Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2017, 02:00 PM

2,535 posts, read 1,874,647 times

Advertisements

Workplaces need to stop requiring a bachelors or masters degree for every damn thing.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2017, 02:06 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,749,983 times
One of my tenants took on significant debt and received assistance to get her Bachelor Degree... she thought she was going to land a 100k job and was sadly disappointed to learn all the offers she received were entry level at little more than minimum wage... she is 55.

Now she is taking on more to get her masters... I don't see it but she has section 8 which opened the door to educational benefits.

At one time she had a job as an LVN... not bad pay but had back problems and high blood pressure so gave it up...

Old 12-25-2017, 02:38 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,534,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
Workplaces need to stop requiring a bachelors or masters degree for every damn thing.
No, please don't. It's a competitive advantage.

Old 12-25-2017, 03:35 PM

35,131 posts, read 31,412,038 times
If a company is consistently have recruiting or retention problems, it needs to look inward at whatever the flaw is.

Old 12-25-2017, 03:50 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,640,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
If a company is consistently have recruiting or retention problems, it needs to look inward at whatever the flaw is.

True...if their is a retention problem, the company should be LISTENING to their employees and looking to fix those issues

Geography is another issue for some companies in relation to recruitying as people from Atlanta, Chicago, Seattle, San Francisco, Dallas etc don't want to move to podunct Mississippi

Old 12-25-2017, 04:04 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,804,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Huh? Farming is what it is. So Americans only want the jobs that are clean and easy? Seasonal or not, wouldn't an unemployed person do better with 4-6 months of income in their pocket vs nothing at all?
Actually no they wouldn't. Does their rent drop in price? Maybe food costs? Or power/cable? Many of the 'Seasonal" workers don't have those and/or head back to Mexico where their cost of living is less than 30% here.

Plus don't forget, the most common refrain in this forum is to "Get a college degree" what good would a BA in Accounting help in picking apples?

Quote:
There are also factories that can't find people.

This Ohio factory owner says she has jobs but few sober applicants - CNN
Yes, but they are hiring year round and have a better chance of other benefits besides UI.

Old 12-25-2017, 04:05 PM

34,099 posts, read 17,163,444 times
Quote:
may not have raised them enough yet.

Free Market always creates the perfect balance point, which corps understand when they get enough qualified applicants to take care of their needs.

I know of a corp 25 miles from me that started 30-35% below market on several openings, and has inched up 10-15%, and execs are angry since they are still not drawing qualified applicant pool. DUH!! (30-35% vs other corps, same skill set and responsibility, experience required jobs)

Old 12-25-2017, 04:21 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,754,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
higher pay, better benefits. People will come.

Companies might as well earn that corporate tax cut instead of trying to keep even more with illegal aliens and cash income off the books.
Friend of mine own a Gyros takeout place. Can never find workers & when she does it’s tupically high schoolers who call off and quit on a short notice. She can’t figure out why she can’t keep s staff. She pays minimum wage that’s why! Even to the cooks.

Old 12-25-2017, 04:57 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,479,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
While I agree, sometimes they don't even require it for the job. But there is also an abundance of people with bachelor's and master's degrees in the job market today. They end up applying for these jobs and crowd out those without. I work in health care (on the administrative side) and probably 85% of the people at my level or above me have a master's degree in something, and these are mostly for sub-$100k/yr jobs.

Old 12-25-2017, 05:59 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,754,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
While I agree, sometimes they don't even require it for the job. But there is also an abundance of people with bachelor's and master's degrees in the job market today. They end up applying for these jobs and crowd out those without. I work in health care (on the administrative side) and probably 85% of the people at my level or above me have a master's degree in something, and these are mostly for sub-$100k/yr jobs.
It’s not always about a degree. Experience sometimes means more. I don’t have a Bachelors, just some college and I worked my way up from a teller to a Branch Manager of a large national bank. During that time I also received my insurance license and my series 6 & 63. Made well over 6 figures before I became a SAHM. My husband however is a Mechanical Engineer and you need to have a Bachlors degree for that and even a Masters typically!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment