Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 11:52 AM

13,248 posts, read 7,295,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Lots of great jobs that people got their start no longer even exist. Which if fine, but it is the opportunity those type of jobs provided that we haven't kept up with with the new type of jobs we replaced them with. The days of going from the shop floor and working your way up to the executive suit are pretty much over.

We really need to start valuing the apprenticeship/internship/training model again.

All employers are doing today is decimating their own labor forces and they are starting to feel the consequences of their actions.
I haven't seen that in my company most of the managers worked their way up I could have gone to management I went to SR technical role because I didn't want to manage people. The CEO of my company started out as a CPA in finance department worked his way up.

How is an employer going to function without their employees if your talking about low end jobs that are sent to China or replaced by robotics that will happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 12:16 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,185,115 times
If you don't have a strong entry level force you won't have anybody to hire for the mid level positions. Look at how many companies talk about there not being enough people to hire, not qualified etc....Even baseball realizes they must fund the minor leagues so they always have the labor force to hire from when needed.

Look at construction companies. I know many, many companies that use to have multiple crews that are now single man operations. They all have one thing in common. When they needed employees they all refused to hire and train entry level. They kept doing that year after year after year to the point that they ran out of experienced people to hire. They decimated their own labor pool by not keeping the ranks full.

Look at the construction companies flourishing, most will have very strong apprenticeship programs and they never have a labor problem.

Old 01-07-2018, 02:43 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,312,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddleydoo22 View Post
I'm a 22 y.o. with very little work experience and no credentials or accolades. At this rate, I'll still be at home well into my 30s.
Any education to speak of at all (besides the basic High School diploma)? Because if you don't get cracking on something sooner rather than later, you're going to be sorely disappointed the older you get. Imagine still needing a job at 65 and NOT being able to find one...yeah, it sometimes get worse not better. Then whose home will you be living in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
What are your plans to make something change when you are in your 30s? Sounds like you aren't going to bother to do anything to better your situation so things will only get worse.

Unless of course you have a plan to get get some education or training in a field that you could find a job in, in which case, you could start doing that right not and not mooch off your parents for another decade first.
This exactly sums it up OP!

Last edited by HomeIsWhere...; 01-07-2018 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-07-2018, 06:32 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,112,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
It's the way you tell them. Aggressive talk is tough love. Patient and mild talk is not. The message is the same but the method of delivery is different. It depends on the situation. If you are in control and have physical, mental, or financial leverage over another person then tough love communication may be the best option. The results are quick and you are able to force your views on the person with little risk. If you don't have any leverage over the person, then not using the tough love approach is best. Here you have to convince the person of your views using the intellectual approach since you don't have any power over them.
There can be blowback too, once you loose the leverage they could write you off indefinitely. I know I did not talk to my dad for over 5 years because of loosely similar issues. I was taking control of my chosen profession but my chosen profession was engineering, you dont exactly go to a 2 week training course and start working and I dont think he got that.

Also if an employer does that then they risk the employee dealing more harshly in negotiations once said employee has f-you money. I know once I am in a position of leverage my current employer is either going to give me a massive raise and a 3 year employment contract with language in my favor, if they dont like it I will move on.

The only time tough love should be used is when someone is truely being a dead beat. It sounds like the OP wants to do something but is very quickly learning that employers want a rocket scientists doctor with 2 phd's and 50 years of experience using the exact niche obscure software that they have for a 60k a year job.

The blowback is often times not immediate because in the case of an employer they may not need you for 6 months or a year then when things get hot again ... ope whats that no one wants to come back and they have to start recruiting from out of state and retrain people that have no relationship with the clients, vendors, subs, etc.

Or if its a parent or family that dad may say good ridance to a son but what happens when they have the only grand child, dads going to pay dearly for his earlier "tough love" when mom cant see the grand child because dad is a *******. Again if the kid is smoking weed in the basement playing video games then thats a different sitaution.

If the OP were smoking weed playing call of duty he would not be posting on here ...

Old 01-07-2018, 06:38 PM

4,955 posts, read 2,707,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
There can be blowback too, once you loose the leverage they could write you off indefinitely. I know I did not talk to my dad for over 5 years because of loosely similar issues. I was taking control of my chosen profession but my chosen profession was engineering, you dont exactly go to a 2 week training course and start working and I dont think he got that.

Also if an employer does that then they risk the employee dealing more harshly in negotiations once said employee has f-you money. I know once I am in a position of leverage my current employer is either going to give me a massive raise and a 3 year employment contract with language in my favor, if they dont like it I will move on.

The only time tough love should be used is when someone is truely being a dead beat. It sounds like the OP wants to do something but is very quickly learning that employers want a rocket scientists doctor with 2 phd's and 50 years of experience using the exact niche obscure software that they have for a 60k a year job.

The blowback is often times not immediate because in the case of an employer they may not need you for 6 months or a year then when things get hot again ... ope whats that no one wants to come back and they have to start recruiting from out of state and retrain people that have no relationship with the clients, vendors, subs, etc.

Or if its a parent or family that dad may say good ridance to a son but what happens when they have the only grand child, dads going to pay dearly for his earlier "tough love" when mom cant see the grand child because dad is a *******. Again if the kid is smoking weed in the basement playing video games then thats a different sitaution.

If the OP were smoking weed playing call of duty he would not be posting on here ...
I agree.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:36 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddleydoo22 View Post
I worked in a low wage position, but I quit because of issues.
It looks like you are able to find employment. You just choose to leave it. I would leave it off of future job applications, if it lasted less than a month.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:18 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,112,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
It looks like you are able to find employment. You just choose to leave it. I would leave it off of future job applications, if it lasted less than a month.
Ownership class does not like it when people stand up for themselves as fellow US citizens, they make an example out of people by discriminating against "job hoppers". This is why so many people are creating fake resumes, the ownership class have brought this on themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment