Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 11:49 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,230,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Grow up.

Be a person first. How's that for passion and purpose? Because "real men" (and real women for that matter) don't let societal norms dictate how they perceive others or themselves, let alone use that as a way to label entire groups of people.

This is a very naïve statement to be honest.

Ever heard how taller men tend to earn on average more money then their shorter peers, or how you should dress for success, or how a handshake can make or break an interview.. However, in an attempt to support your case I can think of one exception where in the movie Pursuit of Happiness Will Smith comes to the interview in dirty ripped clothes and still gets the job, definitely didn't follow the social norm of dressing nice for an interview yet still got the job, but he is the exception not the majority Thankfully his interviewer looked pass the social norm of dressing nice for an interview and saw the person and character for who he really was.

Last edited by JPrzybylski07; 12-20-2017 at 12:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 12:32 PM

1,760 posts, read 1,721,846 times
Interesting topic!

Having worked in the same office for 14 years now, let's see....what bothers me most.

I would have to probably say, while it's not a huge issue in the scheme of things, hearing the amount of useless idle chit chat on sports, or other such inane subjects probably would be up there for me personally.

Across the panel from me, an around the rest of the office, at least several times a week, I hear various conversations about some sports team or another, or who's playing, or whatever. I'm not a sports fan, at all, so that probably explains most of my aversion to this topic, but for gods sake, I just don't know how you can ponder and discuss such things at such length. Some of these conversations can run 10 or 15 minutes. If you've watched the game, then a 30-60 second conversation about the results should be sufficient. If it's a future game, why talk about it much at all....just watch it and you're lengthy pre-game conversation will be rendered meaningless and unnecessary in short order :-)

Old 12-20-2017, 12:54 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,873,577 times
Special ed teacher here: It's the gen ed teachers who won't follow the accommodations and modifications for the special ed students they teach and when I go remind them that this is a legal document that they must follow they either roll their eyes at me and blow me off or they agree graciously and then blow me off. I am getting all full of negative energy b/c everyone seems to think I'm a pain in the A just for doing my job. And yes, I am diplomatic...I now see why sped teachers have a high turnover rate. People tell me I must be very patient but the kids are the easy part.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:28 PM

9,518 posts, read 8,536,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
Interesting topic!

Having worked in the same office for 14 years now, let's see....what bothers me most.

I would have to probably say, while it's not a huge issue in the scheme of things, hearing the amount of useless idle chit chat on sports, or other such inane subjects probably would be up there for me personally.

Across the panel from me, an around the rest of the office, at least several times a week, I hear various conversations about some sports team or another, or who's playing, or whatever. I'm not a sports fan, at all, so that probably explains most of my aversion to this topic, but for gods sake, I just don't know how you can ponder and discuss such things at such length. Some of these conversations can run 10 or 15 minutes. If you've watched the game, then a 30-60 second conversation about the results should be sufficient. If it's a future game, why talk about it much at all....just watch it and you're lengthy pre-game conversation will be rendered meaningless and unnecessary in short order :-)
You realize there are one hour shows going all day, every day, 365 days per year on TV, radio and the internet that do nothing but discuss sports, right? In fact, there is even a television network (ESPN) that runs nothing but sports and sports talk 24/7/365. So it shouldn't be too hard to fathom that people will talk sports in the office.

Old 12-20-2017, 03:35 PM

5,488 posts, read 4,505,649 times
The person who goes around accusing other people of doing non-work things, but then does it himself. We had one such person who would accuse others of not working, but would then sit at his desk playing games on his iPhone. Of course, management couldn't do anything about that, as his father is a partner in our parent company. Go figure

Old 12-20-2017, 03:50 PM

5,488 posts, read 4,505,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
QA:
Demanding that I (the developer) tell them (the QA person) exactly what their test cases are and how to execute them. No! Go bother the BA; they're the ones who should have written requirements. If I was going to take the time to tell you how to do your job, I'd just test the code myself. Why do we need YOU if you don't know how to do the job?
I've talked with developers before to see if they had requirements since.. no1 else had them.

Quote:
Reporting "bugs" using a single screen shot. STOP THAT.
I'm assuming they've been told that bugs had to be reproducible, had to have steps to recreate, and with info on versions?

Quote:
Refusing to understand that I (the database developer) could not have caused an issue with data validation on a field in a .NET application when I changed the stored procedure that runs an SSRS (SQL Server Reporting Services) report. No, no, no. Not mine, not a regression error, out of scope, go bother the project manager if you want it fixed.
Curious.. so this would be due to the pM's decision to implement such a change?

Old 12-20-2017, 03:54 PM

20,714 posts, read 16,512,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
I don't know, I'm a man so I don't waste my time gossiping.
...oh - sports? Gaming? Investing? Some other hobby with no relationship to work?

Old 12-20-2017, 04:00 PM

10,073 posts, read 7,599,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
...oh - sports? Gaming? Investing? Some other hobby with no relationship to work?
that isn't gossip, it's news

Old 12-20-2017, 04:22 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,667,282 times
Quote:
I don't know, I'm a man so I don't waste my time gossiping.
Some of the biggest gossips at our firm are men! It is not a gender thing at all.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:26 PM

16,824 posts, read 17,816,518 times
Quote:
This is a very naïve statement to be honest.

Ever heard how taller men tend to earn on average more money then their shorter peers, or how you should dress for success, or how a handshake can make or break an interview.. However, in an attempt to support your case I can think of one exception where in the movie Pursuit of Happiness Will Smith comes to the interview in dirty ripped clothes and still gets the job, definitely didn't follow the social norm of dressing nice for an interview yet still got the job, but he is the exception not the majority Thankfully his interviewer looked pass the social norm of dressing nice for an interview and saw the person and character for who he really was.
At work today I must have interacted with half a dozen phds and the rest either with masters or on their way. Most of us had on jeans and sneakers, smelled fairly gross and were in various states of being sweaty on top of it.

Have a broader view of the world. Or don’t. You’re choice. But you are in no way in a position to be deciding who is or is not “manly” who does or does not have passion, purpose and drive when you are a slave to societal norms by your own admission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment