Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2017, 06:21 PM

70 posts, read 59,592 times

Advertisements

I think glassdoor and indeed.com reviews have messed things up for some employers. I know that I have read awful reviews and decided not to accept some job offers in the past. I also stay away from obviously fake reviews. You know, that "such an tremendous and empowering experience" B.S. LOL! Pay rate in relation to COL also makes a difference. If you are only offering me 30,000 in NYC, I'm heading for the hills dude. Simply, that salary with NYC's living expenses are far too tight.However, maybe that salary to start in Iowa might be doable as entry-level(any Iowans can vouch for this? Always assumed your state was cheaper, but I could be wrong hehe). I'm planning on moving to the DFW area come summer from the Philly area so pay rates in relation to COL do matter to me. For my own protection, I'm still developing a side gig. Just don't trust these employers these days......
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2017, 06:25 PM

19,567 posts, read 9,578,201 times
For every time an employee quits/gets transferred out (for whatever reason), management comes around and redistributes their workload. How many times will they do this before they decide it's finally time to put out a job vacancy notice? Some companies are actually running on skeleton crews and the remaining employees keep getting dumped on.

I think they should get a bonus but the company saves the extra money and then in turn, gives it to some higher up, (cushy chair) and/or spends the $ on carpeting for the higher ranking employee because the incumbent doesn't much care for the current color of carpet (just the color, the carpet itself is less than a year old).

Old 12-25-2017, 08:14 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,398,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
No, it does hold true in that case.

What you're overlooking is that the employers are still not offering market wages. The fact that Americans don't want the job means, by definition, that the compensation is still below the market rate.

Old 12-25-2017, 08:19 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,398,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
Workplaces need to stop requiring a bachelors or masters degree for every damn thing.
They can't. See the US Supreme Court's ruling in Griggs v. Duke Power. They can't just choose smart people because that creates a racial imbalance, the Supreme Court says. However, for some inscrutable reason, the Supreme Court allows employers to hire based on college degrees even though that produces about the same racial results. Employers get whacked by the feds if they don't require degrees.

Old 12-25-2017, 08:22 PM

204 posts, read 182,216 times
It will get fixed when.........

In the hood I can work at mickey D's or the drug dealer has the gold chain and the BMW, decisions decisions

In the hood I can make more from the government doing nothing, 52% of the out-of-work force agrees.

In the hood I can get an education and trained for a job that no one is hiring for or get skunked
by an H1B for 1/2 what it could pay.

In the hood I was convinced by some 20 something, bar hopping, wife beating, drug swilling, knee bending millionaires that if I
get a $200 pair of kicks I might be one of the .0001% ball carriers on the mans plantation.

In the hood 5 Million Americans have just defaulted on their Student Loans over 274K just his year. And that is 4 x higher then
4 Obama years ago.

Old 12-25-2017, 08:44 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,950,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
Workplaces need to stop requiring a bachelors or masters degree for every damn thing.
Exactly, nine times out of ten, it is included in purple squirrel job openings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
No, please don't. It's a competitive advantage.
Kind of. Besides "critical thinking" what is the advantage for a college degree unless say in a science. I mean computer science can be done outsides the halls of higher education. Also sometimes it is unnecessary as well. In education for instance, in some jobs it simply helps fulfill NCLB to have 60 credits, while others (namely teaching in a high school level) it is a purple squirrel, considering the starting wage of 35K (at least in AZ.) Then add in the removal of the public servant 10 year loan forgiveness and forget about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
They can't. See the US Supreme Court's ruling in Griggs v. Duke Power. They can't just choose smart people because that creates a racial imbalance, the Supreme Court says. However, for some inscrutable reason, the Supreme Court allows employers to hire based on college degrees even though that produces about the same racial results. Employers get whacked by the feds if they don't require degrees.
That is stupid but there is no link between I.Q. and job performance. When tested it yielded a 0.5 correlation, yet it could also be a self-fulfilling prophecy where if you know you have a higher IQ, you might work harder where if you have a low I.Q., you may give up and phone in job performance... http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/...91.2014.983635

Old 12-26-2017, 05:02 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,534,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
That's not what that case is saying. It sounds like you are saying diverse people aren't smart.

In the Duke Power case, Duke was using unrelated tests as an employment requirement. Why should a candidate applying for a job at a power company be required to pass an EXAM about something completed unrelated to power? These were not the aptitude tests we see today.

This is not the same as requiring a degree.

Read the case: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griggs_v._Duke_Power_Co.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:14 AM

2,673 posts, read 2,241,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
If you’re not getting enough people applying for the positions you offer, the solution is not to hire illegal workers under the table that’ll work for less than minimum wage. That makes you no different than someone who embezzles money, or evades taxes, you are a criminal, and deserve to be treated as such!

I think it really comes down to the attitude of “nobody owes you anything, you should take what they offer and be thankful you got that!” As long as whoever you’re working for is following the laws, I agree, (hiring legal employees at legal wages) and if they can’t get enough people to fill those positions, it’s time for YOU as a business to change to attract more prospective employees. Whether that be through higher wages, more benefits, etc, but NOT by hiring an illegal workforce or paying them under the table . I understand that companies are treated as if they are “above the law” and are not held to the same standards as normal people.

I don’t understand why people are so quick to blame the worker instead of the company. Company wants to pay you peanuts and work you to death, nobody's applying for the jobs we offer because the American people are too lazy!!!

I'm so sick of hearing this same old class warfare whining. If you want to constantly wail away with this sing-song.... then at least blame the right people for the mess.

.... and no..... before you start with the partisan hysterics.... I'm not talking about the illegal workers being the ones to blame.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:20 AM

1,166 posts, read 879,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
I'm so sick of hearing this same old class warfare whining. If you want to constantly wail away with this sing-song.... then at least blame the right people for the mess.

.... and no..... before you start with the partisan hysterics.... I'm not talking about the illegal workers being the ones to blame.

And who, according to you, might that be?

Old 12-26-2017, 09:23 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,128,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
If you’re not getting enough people applying for the positions you offer, the solution is not to hire illegal workers under the table that’ll work for less than minimum wage. That makes you no different than someone who embezzles money, or evades taxes, you are a criminal, and deserve to be treated as such!

I think it really comes down to the attitude of “nobody owes you anything, you should take what they offer and be thankful you got that!” As long as whoever you’re working for is following the laws, I agree, (hiring legal employees at legal wages) and if they can’t get enough people to fill those positions, it’s time for YOU as a business to change to attract more prospective employees. Whether that be through higher wages, more benefits, etc, but NOT by hiring an illegal workforce or paying them under the table . I understand that companies are treated as if they are “above the law” and are not held to the same standards as normal people.

I don’t understand why people are so quick to blame the worker instead of the company. Company wants to pay you peanuts and work you to death, nobody's applying for the jobs we offer because the American people are too lazy!!!
Facts. Employees have a right to look out for themselves just as the employer does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment