it's all about making $" are the same people who make my life miserable at work.

Just about everybody who feels miserable does it to him/herself, without others' involvement. People around you owe you nothing, make yourself enjoyable and useful for others, they will pay you back. At 28 it's time to start understanding how human relationships work.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:19 AM

1,789 posts, read 966,562 times
It's not something that I would be good at but if you aren't afraid of flying how about applying to become a flight attendant? Yes, working with the general public can be stressful but when you are done for the day you are done. Plus, if you like to travel you can see many interesting places both domestic and foreign. Also, if you fly enough you can make decent money. I know some flight attendants that make six figures (of course they have flown for many years). Also, most airlines have great benefits. Just a thought.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:44 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,183,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
Just about everybody who feels miserable does it to him/herself, without others' involvement. People around you owe you nothing, make yourself enjoyable and useful for others, they will pay you back. At 28 it's time to start understanding how human relationships work.
In essence, you're right.

I can always get a job at Guitar Center and then the boss who scrutinizes my every move disappears. The people who call me an idiot or incompetent behind my back disappear.

But, it's MY job to make life easier for other people.

Which means forgiving their mistakes and not calling them idiots behind their backs. Everybody I work with is capable of writing comprehensible memos and doing multiplication and simple geometry and cooking a spaghetti dinner. So they're not idiots.

Even if that means that I look worse, then so be it.

As long as they care, I'll forgive. Maybe if they keep making mistakes, they're not cut out for the job. Maybe society should make it easier for people to find jobs people are suited for instead of calling everybody incompetent and/or idiots and/or hounding people to produce widgets for profits when they care nothing about widgets.

Even though I OWE you nothing, I will give you something. Capiche?

Last edited by jobaba; 12-14-2017 at 09:54 AM..

Old 12-14-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
If you love your current job and the pay is OK, then get your metrics up. It sounds like they were good until recently. No matter what kind of job you have, you'll be subject to performance standards.

Having failed what sounds like freshman-level classes, you're not a good candidate for veterinary school or computer science or a career in programming. If you have no idea how to become a freelance journalist, you're not going to be able to do the research required of a journalist.

Seriously...look at your current situation as a challenge to be overcome, not a bad decision to give up on.
Getting a 90% customer satisfaction rating is impossible without cheating the system which if you get caught, you will be fired. For every bad survey you get, you have to get 9 positive ones to maintain your score. It's very difficult. If not for these metrics, I'd like coming to work. Now I'm just doing the bare minimum to make a check with a desire to leave.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:52 AM

95 posts, read 89,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
I disagree. Negative people and situations have huge negative impacts on a person. "Don't let it get to you" type sentiments are useless and outdated. People get PTSD due to circumstances beyond their control. Mild forms of PTSD are caused by verbal abuses whether at home or in the work place. You can put up a happy sheild all you want but eventually negative situations or people make their way in. That is why we have such high rates of anxiety and depression. If those people got to play around in their gardens or walk in the park all day long instead of being trapped in a cubicle with miserble people who just accept the system as it is then would they all still be so anxious or depressed? Most would not.

Old 12-15-2017, 12:04 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,605,740 times
I was 43 by the time I found the thing I was meant to do. I stayed in one job that was not really my thing for 10 years before I found it. While I was there I excelled in the work I did. It is important to me to always be as good at what I do as I can possibly be. It develops charachter work ethic and self confidence. Don't be afraid to try new things. As long as yyou are willing to start at the bottom and gain the skills. You might find financially challangihng but there is more to living a good life than making lots of money.

It might be too late to be a vet but yyou could look into being a vet tech . Or maybe you can put those computer skills to use doing computer tech work for a large vet clinic. Don't limit yourself to one or two things. See what's out there and try what sounds interesting. I have a very good friend who has a PHD in chemistry who eventually discovered that what he really loved was woodworking. Now he is a very talanted furniture desighner. Don't be afraid to step out of the box your education puts you in.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:55 PM

34,264 posts, read 17,336,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
I don't know what I want to do for the rest of my life and it's driving me nuts.

I currently work as a tech support advisor and they pay well. $13.50 an hour. Well I was placed on a 60 day performance probation for not meeting my customer satisfaction score. So I have to meet my goal for 2 out of 3 months to pass
Is this the job you just go fired from?

Old 01-19-2018, 10:04 PM

Yes

Old 01-19-2018, 10:55 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,597,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
I would love my current job if not for the metrics. I can't do call center work anymore. I want to get up in the morning and look forward to my day. Not dread every second of my life. I never get time for fun things anymore and work is taking over my life. I want to do something that I enjoy doing while making some money to pay rent. I'd like to be a vet, but the nearest vet school is 4 hours away from me and a term costs $12,000. I'd love to be a groomer but education in my area costs $10,000 and the annual income doesn't seem high enough to be liveable. I don't mind going to school for programming or computer science but job security is uncertain. I've also considered being a freelance journalist but I have no idea where to start learning.
Programming is kind of iffy with the rise of automation, offshoring, and H1Bs. I think it's a dying field to be honest and am kind of glad, in retrospect, that I didn't get to break into it as I likely would have hit a nasty snag later. I wasn't the best at it and have heard really tragic stories of those who did have 20 + years experience only to be tossed out in a layoff (possibly being replaced by some foreigner or even someone far younger than them) and then have a very hard time getting back in, and usually not be able to get back in or get back in way underpaid for all of their skills. I just wish I'd figured that out before I spent the money on the degrees, but, as I didn't go into debt, I kinda lucked out in the end there. Still,, at least I can design websites, and, with a few hours of looking up APIs, could do Java again.

Also, I learned from my call center/email job that sometimes it is better to follow those in charge, but I also learned when it might be a good idea to allow more freethinking for employees (as it can help in better responses to customers too) then to always sternly insist on using a template for a lot of things.

I even designed some of my own templates to get around the shortcomings of some of theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment