Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2018, 03:18 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,130,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
Lose the marine core mentality and come back to reality
Really?

I'll tell you what! That Marine Corps mentality saved my butt in 2008 when I lost everything! I lost a business and multiple houses and at 42 years old I was almost homeless. I took multiple $10/hr jobs, some part time...I stitched them together as best I could...often working 90+ hours/week between them...not including travel/clothes change time. I did what I had to do...cut back on ALL non-essential spending...want a can of soda? NOPE! that's 6-10 minutes of work...go without!
I did jobs that sometimes people laughed at because they were beginner jobs and a 42 year oldshould be better off than that...I put my nose to the grindstone for seven years getting back to a point of finally being able to go out or buy something unnecessary.

You DO what you have to DO!

Failure is only an option for the weak and coddled.

So there's reality! ...and it's pretty recent! I have no empathy for slackers...it can be done, but you have to get off your ass and WORK!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 03:47 PM

20,771 posts, read 20,035,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
The military is not a job training program, nor an employer of last resort. They have no use for someone who's kicking their toes in the dirt moaning about how life isn't treating them well. The military wants driven, capable people who can perform under pressure. OP isn't that, it seems.
uhm yeah. Lots of people who are on the verge of becoming criminals, troubled youth or have nowhere else to go find the military to be the last resort. Everyone with legs and arms and good eyes pretty much can join. BTW, I was married to the military, lived in the heart of the military (Norfolk, VA) and have seen it first hand. Sorry, if I burst your bubble.

Old 01-03-2018, 04:00 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,951,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
The military is not a job training program, nor an employer of last resort. .
I live in a military town and the military is actually that they take people who have few options and train them up. Sure some are incredibly driven and smart most aren't thats just how it is because the vast majority of people who have a choice don't join up.

Old 01-03-2018, 05:25 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,135,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
I live in a military town and the military is actually that they take people who have few options and train them up. Sure some are incredibly driven and smart most aren't thats just how it is because the vast majority of people who have a choice don't join up.
I have heard that's not so much the case anymore, especially with the air force. They are just as picky if not more so than civilian employers. I suppose if you are young and in decent shape the army still takes people but that's a suck life on the front end, especially since the USA has been in perpetual war since I was born.

Old 01-03-2018, 06:00 PM

4,936 posts, read 2,082,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddleydoo22 View Post
I'm a 22 y.o. with very little work experience and no credentials or accolades. At this rate, I'll still be at home well into my 30s.
I wish you well, but you're admitting defeat before the start of the battle and that's not a winning adittuide in today's labor market. I truly hope that you're not the type of person with no skills or actual work experience who thinks that you're automatically qualified for a mid- management $100Ks position since everybody around you said that YOU are special... If so, be prepared to be disappointed well into your 50s and 60s.

If you have no skills, offer to work at a greatly reduced rate/minimum wage until you learn a skill than prove you're worth the going rate of other employees doing the same work. Also, there is the military where you can learn a skill, if you choose the right job and qualify for the training... Key word(s), being qualified for the training.

Study something on the Internet and research it until you can convince somebody that you might not know it all, but that you have a working knowledge of it... That alone will show them that you have a strong drive to learn.

I entered the labor market at 17 and it was extremely hard to find a good paying job. It took many years to master my trade BEFORE making a six figure plus income, but it can be done. You will have make some or many sacrifices and work very hard to get to were you want to be, but YOU have really want it and staying focused on your end goals.

Again, I'm not picking on you, but being in your shoes once, I'm just offering some words that worked for me.

Good luck!!!

Old 01-03-2018, 06:09 PM

30,415 posts, read 52,044,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Don't feel bad. Most places aren't hiring externally anymore. Its just a formality to make some people happy like "look at us we're hiring" then they just hire an internal candidate or don't fill the opening at all. Ive applied to countless positions over the last year both federal/private where I posses more than the MAXIMUM job requirements and get a rejection e-mail crapped back to me in week or month indicating I didn't meet the necessary minimum requirements when I have been doing the EXACT responsibilities they are requiring over the last 5 years. .. Yea....

It leads to be believe no human is even looking at these applications/resumes. Its just some BS filter that craps back and rejects 98 percent of the resumes submitted and the remaining 2 percent get an interview because they have a connection who could get them bypassed through the crap formality hiring process.
That's weird, considering almost everyone I know (myself included) is gainfully employed - and probably 98% of us got our jobs without any "connections." Maybe it differs from industry to industry, but quite frankly I'm a bit tired of this old trope.

Old 01-03-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
I wish you well, but you're admitting defeat before the start of the battle and that's not a winning adittuide in today's labor market. I truly hope that you're not the type of person with no skills or actual work experience who thinks that you're automatically qualified for a mid- management $100Ks position since everybody around you said that YOU are special... If so, be prepared to be disappointed well into your 50s and 60s.

If you have no skills, offer to work at a greatly reduced rate/minimum wage until you learn a skill than prove you're worth the going rate of other employees doing the same work. Also, there is the military where you can learn a skill, if you choose the right job and qualify for the training... Key word(s), being qualified for the training.

Study something on the Internet and research it until you can convince somebody that you might not know it all, but that you have a working knowledge of it... That alone will show them that you have a strong drive to learn.

I entered the labor market at 17 and it was extremely hard to find a good paying job. It took many years to master my trade BEFORE making a six figure plus income, but it can be done. You will have make some or many sacrifices and work very hard to get to were you want to be, but YOU have really want it and staying focused on your end goals.

Again, I'm not picking on you, but being in your shoes once, I'm just offering some words that worked for me.

Good luck!!!
Or use the fact that you live for free to build skills, enroll in your local university for a science or math program, even better if you happen to live next to a top tier school. then learn how to weld, mechanic, etc etc.

Going to work a dead end service job at this point does not make sense, you are past being a high school student that just needs some insurance and beer money. Maybe see if you can find a low wage job just to pay for your instate tuition and other training but not 40 hours not even close.

Old 01-03-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
That's weird, considering everyone I know (myself included) is gainfully employed - and probably 98% of us got our jobs without any "connections." Maybe it differs from industry to industry, but quite frankly I'm a bit tired of this old trope.
Did you all get jobs in your local area or did you all have to go to far flung parts of the world in get these jobs where people were hiring strangers off a job board? Typically in order to get a job without a connection you have to go some place where there is ALOT of hiring going on, so much so that they cant even come sort of close to filling the vacancies with the connected people.

If there is one or two slots and you don't know anyone your odds are low. However, if they are hiring 150 people for one department then that's a good place to be.

Either that or you have business or skill that is so rare people contact you from everywhere. I have seen this happen with scientists who build scientific apparatus for defense industry.

Old 01-03-2018, 06:22 PM

30,415 posts, read 52,044,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Did you all get jobs in your local area or did you all have to go to far flung parts of the world in get these jobs where people were hiring strangers off a job board? Typically in order to get a job without a connection you have to go some place where there is ALOT of hiring going on, so much so that they cant even come sort of close to filling the vacancies with the connected people.

If there is one or two slots and you don't know anyone your odds are low. However, if they are hiring 150 people for one department then that's a good place to be.

Either that or you have business or skill that is so rare people contact you from everywhere. I have seen this happen with scientists who build scientific apparatus for defense industry.
I'm a public employee (librarian) and all of my related jobs thus far have been local/Bay Area - since finishing graduate school in 2006, I've worked in 6 or 7 different libraries/schools (5+ years at my current job), and NONE of these jobs were gained through connections. I also had another few offers along the way, which I turned down for one reason or another. And I'm not claiming to be special, in fact kind of the opposite. I'm just one of many MLIS holders around here, since we have a library school at SJSU, and have done my share of "cattle call" applications and interviews for ONE opening. So I repeat, the old "you need connections to get a job" is a tired old trope imo.

FYI: This also applies to those I know in private industries, even the WAAAY over-saturated tech fields here in Silicon Valley. Sure, you might have to apply to a number of jobs before striking gold, but it CAN be done. And I only know one or two folks who pulled strings to get their jobs, but even they still had to impress to get hired. Maybe the people who believe this (regarding connections) need to find a less saturated field? I know that's easier said than done, but still. Also, education education education!! People love to bash higher education these days, but it's served me and my peers very well over the years. You know who isn't finding jobs easily? The un/under-educated. So my advice to the OP is to get some more SCHOOLING or TRAINING.

Old 01-03-2018, 06:29 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,951,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post

Before I became self employed every job I got even crappy fast food ones as a teenager where got on connections. I feel bad for people who expect just to walk in not knowing anybody its incredibly rigged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment