Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 09:02 PM

3,403 posts, read 3,573,689 times

Advertisements

Start with the labor job, retail job, customer service, basically any job that you can start with. Once you get the ball rolling, then everything will come together. No one get free ticket. Everyone pretty much work their way up. So, start small.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 09:23 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,117,680 times

Old 12-27-2017, 09:45 PM

136 posts, read 80,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddleydoo22 View Post
I'm a 22 y.o. with very little work experience and no credentials or accolades. At this rate, I'll still be at home well into my 30s.
It's always been hard to find a job when you are first starting out.

employer: we hire only those with experience.
me: how do I get experience?
employer: find a job and you'll get experience.

repeat.

Have you thought about volunteering....? Try the library (gain organizational and customer service skills). Schools (gain skills working with young people) Hospitals (gain skills working with elderly). Also, look at in-home care jobs, they are always looking for people who are responsible with flexible schedules. There are also short-term courses for caregiving, coffee barista, etc.

Old 12-27-2017, 10:07 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,117,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamppy View Post
It's always been hard to find a job when you are first starting out.

employer: we hire only those with experience.
me: how do I get experience?
employer: find a job and you'll get experience.

The problem is kids these days don't want to work! I got my first job at eleven, delivering papers. At 14 I worked for "student" wage $1.50/hr at an ice cream shop. Later a sandwhich shop where I served, mopped, washed dishes and everything else no one wanted to do.
I also shoveled snow and cut grass, rode my bicycle 15 miles to load hay bales onto a flatbed for $15...for the DAY!...THIS is how you get experience.
All these kids today think they should start at 50k without anything to offer!

I don't feel sorry for the OP...22 and never had a job? What a slacker! @22 I was finishing up my first enlistment in the Marine Corps, married for three years and living on my own for four.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:10 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,657,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
The problem is kids these days don't want to work! I got my first job at eleven, delivering papers. At 14 I worked for "student" wage $1.50/hr at an ice cream shop. Later a sandwhich shop where I served, mopped, washed dishes and everything else no one wanted to do.
I also shoveled snow and cut grass, rode my bicycle 15 miles to load hay bales onto a flatbed for $15...for the DAY!...THIS is how you get experience.
All these kids today think they should start at 50k without anything to offer!

I don't feel sorry for the OP...22 and never had a job? What a slacker! @22 I was finishing up my first enlistment in the Marine Corps, married for three years and living on my own for four.

Mod cut.

To the OP:
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned networking. 75-80 percent of jobs are filled by networking. You don't know any friends or family members that are looking for a candidate to fill a position? I'm pretty sure you know someone that has a position to fill at their job. It may not be the position that you want right now, but i think you should find anything to keep you occupied-a job that holds you accountable and where your input is greatly appreciated. NETWORK NETWORK NETWORK. You can continue to apply anonymously behind a computer screen, but knowing someone will give you a leg up on most of your competition.

How's your resume? Are you writing a cover letter? Are the cover letter and resume grammatically correct? Have a professional look over your resume. Your local EDD office can help you with that. I had a lady from EDD look at my resume and I use that template every since. And you know what, I have gotten more responses! Just changing a few words and formatting your resume "correctly" makes a big difference. Actually, you should use EDD as a resource with your job search because they always have job postings on their website and they have workshops on how to get jobs.(resume writing, looking presentable, key buzz words, interview techniques, etc) If I were you , go to your local EDD office and present yourself to the local EDD worker and build a relationship with him/her.

You don't need a college degree to get a good job, but since it seems that you can possibly take some classes at a local community college to get your feet wet. Learn how to be on time, participate in group discussions, work on class projects in a group setting and turn your homework in on time and do well on tests. These attributes are important as employers want to see if you can work in a group setting, contribute and come up with solutions on how to solve certain problems, and if they assign you a task, that you can do the task on time or even before the task is due. (being accountable)

The good thing is that you're only 22. Screw everyone who is being negative on this thread. I had an ex girlfriend who DIDN'T HAVE A JOB until she was 27 and she's making over 100k now. (32 years old-However, she went to school) However, just because you're young doesn't mean you should slack off. You have a goal in mind, now achieve it, brick-by-brick. We will be rooting for you. (at least most of us will )

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-30-2017 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: Personal attack.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:36 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,444,730 times
thank you 49erfan,for being wise,respecting of the Op's concern,and giving suggestions.

Some folks could use character building instead of character assassinating.

Location does carry weight in supply and demand in the work force.

I feel for any adult hitting the defeatist wall. Rejection is daunting when a person really applies themselves.

OP: just know you are of value...sorry that it's been a challenge ....

Old 12-28-2017, 01:01 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,657,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
thank you 49erfan,for being wise,respecting of the Op's concern,and giving suggestions.

I feel for any adult hitting the defeatist wall. Rejection is daunting when a person really applies themselves.

Thank you. That's why I am in a process of moving to another state. The job prospects look A LOT better (in Phoenix) than my current city. (Sacramento) So I can relate to the OP but the OP cannot give up. He's only 22, he has time to grow. But he needs to act fast or else his worst fears could come true.

Old 12-28-2017, 05:01 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,821 times
I always figured it was easiest to find a job when you’re first starting out. It’s much more difficult once you hit your 30s and become experienced and more educated etc because then you become “too expensive” in the eyes of the employer. They want to play it cheap and they know they can with kids in their 20s. I had an easier time finding work at 22 with no college degree with limited experience than having a college degree with 5-10 years experience

Old 12-28-2017, 06:20 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,294,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddleydoo22 View Post
I'm a 22 y.o. with very little work experience and no credentials or accolades. At this rate, I'll still be at home well into my 30s.
Most 22yo people do not have accolades or credentials - they are likely to be one year into any career field they've chosen post-college.

I saw on another post you made that you are a college dropout and held a job previously for four months before quitting.

At this point, I think you need to clean yourself up a bit and get out there and hit the pavement. I don't know where you live, but consider applying to any type of customer service/call center job you can find, if only to get a paycheck coming in and gain some experience. There are work-from-home opportunities to do that work, as long as you have the computer equipment to do so. Companies such as Amazon, Apple, American Express - they all offer work-at-home customer service positions. There are other companies such as LiveOps that also offer that type of work.

I agree with another poster that networking is important. Do you have any IN PERSON social network at all (NOT online)? If not, then consider going to Meetup.com to see if you can find a group of folks that have a similar interest (sports team? movies? gaming? cars? woodworking? computer programming? yoga? - there are literally THOUSANDS of groups out there that likely have the same interests as you do).

If that makes you feel uncomfortable, consider using your parents insurance to find a therapist to help you work through your fears/doubts/worries about dealing with people (you said in a prior post that you consider yourself a social misfit). Once you have a handle on that, you'll feel comfortable with going to a Meetup of like-minded people and (potentially) coming into contact with people who may have work available.

I wish you luck and hope that something pans out for you.

Old 12-28-2017, 06:39 AM

902 posts, read 747,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post

Part of character building is accepting reality
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment