Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 04:55 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,593,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Millennials lack motivation because they've been pampered too long and reap the rewards of technology and economic safety net today. Nothing is fun because they never had to scrape by for food or bounce around. Most are too addicted to their online connected life, being disconnected and working is not fun.
No, we lack motivation because we saw what Big Business and other elites did to those older than us and aren't keen to bust our butt only to have it happen to us when we're that age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 08:36 PM

1,024 posts, read 747,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
No, we lack motivation because we saw what Big Business and other elites did to those older than us and aren't keen to bust our butt only to have it happen to us when we're that age.
A lot of wisdom in this sentence.
Ask yourself "what would I do if I didn't need $". That might help find the answer for you. You said you might like to be a writer. Today I just learned about Amazon storywriter. Might be worth a look.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:24 PM

4,723 posts, read 3,054,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
I don't know what I want to do for the rest of my life and it's driving me nuts.

I currently work as a tech support advisor and they pay well. $13.50 an hour. Well I was placed on a 60 day performance probation for not meeting my customer satisfaction score. So I have to meet my goal for 2 out of 3 months to pass

Well. Let's just say I don't want to get out of bed every morning dreading the day and get an anxiety attack and praying I don't get a negative customer review. And constantly worrying about playing the numbers game at my job. I want to wake up in the morning and look forward to the rest of my day. I want to get up and enjoy life and have fun. A life without enjoyment isn't a life worth living. At that point I considered quitting my job.

I am 27, and will be 28 in 6 weeks or so. I have no idea what I really want to do, and if what I really want to do is a good decision. I want to take this seriously because every decision I made up to this point felt like the worst mistake I ever made. I didn't finish college, and if I did, I probably wouldn't be so miserable in a call center.

I want to be a lot of things. I want to go back to college but I lost financial aid and didn't pass many classes. I wanted to be a game developer, professional gamer, freelance artist/writer, pet groomer, veterinarian. There's so many things I want to do that I'm afraid of picking one and getting bored with it and moving on. I want to pick something that's fun to do, and would make enough money to pay bills.

How do I make a decision of what I want to do in life? I want to live life happy. Not constantly miserable.
Don't worry about "the rest of your life." Think about what to do for, say, the next three years. You can always change again (and many people your age will probably have to -- whether they want to or not -- since the economy is changing so rapidly).

Old 12-08-2017, 09:31 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,428,540 times
Quote:
I don't know what I want to do for the rest of my life and it's driving me nuts.

I currently work as a tech support advisor and they pay well. $13.50 an hour. Well I was placed on a 60 day performance probation for not meeting my customer satisfaction score. So I have to meet my goal for 2 out of 3 months to pass

Well. Let's just say I don't want to get out of bed every morning dreading the day and get an anxiety attack and praying I don't get a negative customer review. And constantly worrying about playing the numbers game at my job. I want to wake up in the morning and look forward to the rest of my day. I want to get up and enjoy life and have fun. A life without enjoyment isn't a life worth living. At that point I considered quitting my job.

I am 27, and will be 28 in 6 weeks or so. I have no idea what I really want to do, and if what I really want to do is a good decision. I want to take this seriously because every decision I made up to this point felt like the worst mistake I ever made. I didn't finish college, and if I did, I probably wouldn't be so miserable in a call center.

I want to be a lot of things. I want to go back to college but I lost financial aid and didn't pass many classes. I wanted to be a game developer, professional gamer, freelance artist/writer, pet groomer, veterinarian. There's so many things I want to do that I'm afraid of picking one and getting bored with it and moving on. I want to pick something that's fun to do, and would make enough money to pay bills.

How do I make a decision of what I want to do in life? I want to live life happy. Not constantly miserable.
Maybe suffer through another slog job like that and go back to school and get a general business management degree. Through that, you might learn about a profession that you're passionate about. I wanted to be an advertising major and started school with that in mind. I got scared off because of learning about how unstable the job market really was for creative work. I was nearly 30 before I got my bachelor's in business management and I was making $31k (or $16/hr) at the time. 13 years later and I've more than quadrupled that salary in a line of business I enjoy, and it was only something I fell into because I was laid off from MY call center job and worked toward completing my degree.

Let that sink in. Read the Wall Street Journal and read the business section - does anything stand out to you as interesting? Even if it might seem boring to most, I found banking to be fascinating once I got started in it and learned about it. I even now coach others on financial literacy. There are also plenty of freelance bloggers in finance who make good money.

The short answer is most of the jobs you listed pay like crap and have no stability, except for vet, which takes more schooling to achieve. It's time to reassess who you are and who you want to be. Talk to staffing agencies and get on linkedin and see what people are talking about on forums to see if anything piques your interest. You must also get comfortable with making phone calls to strangers and asking questions. People are willing to offer their feedback if you ask, but they can't tell you how to be happy.

There's still time for you to get to that level of happiness, but understand that it will not happen overnight and requires effort that only you can control.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:00 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,236,067 times
I hope after six pages of advice that you have gleaned that work doesn't always equal fun. Fulfillment doesn't always come from your job. Jobs are temporary. Fulfillment comes from within, spiritually and individually. Fulfillment comes from family and friends. Go to work, do your job whatever it may be or has to be, with a good attitude and then go home and be happy. Rare is the person that finds true fulfillment and fun at work. The rest of us just do our best and make our lives happy. You can too.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:07 PM

59 posts, read 47,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Yes, shadowing would be great, it's not always easy to do, but it's great. I'm not sure if you're just trying to argue with me.
If interested in pharmacy, a relatively easy path is to be a pharmacy tech. You only need a high school degree and you can get a book to help you study for the certification test (no for-profit school required). You can work in retail or hospital assisting the pharmacist in their tasks. Easier & longer term than shadowing and get paid!

Old 12-08-2017, 10:23 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,680,134 times
Cruise ship, private yachts, flight attendant, hotel worker, etc.

Old 12-08-2017, 11:30 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,939,660 times
It's called work for a reason. Find something that pays high that you have an aptitude for and can at least tolerate. I would recommend studying engineering, computer science, accounting, etc .

Old 12-08-2017, 11:45 PM

2,673 posts, read 2,245,892 times
Quote:

Learn a trade and start your own business. You'll make much more money if you manage it well.

Old 12-08-2017, 11:55 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,606,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALA2009 View Post
If interested in pharmacy, a relatively easy path is to be a pharmacy tech. You only need a high school degree and you can get a book to help you study for the certification test (no for-profit school required). You can work in retail or hospital assisting the pharmacist in their tasks. Easier & longer term than shadowing and get paid!
He mentioned he has ADHD, though. If its innattentive type, he could become a pharmacy tech like me who has to bounce from job to job to stay employed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment