Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 04:27 PM

16,824 posts, read 17,801,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
Lol, how about instead of using invisible energy, would intuition suit you better?
Like “women’s intuition”? How about dealing in real things instead of the imaginary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 04:56 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,164,723 times
There's a lot.

But my biggest frustration is people never telling their co-workers/subordinates about their deficiencies and instead calling them idiots or incompetent or incapable of doing the job behind their back.

It happens a lot and it happens more often than it doesn't.

If a person makes a mistake, then tell them. If they make too many mistakes or cannot perform the job well enough for the client, then fire that person. Maybe they're better suited for another career.

Otherwise, if they're getting the job done, they're getting the job done.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:03 PM

8,339 posts, read 6,829,112 times
Had to think of this since I am not with them...but what would drive me nuts was the "Technically Speaking" idiots who thought that "Technically Speaking" they were correct all the time....

Old 12-20-2017, 05:33 PM

4,632 posts, read 3,489,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Have a broader view of the world. Or don’t. You’re choice. But you are in no way in a position to be deciding who is or is not “manly” who does or does not have passion, purpose and drive when you are a slave to societal norms by your own admission.

Also? I plead the fifth.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:00 PM

5,488 posts, read 4,499,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
Some of the biggest gossips at our firm are men! It is not a gender thing at all.
I'd concur with this. To me, I still remember wandering the hallways in high school and just prior to that. For some reason, when a bunch of girls are convened and all chatty... it just stands out more. They project louder? Puberty hits and guys tend to notice girls more easily anyways? Some of the gossip was a bit juicy. Other than that, in the adult workplace, both genders definitely contribute their fair share.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:31 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,044,237 times
I work in a (so called) team environment in a 24/7/365 operation. Seems like everyone thinks that they are doing the most work and everyone else is lazy. It's pretty annoying.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:05 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,226,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
Some of the biggest gossips at our firm are men! It is not a gender thing at all.
How sad, I hope one of them don't break a nail on top of it!

Old 12-21-2017, 07:14 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,471,707 times
Office politics because people in management or authority hire friends that are incompetent and cannot perform the job.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:22 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,226,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
At work today I must have interacted with half a dozen phds and the rest either with masters or on their way. Most of us had on jeans and sneakers, smelled fairly gross and were in various states of being sweaty on top of it.

Have a broader view of the world. Or don’t. You’re choice. But you are in no way in a position to be deciding who is or is not “manly” who does or does not have passion, purpose and drive when you are a slave to societal norms by your own admission.
I am in a position to decide and judge people all I want, that's my personal right since I have a consciousness. My perceptions and belief system is subjective, just like yours is, and pretty much all of reality is subjective, since the only way to describe reality is through your own biased subjective lens. That being said, there are social norms which of course are different then social laws. You don't have to follow the social norms, but they exist and most people follow them unconsciously. Next time you are in an elevator stand backwards facing other people just for some fun.

Your example of the smelly gross coworkers with PHDS is mistaken correlation with causation so not really understanding where you are going there.

I love psychology, I love organizational psychology, and I find human behavior interesting. Understanding human psychology makes navigating this crazy world easier since we are social creatures and all need each other to survive and thrive.

Honestly I really don't care if a man gossips or not, it's a trivial matter. If I have a good guy friend who all of a sudden starts gossiping about another person I'm not all of a sudden going to befriend him. Go ahead men gossip, talk smack about other people behind their backs, whatever floats your boat and makes you happy! Go focus on what you don't like about people and say things you would never say to their face, yea that's really manly.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:42 AM

16,824 posts, read 17,801,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
I am in a position to decide and judge people all I want, that's my personal right since I have a consciousness. My perceptions and belief system is subjective, just like yours is, and pretty much all of reality is subjective, since the only way to describe reality is through your own biased subjective lens. That being said, there are social norms which of course are different then social laws. You don't have to follow the social norms, but they exist and most people follow them unconsciously. Next time you are in an elevator stand backwards facing other people just for some fun.
Aren't you supposed to be super manly? All this blather about your feelings and pearl clutching is getting old. I get it, you need societal norms to not feely inferior. Next.

Quote:
Your example of the smelly gross coworkers with PHDS is mistaken correlation with causation so not really understanding where you are going there.
First, its PhD. Not all caps. Second, please don't use terms you don't understand, a person who is successful/well educated is not an example of either causality or correlation. It is an example of dichotomy and stupidity of trying to make generalities.

Quote:
I love psychology, I love organizational psychology, and I find human behavior interesting. Understanding human psychology makes navigating this crazy world easier since we are social creatures and all need each other to survive and thrive.
Ah the "soft" sciences. I like the physical sciences. Real men build things, discover things that matter about the universe, because of purpose and passion right? Many say psych is one of the feminine sciences. What does that societal norm say about you, beta male I guess huh?

Quote:
Honestly I really don't care if a man gossips or not, it's a trivial matter. If I have a good guy friend who all of a sudden starts gossiping about another person I'm not all of a sudden going to befriend him. Go ahead men gossip, talk smack about other people behind their backs, whatever floats your boat and makes you happy! Go focus on what you don't like about people and say things you would never say to their face, yea that's really manly.
But I am sure you have the passion, purpose and drive to call him a beta male to his face right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment