Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 11:08 AM

3,081 posts, read 2,420,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
I would love my current job if not for the metrics. I can't do call center work anymore. I want to get up in the morning and look forward to my day. Not dread every second of my life. I never get time for fun things anymore and work is taking over my life. I want to do something that I enjoy doing while making some money to pay rent. I'd like to be a vet, but the nearest vet school is 4 hours away from me and a term costs $12,000. I'd love to be a groomer but education in my area costs $10,000 and the annual income doesn't seem high enough to be liveable. I don't mind going to school for programming or computer science but job security is uncertain. I've also considered being a freelance journalist but I have no idea where to start learning.
If you love your current job and the pay is OK, then get your metrics up. It sounds like they were good until recently. No matter what kind of job you have, you'll be subject to performance standards.

Having failed what sounds like freshman-level classes, you're not a good candidate for veterinary school or computer science or a career in programming. If you have no idea how to become a freelance journalist, you're not going to be able to do the research required of a journalist.

Seriously...look at your current situation as a challenge to be overcome, not a bad decision to give up on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 11:16 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,136,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Problem is you need to be rich to finance a campaign that has any shot of going anywhere. You don't see someone who is a Walmart clerk suddenly running for senator.
A federal position in DC is all about the money, but medium to small size town politics are completely different. The funding is not that great.

There are many people that run for local office that aren't rich. Teachers, cops, clerks, accountants, etc. It seems that you never been in a rural state or smaller town. There are very few millionaires locally. There are often no millionaires in a small town. The local council members may work two jobs, with the govt job being only part time. Many of them make less than even the typical developer, in their 2nd job.

Old 12-10-2017, 02:09 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,265,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
A federal position in DC is all about the money, but medium to small size town politics are completely different. The funding is not that great.

There are many people that run for local office that aren't rich. Teachers, cops, clerks, accountants, etc. It seems that you never been in a rural state or smaller town. There are very few millionaires locally. There are often no millionaires in a small town. The local council members may work two jobs, with the govt job being only part time. Many of them make less than even the typical developer, in their 2nd job.
The OP is having trouble deciding between being a vet or a groomer...I think politics is a bit of a stretch.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:39 PM

9 posts, read 5,663 times
At some point in time we can all benefit from a bit of guidance. Acarrer counselor? What education do you have? Would you consider going back to school? Some kind of vocational training is usually easy to find. Try something on for size by volunteering, and you will find your niche eventually.

Old 12-10-2017, 05:37 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,551,555 times
Get a similar job in a different location.

Old 12-10-2017, 06:47 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,604,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
I would love my current job if not for the metrics. I can't do call center work anymore. I want to get up in the morning and look forward to my day. Not dread every second of my life. I never get time for fun things anymore and work is taking over my life. I want to do something that I enjoy doing while making some money to pay rent. I'd like to be a vet, but the nearest vet school is 4 hours away from me and a term costs $12,000. I'd love to be a groomer but education in my area costs $10,000 and the annual income doesn't seem high enough to be liveable. I don't mind going to school for programming or computer science but job security is uncertain. I've also considered being a freelance journalist but I have no idea where to start learning.
Google how to be an extra.

You might like being a movie extra.

Old 12-10-2017, 06:59 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,128,837 times
Join the Marines...from my experience, you'll at least figure out what you DON'T want to do...LOL

Old 12-10-2017, 07:13 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,604,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
Join the Marines...from my experience, you'll at least figure out what you DON'T want to do...LOL
Be sure you can obtain a medical waiver if you go that route.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:51 PM

9 posts, read 8,693 times
You should consider being a freelancer. Try starting off writing or doing something you excel in. If you have a flair for writing, you should try making really long list posts for websites like Listverse [I don't if they still accept submissions] but such websites pay you like 50-200$ for 1 article.

Build up your reputation slowly and join freelancing platforms. All you need is a computer.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:04 AM

1,289 posts, read 940,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post

Excellent point. 2017 off year elections had winners - some in small towns, some in well-known cities - who were not heavily funded and did not run huge campaigns. It's a myth that a person must have access to wealth in order to run for office and win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment