Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2017, 02:45 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,328,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddleydoo22 View Post
I'm a 22 y.o. with very little work experience and no credentials or accolades. At this rate, I'll still be at home well into my 30s.
The military might hire you, and train you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 02:55 PM

49 posts, read 55,163 times
Default Everybody starts out like you.

None of us are born with the proper credentials.
We have to get them.
What do you want to do?
Does it require a degree?
A license?
You need to research what the proper path is
toward the future you want and then put it into
action step-by-step.
This just doesn't sound like a career issue with
me. It sounds like a self-esteem issue, too.
Do what you can to start believing in yourself.
None of us start at the top.
When I first got to NYC, I too was in my early
20s and did temp work for five years.
I hated it, but it led to other things.
Make a plan that focuses on long term
rather than short term success.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:01 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,986,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newvoyage View Post
None of us are born with the proper credentials.
We have to get them.
What do you want to do?
Does it require a degree?
A license?
You need to research what the proper path is
toward the future you want and then put it into
action step-by-step.
This just doesn't sound like a career issue with
me. It sounds like a self-esteem issue, too.
Do what you can to start believing in yourself.
None of us start at the top.
When I first got to NYC, I too was in my early
20s and did temp work for five years.
I hated it, but it led to other things.
Make a plan that focuses on long term
rather than short term success.

Some of us are born into luxury, connections, Money, business passed down to us etc. however . so they have all the advantages from birth others don't have. Who needs credentials when you have all that?? You don't

Old 12-28-2017, 03:14 PM

1,067 posts, read 623,749 times
Quote:
I worked in a low wage position, but I quit because of issues.
There is your problem. If you can’t handle an entry level job, why should the next person hire you? Suck it up. Take whatever you can get and establish a work history. You haven’t offered up a reason fora honestly to want to hire you. NEVER quit a job until you have another one lined up.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:38 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
Quote:
Nothing. I'm a high school graduate, and so is 95% of everyone else in America. My grades weren't special at all. As a matter of fact, I think I ended up graduating with a GPA just under a 3.0. That isn't even resume-worthy.
Actually 40% of Americans have a college degree not 5% and that’s on the rise! Others have trade schooling or experience behind them. Most trade programs are under 2 years, such as pipe fitters, welding, roofing, electrical, etc.

Experience means more than schooling in some careers. An insurance agent or a realtor takes a one to two week course, takes a state test to get licensed and starts selling! If you good at it you can make a very good living! I started as a teller and worked my way up to Branch Manager. There’s lots of careers you can do without schooling that makes decent money. The only thing holding you back is you! What is it you like to do?

Old 12-28-2017, 04:42 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,435 times
How many jobs have you applied for?

Have you considered the military?

I was 23 and on a road to nowhere. I joined the Army. Became a Sergeant in 2 1/2 years and, was appointed as a Hangar Floor Maintenance Supervisor for CH-47D helicopters. I have my own car, bought new, no debt, one semester from finishing college (although i been draggin' ass on that) and decent health. I didn't reenlist aftet 7 years, I figured 3 deployments was enough...

Any professional weakness I have now are the consequences of marrying the wrong woman but, that's a whold different story.

You 22. If you don't got connects or credentials, go military. If you can't run 2 miles yet in less than 16 minutes... now would be a good time to start.

Last edited by RageX; 12-28-2017 at 05:00 PM..

Old 12-28-2017, 04:46 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Some of us are born into luxury, connections, Money, business passed down to us etc. however . so they have all the advantages from birth others don't have. Who needs credentials when you have all that?? You don't
and others are born jaded and jealous... what's your point?

Old 12-28-2017, 06:28 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,914,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Don't feel bad. Most places aren't hiring externally anymore. Its just a formality to make some people happy like "look at us we're hiring" then they just hire an internal candidate or don't fill the opening at all. Ive applied to countless positions over the last year both federal/private where I posses more than the MAXIMUM job requirements and get a rejection e-mail crapped back to me in week or month indicating I didn't meet the necessary minimum requirements when I have been doing the EXACT responsibilities they are requiring over the last 5 years. .. Yea....

It leads to be believe no human is even looking at these applications/resumes. Its just some BS filter that craps back and rejects 98 percent of the resumes submitted and the remaining 2 percent get an interview because they have a connection who could get them bypassed through the crap formality hiring process.
O yes!! i ran into this so many many times.. You meet their post requirements, then get the interview and over qualified your self for the job. Then comes the letters..

Old 12-28-2017, 07:12 PM

384 posts, read 376,465 times
OP you are going to find a job its going to be ok. My son is 23 and was one class away from graduating with an English Lit degree, he quit that very last class and he had no job experience. I said ok its time to get a job then. He was hired on the spot at Walmart in the produce department with zero job experience. He was hired for his strength he is a big boy. Its a start . You too will land a job just stay positive , it will happen~

Old 12-29-2017, 05:20 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
OP, you are in the state capital. I would start out with temp agencies. When I lived in another state capital, there were multiple temp agencies hiring people to place them in various positions. The pay wasn’t great, but it was a start. At my agency and many agencies, the basic qualifications seemed to be whether you had a HS diploma and could pass a background screen as many could not due to having certain disqualifying crimes (mostly felonies) on their record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment