Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 07:38 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,274,841 times

Advertisements

I went through this a few years ago. Worked as a programmer and chose to leave programming and went to software support when outsourcing started to pickup.

Software support quickly got to the point where I wanted to quit every day but the cost of living made that prospect impossible.

Eventually, my wife got a new job and we relocated to the south where I took 2.5 years in a trial early retirement.

Ultimately, I got bored and returned to work doing data entry just to have something to do and make a few bucks.

Low pressure and easy work makes this job pretty great. I never thought I would be ok doing data entry but the work is evolving and i'm doing some reporting using my sql experience with a potential promotion this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 05:39 AM

1,073 posts, read 627,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
I went through this a few years ago. Worked as a programmer and chose to leave programming and went to software support when outsourcing started to pickup.

Software support quickly got to the point where I wanted to quit every day but the cost of living made that prospect impossible.

Eventually, my wife got a new job and we relocated to the south where I took 2.5 years in a trial early retirement.

Ultimately, I got bored and returned to work doing data entry just to have something to do and make a few bucks.

Low pressure and easy work makes this job pretty great. I never thought I would be ok doing data entry but the work is evolving and i'm doing some reporting using my sql experience with a potential promotion this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
My dear friend, i've been in your shoes. i've been working in IT as a developer for 20 years and yes, at some point I couldn't take it anymore. Long hours, strict deadlines, the company encouraging us to work very long hours by buying us junk food, sharing the source code with people from 2 continents, daily meetings, testing, testing, testing just to get the product on the market by the agreed date, to make that profit for our investors.

If you want to take the pressure off your shoulders, do what I did and find a job in IT but not in a software company. If you are in the IT department of a company who does other things but not sell software you will be better. It might be a bank, an investment company etc... these are just examples. most companies nowadays have an IT department just for in the house solutions.

Interesting point. I’m in a software company as a manager who started off as a programmer and then moved into testing. I agree there is a lot of pressure here.

Is there any truth to non-tech companies not paying programmers/ testers what the going rate is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment