Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 09:02 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,228,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
Co-workers who are better at office politics than I am.

But seriously - people who schmooze so much that the boss buys into their hype. Or likes the brown-nosing so much they are willing to overlook how lazy the employee actually is. And overlooks the people who actually do the work.

Yes, absolutely.

As soon as someone classifies people as alpha/beta manly/feminine, you know they are extremely focused on how they are seen by others from within those classifications. Must be exhausting always worrying that anything you do might be seen as not *insert manly quality* by others around you.
It less of a classification and more about an invisible energy that can be felt. It's not like all day long I go around when I'm out in public labeling people and worry about what people are labeling me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 09:24 AM

137 posts, read 135,557 times
Coworkers who enjoy constant chit chatting and being busy bodies. I've never seen people who are so obsessed with the personal lives of their coworkers. We work together. I'm cordial. I don't need to share my whole life story with you to get my job done. I'm also an introvert so the constant chit chatting. potlucks, etc. are draining. I also don't need to have the office busy bodies point out, you're so quiet, you're so this, you're so that. I'm quiet and I'm working. I'm also kind to others and considerate of boundaries. You're jaw jacking and getting nothing done.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:51 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,300,095 times
Office cliques.

And people who have nothing to do but stand around and talk to each other, and get offended if you do not participate.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:48 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,109,945 times
The one who talks about herself from the time she walks in the door until i am walking out at closing time. Any time she sees me without my earbuds in for one second, she starts up. All i hear is my husband/my daughter/my shoes/my closet/my timeshare, my my my, me me me, i, i, i, all day long if i don't have my earbuds in. It's annoying AF.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:00 AM

9,516 posts, read 8,517,532 times
Co-workers who aren't happy unless they are complaining. I mean, the basis of 95% of one particular co-worker's conversations are complaints. Complaining about the boss, about the work, about business partners, about the benefits, about the weather, taxes, politics.....you name it. I have found out that he will often IM/call multiple people simultaneously with the same complaints. It's as if he has some sort of deficiency that can only be filled through complaining and complaining often. I often wonder if someone, somewhere is monitoring his IMs.....because if they were, they'd see that they're essentially paying him (nearly six figures) to complain probably a minimum of 4 to 6 hours a day.

EDIT: Yes, I realize the irony of me complaining about him.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:10 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,421,327 times
People who don't take notes in a meeting who then demand that I e-mail them the exact same thing that I said 15 minutes ago in a meeting that they also attended.

People who don't let me finish a sentence before they start talking. SHUT UP.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:29 AM

16,824 posts, read 17,809,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
It less of a classification and more about an invisible energy that can be felt. It's not like all day long I go around when I'm out in public labeling people and worry about what people are labeling me.
AN "invisible energy that can be felt"? Sounds sort of fruity and new age to me. Does that invisible feeling go well with your incense and charkra healing stones? Such a "manly" thing feeling "invisible energy".

Old 12-20-2017, 11:33 AM

16,824 posts, read 17,809,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
That was a well thought out response, so I'm going to have to do my best here to return one...

Men should not gossip, and neither should women. However, based off social norms it's more expected for a women to gossip then a man. Like it or not, generalizing, defining people, and "sizing them up" is a reality of our world and social order.

A man who gossips in my eyes is a man who must have a lot of feminism energy and definitely not living his life with drive and purpose. There is a double standard, women just because of their very nature can be cut more slack then a man when it comes to gossiping.

That's not to say a man who does ballet for example is any less of a man who plays football... As long as a man or a women is fulfilling their mission with passion and drive that's all that matters.
Grow up.

Be a person first. How's that for passion and purpose? Because "real men" (and real women for that matter) don't let societal norms dictate how they perceive others or themselves, let alone use that as a way to label entire groups of people.

And seriously, maybe you shouldn't be using terms like a "alpha" and "beta" to describe people when you keep talking about "feeling invisible energy". By the way the phrase would be "feminine energy", because feminism is a movement not an adjective to describe a gender. But hey, we know how confusing science words can be for male brains.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
AN "invisible energy that can be felt"? Sounds sort of fruity and new age to me. Does that invisible feeling go well with your incense and charkra healing stones? Such a "manly" thing feeling "invisible energy".
Lol, how about instead of using invisible energy, would intuition suit you better?

Old 12-20-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Grow up.

Be a person first. How's that for passion and purpose? Because "real men" (and real women for that matter) don't let societal norms dictate how they perceive others or themselves, let alone use that as a way to label entire groups of people.

And seriously, maybe you shouldn't be using terms like a "alpha" and "beta" to describe people when you keep talking about "feeling invisible energy". By the way the phrase would be "feminine energy", because feminism is a movement not an adjective to describe a gender. But hey, we know how confusing science words can be for male brains.
People let social norms dictate how they perceive others and themselves all the time though that's the thing..... It's called religion for example. Very low chance someone born in a Christian family in the bible belt all of a sudden becomes a Muslim later in life.

Social status and social norms are strong forces at place whether you like it or not.. It's called psychology and sociology.

Last edited by JPrzybylski07; 12-20-2017 at 12:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment