Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 10:53 AM

7,977 posts, read 5,001,625 times

Advertisements

This short-sighted mindset only destroys the company in the long run because everything is about eliminating expense NOW, and to hell with the tomorrow. My company is doing the exact same thing at the moment and it has nipped them in the bud big time with a total loss of business and stock. They threw early retirement out there for the veterans and laid off "non essential" employee they possible could and what do you have now? A revolving door of rookies who don't stay on and no one loyal and those that were "lucky enough" to stay on, morale is at an all time low. Skeleton crews etc. Whoever that was left after layoffs, absorbed all the responsibilities of the people who were laid off and they are looking to leave now too or they just stop doing the work since there are only so many hours in the day to begin with. . Every aspect of the business has been destroyed from the inside-out

They didn't seem to think when they were chopping off heads and veterans that, "Oh crap.. Who do we have qualified thats left?" The loss of institutional knowledge hit the company hard after 2 years.

I heard it said here once. You can't Lay off your way back to success just as you can't starve yourself to health
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 11:44 AM

35,131 posts, read 31,425,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
This short-sighted mindset only destroys the company in the long run because everything is about eliminating expense NOW, and to hell with the tomorrow. My company is doing the exact same thing at the moment and it has nipped them in the bud big time with a total loss of business and stock. They threw early retirement out there for the veterans and laid off "non essential" employee they possible could and what do you have now? A revolving door of rookies who don't stay on and no one loyal and those that were "lucky enough" to stay on, morale is at an all time low. Skeleton crews etc. Whoever that was left after layoffs, absorbed all the responsibilities of the people who were laid off and they are looking to leave now too or they just stop doing the work since there are only so many hours in the day to begin with. . Every aspect of the business has been destroyed from the inside-out

They didn't seem to think when they were chopping off heads and veterans that, "Oh crap.. Who do we have qualified thats left?" The loss of institutional knowledge hit the company hard after 2 years.

I heard it said here once. You can't Lay off your way back to success just as you can't starve yourself to health
The tech company I worked for was in a constant state of turnover. You'd hire someone, then six months later, that person would jump to an industry competitor or a household tech name after being thrown under the bus too many times. The salary was above average, but it had nine hour minimum days, on-call responsibilities, and a toxic culture. Comp isn't everything.

They were version locked to an enterprise scheduler software that automated batch processes for well over a hundred global clients at the time. Overhauling the automation engine was beyond our internal capabilities, and they were too cheap to pay for professional services. That version was obsolete and no longer supported by the vendor a couple of years ago. We had no actual expert - I was the closest thing they had to an admin - and anyone else who knew much about it is long gone now.

I got a frantic Facebook message sometime last year from the manager at the satellite office I worked at asking if I could help them. I left in early 2016. An employee that had been there for just a month screwed up a change which impacted all clients. This took several days to wash out, people were working around the clock, and ultimately cost the company about $6,000,000 that they had to pay back to clients for breaching contractual SLAs.

The VP of the division, the manager who the junior level staff reported to, and the junior employee were all fired by the CEO/owner. They would have been much better off to invest in modern software and training rather than having an incident like that happen.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:19 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,759,682 times
It seems the average length of tenure is under 2 years Enterprise wide...

Some thing it is great... fresh ideas and all.

I have recruited several and said if they will put in 2 years as a fresh grad they will be able to jump for a 20% pay boost AND much better benefits and most do.

Learned of two more that went on interviews today...

Old 01-03-2018, 10:32 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,591,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
Yup, most companies and managers are so short-sighted they can't see past "right now". "Treat our employees better so we don't have to fill this position every few months? That's crazy talk! Makes much more sense to treat them like crap and have to retrain a new employee every couple months!" MUCH better to pay the least amount possible, expect the most out of our workers, treat them horribly and THEN sit back whining and complain that "Nobody wants to work anymore!" No, they just don't want to work for YOU!

That's employer logic at it's finest right there!
I wish I could find a way to pull out the cheap foreign labor, government subsidy, etc rug that lets these companies get away with this crap. Yeah, it might hurt the economy but as "the economy" is meaning more and more less of us and more the fat cats at the top, WHO CARES! Once the free market kicks in, these clowns will be toast!

Old 01-07-2018, 08:15 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,949,391 times
Quote:

I don’t understand why people are so quick to blame the worker instead of the company. Company wants to pay you peanuts and work you to death, nobody's applying for the jobs we offer because the American people are too lazy!!!
Decades of right wing propaganda. The working class in the USA is conservative and reactionary and they would rather blame fellow workers than actual go after the people exploiting them.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:59 AM

1,166 posts, read 879,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Decades of right wing propaganda. The working class in the USA is conservative and reactionary and they would rather blame fellow workers than actual go after the people exploiting them.

Yup, saw lots of this at the dealership. Techs were always squabbling amongst themselves about "so and so's getting more hours than me" or "so and so's getting all the gravy jobs" or "so and so's not pulling his own weight". They were too caught up with jealousy and fighting with the other techs to realize that it was management that was screwing them over and playing favorites. "Keep the worker bees fighting with each other so we can run off with all the profits and accept none of the blame!"

It's the same reason why people blame "the lazy Americans who aren't willing to work anymore" instead of the POS companies that want to pay peanuts and work the workers to death!

Last edited by jimmy12345678; 01-07-2018 at 10:09 AM..

Old 01-07-2018, 10:05 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,949,391 times
Quote:
Yup, saw lots of this at the dealership. Techs were always squabbling amongst themselves about "so and so's getting more hours than me" or "so and so's getting all the gravy jobs" or "so and so's not pulling his own weight". They were too caught up with jealous and fighting with the other techs to realize that it was management that was screwing them over and playing favorites. "Keep the worker bees fighting with each other so we can run off with all the profits and accept none of the blame!"

It's the same reason why people blame "the lazy Americans who aren't willing to work anymore" instead of the POS companies that want to pay peanuts and work the workers to death!
God Bless the United Snakes of America
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment