Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 12:21 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,738,568 times

Advertisements

Family Construction Business... actually Father and Son building and custom remodels.

He didn't begrudge the guys leaving but having them asking for to be rehired was a little different... two successful competitors started working for him... got their licenses/bonds and opened for business...

No yachts or multiple homes... they do have a small cabin they built in the Sierra back in the 60's that they let employees use...

Their big expense is payroll and all the related insurances that go with being a business followed by equipment.

Some could make the argument the owners should have been better in business so they could retain talent... if you are a small family business and can be easier said than done.

Years ago I worked in a Union Machine Shop... the Union called a strike and our competitor never recovered and was shuttered in a few months... 19 Union jobs gone forever... and my friend that worked there said the Old Man was good Boss and let the guys come in on Saturday to work on side jobs and build things for themselves...

Fast forward and none of those shops exist anymore... even the one where I worked... several relocated and most simply closed...

The supply of capital and more important profit is limited unless you happen to be too big to fail...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 04:50 PM

34,093 posts, read 17,152,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
The number of applicants for a job is a very poor indicator of the pay/value of the job. We get hundreds or perhaps a thousand applicants for some jobs. Yet out of that thousand perhaps only 10-20 are actually qualified. Going by the total number of applicants, some people say we're overpaying. Going by the number of QUALIFIED applicants who actually accept, we are severely underpaying. That's right. We review hundreds of applicants to find 10 qualified and those 10 all turn us down because we don't pay enough.
Has anyone studied the opportunity cost lost due to not filling your roles with qualified people?

Old 12-29-2017, 09:13 PM

12,878 posts, read 9,101,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Has anyone studied the opportunity cost lost due to not filling your roles with qualified people?
Oh yes. I've done them. So have several others. We seem to be in a phase of incredibly poor management. I'm reluctant to post some statements they've since anyone who worked there would recognize them.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:39 PM

I really believe management sets the tone in word and action... there will also be those that do well just about anywhere... some just have that gift.

With the change in management came changes in priorities... the founder and CEO had a strict policy of what was acceptable and what was not... going the extra mile was expected.

Under new corporate ownership we have been told sometimes we simply are not able to satisfy everyone and that is reality... thing is anyone with tenure knows we did just that and now it is hard to offer/accept less.

Again... management sets the pace and expectations... combine that with a new and lengthy on-boarding process means that qualified candidates often accept other employment by the time the job offer goes out... and that wastes time and money spent on extensive background, physicals, immunizations, drug and aptitude testing and even training in some cases.

Recently... 2 out of 3 eligible to be hired decline by the time the offer is made... I guess it does keep the HR folks busy...

Old 01-02-2018, 07:34 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,328,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Again... management sets the pace and expectations... combine that with a new and lengthy on-boarding process means that qualified candidates often accept other employment by the time the job offer goes out... and that wastes time and money spent on extensive background, physicals, immunizations, drug and aptitude testing and even training in some cases.

Recently... 2 out of 3 eligible to be hired decline by the time the offer is made... I guess it does keep the HR folks busy...
Geez, where do you work...the Pentagon??

Personally speaking, I usually withdraw my application from companies where personality tests/psychological screens are part of the interview process. I'm not worried that they'll show something weird or hinky; I simply refuse on general principle (unless I'm desperate, which isn't usually the case). If I'm pressed for an answer as to why, I state that I've learned more about the company that makes me doubt it would be a good fit for me and I leave it at that.

I clench my teeth and tolerate drug screening. I have nothing to hide, but I think it's asinine that I have to pee in a cup to prove it.

I'm fine with background checks; I always have access to sensitive data and I'm OK with a potential employer verifying that I'm not a criminal, though I don't think a 20 year-old DUI or misdemeanor should prevent someone from taking a highly-skilled job. (Sadly, all too often, they do.) Even if you were acquitted by a jury, you can still be eliminated on that basis. I know a couple of people who are self-employed for that very reason (and no, they didn't do it).

I would refuse on general principle to submit to any immunization beyond what's standard for American adults...unless I was working in the healthcare field with immunosuppressed people. Since I work in IT, I'm gonna go ahead and pass on that flu shot.

Old 01-02-2018, 12:45 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,452,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Since I work in IT, I'm gonna go ahead and pass on that flu shot.
I have had one every year for over 15 years. I've had flu's in the past that kept me me bedridden for days with fevers, aches, and trembling. Anything that reduces the chances of that is welcome and also the more people are vaccinated the less places the virus has to hide and propagate helping everyone.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Geez, where do you work...the Pentagon??

Personally speaking, I usually withdraw my application from companies where personality tests/psychological screens are part of the interview process. I'm not worried that they'll show something weird or hinky; I simply refuse on general principle (unless I'm desperate, which isn't usually the case). If I'm pressed for an answer as to why, I state that I've learned more about the company that makes me doubt it would be a good fit for me and I leave it at that.

I clench my teeth and tolerate drug screening. I have nothing to hide, but I think it's asinine that I have to pee in a cup to prove it.

I'm fine with background checks; I always have access to sensitive data and I'm OK with a potential employer verifying that I'm not a criminal, though I don't think a 20 year-old DUI or misdemeanor should prevent someone from taking a highly-skilled job. (Sadly, all too often, they do.) Even if you were acquitted by a jury, you can still be eliminated on that basis. I know a couple of people who are self-employed for that very reason (and no, they didn't do it).

I would refuse on general principle to submit to any immunization beyond what's standard for American adults...unless I was working in the healthcare field with immunosuppressed people. Since I work in IT, I'm gonna go ahead and pass on that flu shot.
Bingo... 27 years in Healthcare... engineering

First Drug Test in my life was this year as part of the on boarding... and I did not like it... 5 hours spent off-site for the physical and drug test... in a clinic with people hacking and coughing all around in flue season... it is not going to happen again and it shouldn't have happened in the first place... with the merger our new employer didn't have resources to process everyone in the allotted time... so I was part of a group that was outsourced...

It was demeaning and a battery of never ending hoops to jump through... I turned in my letter of resignation and wished them well... my CEO said I had successfully completed the On-Boarding and my "Offer" was due any day...

Offer fell short in that 25 years as salaried management to hourly... not at all what was discussed... HR said I have 3 days to accept or reject and I said not needed... where do I sign to reject... caused a little problem and offer was slightly revised saying I could quit at any time so why quit now as all that was needed was for me to accept...

On the plus side I make more as hourly than management because in 25 years never received overtime and now it is in every check... benefits slightly better but nothing compared to when I was recruited in 1991...

got to go... just got a call back... seems one of the Hospital Systems is in alarm... overtime again!

Old 01-03-2018, 07:00 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,328,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I have had one every year for over 15 years. I've had flu's in the past that kept me me bedridden for days with fevers, aches, and trembling. Anything that reduces the chances of that is welcome and also the more people are vaccinated the less places the virus has to hide and propagate helping everyone.
I've had the flu (real flu, not a bad cold) only a few times in my entire life. I don't seem all that susceptible to flu/colds/etc.

Every time I've had a flu shot I've felt like crap afterwards. As long as it's not mandatory, I'm going to pass. I'm not an anti-vaxxer, I just don't want a flu shot.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:31 AM

35,121 posts, read 31,396,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Doesn't matter in a lot of cases. People aren't thinking that far ahead. What's ultimately more important is getting labor costs down NOW, whether or not that has a future negative impact.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:44 AM

1,166 posts, read 878,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Doesn't matter in a lot of cases. People aren't thinking that far ahead. What's ultimately more important is getting labor costs down NOW, whether or not that has a future negative impact.
Yup, most companies and managers are so short-sighted they can't see past "right now". "Treat our employees better so we don't have to fill this position every few months? That's crazy talk! Makes much more sense to treat them like crap and have to retrain a new employee every couple months!" MUCH better to pay the least amount possible, expect the most out of our workers, treat them horribly and THEN sit back whining and complain that "Nobody wants to work anymore!" No, they just don't want to work for YOU!

That's employer logic at it's finest right there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment