Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 11:37 AM

1,166 posts, read 877,456 times

Advertisements

If you’re not getting enough people applying for the positions you offer, the solution is not to hire illegal workers under the table that’ll work for less than minimum wage. That makes you no different than someone who embezzles money, or evades taxes, you are a criminal, and deserve to be treated as such!

I think it really comes down to the attitude of “nobody owes you anything, you should take what they offer and be thankful you got that!” As long as whoever you’re working for is following the laws, I agree, (hiring legal employees at legal wages) and if they can’t get enough people to fill those positions, it’s time for YOU as a business to change to attract more prospective employees. Whether that be through higher wages, more benefits, etc, but NOT by hiring an illegal workforce or paying them under the table . I understand that companies are treated as if they are “above the law” and are not held to the same standards as normal people.

I don’t understand why people are so quick to blame the worker instead of the company. Company wants to pay you peanuts and work you to death, nobody's applying for the jobs we offer because the American people are too lazy!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2017, 05:32 PM

34,070 posts, read 17,102,875 times
If you are perpetually short staffed, I fully agree.

Old 12-25-2017, 09:56 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,251,672 times
higher pay, better benefits. People will come.

Companies might as well earn that corporate tax cut instead of trying to keep even more with illegal aliens and cash income off the books.

Old 12-25-2017, 10:47 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,991,770 times
Word gets around and I’m sure people read the company reviews online. If 90 percent of the feedback is generally negative, no worth their salt is going to waste their time applying for a dumpy company. These tax cuts aren’t going to benefit the employees. That leftover money will just end up in the higher ups back pocket. It certainly isn’t going to go to recruiting and attracting talent and experience. Then employers whine when no one wants to work there or they can’t hold on to anyone

If you show no investment or care to your workforce, don’t expect to attract anything or hold on to anyone

Old 12-25-2017, 10:59 AM

4,976 posts, read 2,716,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Word gets around and I’m sure people read the company reviews online. If 90 percent of the feedback is generally negative, no worth their salt is going to waste their time applying for a dumpy company. These tax cuts aren’t going to benefit the employees. That leftover money will just end up in the higher ups back pocket. It certainly isn’t going to go to recruiting and attracting talent and experience. Then employers whine when no one wants to work there or they can’t hold on to anyone

If you show no investment or care to your workforce, don’t expect to attract anything or hold on to anyone
Agree.

Old 12-25-2017, 11:12 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,517,422 times
Doesn't ring true for all industries.

Wages rise on California farms. Americans still don’t want the job - Los Angeles Times

Old 12-25-2017, 12:44 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,793,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Well, besides the varying hours, weeks and days I can see why.

Or perhaps farms are just not a place where native-born Americans want to work. The job is seasonal, so laborers have to alternate between long stretches without any income and then months of 60-hour weeks. They work in extreme heat and cold, and spend all day bending over to reach vegetables or climbing up and down ladders to pluck fruit in trees.

Old 12-25-2017, 01:43 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,517,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Well, besides the varying hours, weeks and days I can see why.

Or perhaps farms are just not a place where native-born Americans want to work. The job is seasonal, so laborers have to alternate between long stretches without any income and then months of 60-hour weeks. They work in extreme heat and cold, and spend all day bending over to reach vegetables or climbing up and down ladders to pluck fruit in trees.
Huh? Farming is what it is. So Americans only want the jobs that are clean and easy? Seasonal or not, wouldn't an unemployed person do better with 4-6 months of income in their pocket vs nothing at all?

There are also factories that can't find people.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/29/us/ohi...ntv/index.html

Last edited by charlygal; 12-25-2017 at 01:55 PM..

Old 12-25-2017, 01:57 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,639,218 times
The H1B is another program that companies are using to screw over Americans.

I say this as an Indian immigrant...Americans should be angry

Old 12-25-2017, 02:00 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times
Each segment has a pecking order... in medical there are the preferred places to work because of benefits/opportunities but they also tend to have a high bar to entry.

What I see is those lacking in experience will often gravitate to the less than preferred to build up skills and experience with the plan to jump when able.

Happens a lot with nurses... some have a steady flow through because they are on their way to the most sought after but haven't quite developed the skill set...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment