Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2018, 02:27 PM

314 posts, read 441,881 times

Advertisements

Thought about college or a trade school? like welding, plumbing, electrical, etc.?

What about joining the service?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 02:41 PM

16,211 posts, read 11,395,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBC View Post
Thought about college or a trade school? like welding, plumbing, electrical, etc.?

What about joining the service?
Good thoughts! -- or you can work a seasonal job (usually outdoors), and use the off-season to study and add to what's in your "tool kit"; or work in an industry that's geared to 24/7 operation, such as police work, freight transportation, or medical care.

But anyone who walks into the typical over-sensitized, de-industrialized, 9-to-5 office environment, and expects to rise on merit alone, to a point where you can change your job to fit your mode of living, has some very painful un-learning to do.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 01-04-2018 at 04:01 PM..

Old 01-04-2018, 03:55 PM

20,780 posts, read 20,088,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBC View Post

You pretty much earn (good) money from day 1 on. Welders are in high demand.

Old 01-04-2018, 04:20 PM

7,977 posts, read 5,016,353 times
Welders are in high demand because its a crummy job and you can risk severe injuries or even death. Not to mention all the potential joint pain/injuries that comes a lot with trade jobs. If you do it too long, guarantee you're going to have a host of various physical issues/deterioration

Old 01-04-2018, 04:23 PM

7,266 posts, read 4,601,050 times
Find a small place (can flout the rules) that you want to work and volunteer to work for 6 weeks. At the end fo 6 weeks the employer can either choose to hire you or give you a good reference. Most people are too lazy to fire you once you are ensconced and if they do choose to let you go and don't give you a good reference you can come back at them for not paying you under FMLA. Which requires that you get paid if you worked.

Most people will just hire you and think you are a self starter for suggesting it.

Old 01-04-2018, 04:30 PM

14,413 posts, read 22,565,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
The problem is kids these days don't want to work! I got my first job at eleven, delivering papers. At 14 I worked for "student" wage $1.50/hr at an ice cream shop. Later a sandwhich shop where I served, mopped, washed dishes and everything else no one wanted to do.
I also shoveled snow and cut grass, rode my bicycle 15 miles to load hay bales onto a flatbed for $15...for the DAY!...THIS is how you get experience.
All these kids today think they should start at 50k without anything to offer!

I don't feel sorry for the OP...22 and never had a job? What a slacker! @22 I was finishing up my first enlistment in the Marine Corps, married for three years and living on my own for four.
I was gonna say. He/she could always join the military.

Old 01-04-2018, 04:38 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,316,540 times
Have you checked with your local State job service and asked about programs that will help you become more job ready?

https://www.mathematica-mpr.com/-/me...s/hdemploy.pdf

https://www.mdrc.org/population/populations-we-work

https://bizfluent.com/info-10065814-...mployment.html

Old 01-04-2018, 05:29 PM

14,413 posts, read 22,565,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
Really?

I'll tell you what! That Marine Corps mentality saved my butt in 2008 when I lost everything! I lost a business and multiple houses and at 42 years old I was almost homeless. I took multiple $10/hr jobs, some part time...I stitched them together as best I could...often working 90+ hours/week between them...not including travel/clothes change time. I did what I had to do...cut back on ALL non-essential spending...want a can of soda? NOPE! that's 6-10 minutes of work...go without!
I did jobs that sometimes people laughed at because they were beginner jobs and a 42 year oldshould be better off than that...I put my nose to the grindstone for seven years getting back to a point of finally being able to go out or buy something unnecessary.

You DO what you have to DO!

Failure is only an option for the weak and coddled.

So there's reality! ...and it's pretty recent! I have no empathy for slackers...it can be done, but you have to get off your ass and WORK!
You are arguing with a brick wall. It's a generational thing I believe. Young people in their early 20s don't want to work. They have Op's mentality. Give me give me give me but are not ready to do the dirty work first. "I hate volunteering" " I don't want to work for minimum wage" " I don't do retail" " I want to make good money"....
My husband used to tell me the same thing you do. He was in the Army for 10 years and got out right before 9/11. He , like you, worked for pennies at at 30 after he got out, and I worked retail making minimum wage as well. But we, dug ourselves out of the mess, not blaming anybody else for our situation. He used his GI bill and got a job in the field he loves. I took some student loans and learned a trade.
I don't know what it is going on with the generation today. It's pathetic and scary. It makes me feel old just saying this but damn, it's the truth.

Old 01-04-2018, 05:38 PM

7,266 posts, read 4,601,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
we, dug our-selves out of the mess, not blaming anybody else for our situation. I don't know what it is going on with the generation today. It's pathetic and scary. It makes me feel old just saying this but damn, it's the truth.
Yes.. agreed. When I talk to millennials they act like I rolled out of bed after college and walked into the job I have now. Not so. My first job after being turned down by the "Limited" for an associate's job with a business degree, was working as an AP clerk. I made 14K per year. No way I could move out. Then I got a job paying 18K. I was basically running the accounting for a company but making 18K. I went back to grad school and had trouble getting a job there too and now 18 or so years after that.. now, I am making good money.

The only difference is that I didn't complain about it and act entitled.

It sucks that it is this way but don't think that your degree means anything. And I am truly sorry for the kids who't parents puffed them up that way.

Old 01-04-2018, 05:49 PM

7,641 posts, read 5,148,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
As for qualifications, he struggled with keeping his jobs due to mediocre performance and a do not care attitude. By the end of the year, he ended up unemployed for 6 months. I tried to get him in the door, before he got fired. I didn't know all this until later. Now I am not surprised by his attitude at the interview.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

Maybe I come from a different generation, but I never mistook applicants as pretentious for tucking in their shirts and wearing slacks to interviews with VPs at financial institutions.
Slacks and a colared shirt is ok, I have seen people wearing $500 suits with the cuff links and all that and thought .... really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment