Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 03:59 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,981,005 times

Advertisements

I've a applied for a city job, had to participate in a written examination. Got 90% correct, was on rank 39. There were 4 sessions for the written exam, I think it was around 50 people each. It's crazy. I did not move up to the next step. Very frustrating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 06:50 PM

251 posts, read 204,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
10 years ago, when I graduated from college, I would have bought into this idea. U/E was around 10-11% nationally. Today we're sitting between 4-5% U/E. That's the lowest it's been in a very long time. Therefore, I find it difficult to believe that, with just 4-5% U/E, there is such a glut of workers that it's nearly impossible to get a job. If that were the case, don't you agree that we'd be sitting closer to 75% U/E?

What I do contest is whether all of the jobs that require a college degree actually require a college education to do the job. Problem is that when the Great Recession hit, a lot of younger people my age stayed in school to ride out the recession and continued their education. Now we have a glut of Master degrees and professional degrees crowding out the job market that would have generally been occupied by Bachelor degree holders. There are people walking around with JDs, MBAs, MS/MAs and many years of experience making $40-$60k/yr salaries. At one time, holding a professional degree or Master's degree almost all but guaranteed you a nice job with a hefty salary and benefits. Now, in many cases, you're another pee-on that just happened to spend an additional $30k in education.
You can have 10 openings and 1 employee in this economy. The hiring manager today does not care. They want the guy who is employed at a competitor to come over for the same salary. Then huff and puff when he doesn't budge to take on new problems for the same salary and 10x the risk. I have 10 recruiters breathing down my neck on LinkedIN asking me to go to smaller versions of the company I'm at. They are offering about 1/2 my salary, but won't touch the guy who is unemployed and eager to do 80 hour work weeks for 1/2 my pay.

The talent is there, America employers are dysfunctional and don't want them. It is like these hoes that go after the NFL, NBA players and pay no mind to the regular working Joe, despite the fact their Father was a regular working Joe.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:53 PM

189 posts, read 172,399 times
How can I taylor a resume for each job when all my experience is the same? Sales support, order entry, customer service. That is the only jobs I can apply for. I can’t do admin and I can’t do any accounting. I’ve tried and I was not good at all.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:56 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,477,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian75 View Post
How can I taylor a resume for each job when all my experience is the same? Sales support, order entry, customer service. That is the only jobs I can apply for. I can’t do admin and I can’t do any accounting. I’ve tried and I was not good at all.
Here is my strategy. Look at the job description. Find out the key words and attributes they are requesting. Look at your resume. How can you transmit the words/attributes from the job description into your resume?

For instance, maybe they are looking for project management. Has there ever been a time where you managed a project from start to finish?

That's just one example. But use the job description as your guide for the words/attributes that you need to include in your resume.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian75 View Post
All of this stuff can be automated.

Employers don't need Sales support, order entry or customer service anymore. Do you know how I know why? Because my orders always have mistakes, there is no customer service and the Sales people hound me everyday because they have no support to diversify leads.

You are going to have to learn an in-demand skill set or you will be on the welfare bread line.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodie_Bunk View Post
All of this stuff can be automated.

Employers don't need Sales support, order entry or customer service anymore. Do you know how I know why? Because my orders always have mistakes, there is no customer service and the Sales people hound me everyday because they have no support to diversify leads.

You are going to have to learn an in-demand skill set or you will be on the welfare bread line.
That's not completely true. There are a variety of sales support and order management roles in supply chain organizations across the country.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
That's not completely true. There are a variety of sales support and order management roles in supply chain organizations across the country.
Maybe at Amazon.com

Old 03-01-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodie_Bunk View Post
Maybe at Amazon.com
I used to work in Order Management/supply chain for a variety of companies and industries not long ago. Amazon will probably be one of the first to implement whatever Boston Dynamics robot system is available for pulling orders.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:19 PM

4,972 posts, read 2,715,111 times
Quote:
10 years ago, when I graduated from college, I would have bought into this idea. U/E was around 10-11% nationally. Today we're sitting between 4-5% U/E. That's the lowest it's been in a very long time. Therefore, I find it difficult to believe that, with just 4-5% U/E, there is such a glut of workers that it's nearly impossible to get a job. If that were the case, don't you agree that we'd be sitting closer to 75% U/E?

What I do contest is whether all of the jobs that require a college degree actually require a college education to do the job. Problem is that when the Great Recession hit, a lot of younger people my age stayed in school to ride out the recession and continued their education. Now we have a glut of Master degrees and professional degrees crowding out the job market that would have generally been occupied by Bachelor degree holders. There are people walking around with JDs, MBAs, MS/MAs and many years of experience making $40-$60k/yr salaries. At one time, holding a professional degree or Master's degree almost all but guaranteed you a nice job with a hefty salary and benefits. Now, in many cases, you're another pee-on that just happened to spend an additional $30k in education.
The often touted 4 to 5% unemployment rate is flat out wrong. The bottom line is that most people can't get jobs and there is a severe glut of workers no matter what the "official" unemployment rate is. No matter how it is spun, if people can't get jobs easily then there are too many qualified people competing for jobs, even if the unemployment rate is declared to be 0%.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:28 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,989,854 times
Welcome to my world. The old resume after "submit" is hit gets thrown into a black of hole never to appear again. Or least 9 times out of 10. Everything is filtered/automated today OR You have to get around the HR Psychobable mind crew. Theres a million hoops to jump through, even if you're more qualified than any of the other applicants. You could have the best resume, more experience and education and no one would even look at it. Thats the "job search" process today Unfortunately.

Im thinking you most likely have to know someone already at the company who can present your resume directly to the hiring manager so it skips all the nonsense today.

You could have all the education, experience, performance rewards etc.. Doesn't mean a hoot today. By the time you ravage through all the BS, they have already chosen a friend/relative of some manager, even if they aren't qualified at all for the position

Last edited by DorianRo; 03-01-2018 at 07:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment