Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 10:57 AM

23,175 posts, read 12,321,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Priority Mail and USPS first class mail packages do provide tracking numbers. Book rate shipments do not - you have to pay extra for delivery confirmation. If OP's company used BorderFree when shipping internationally, they would have had the tracking number that delivered it to the BorderFree agent in that company and then be able to access the Borderfree tracking number that would provide that info to the final destination. Not all companies do that, and OP cannot provide something that isn't available.
Not that it was ever a big expense when done electronically.

As of May 31, 2015, USPS Tracking can now be added for FREE to Media Mail packages. Prior to the 2015 USPS Postage Rate Increase, it would cost $1.05 to add USPS Tracking if purchased at the Post Office and $0.23 if purchased online with Stamps.com.
Free Package Tracking Added to Media Mail - Stamps.com Blog

And no one is saying that the customer rep (it wasn't the OP) should provide something that does not exist, just that they need to remain calm and repeat the facts and not get provoked into an impolite response.

The side point being made is that if one chooses to work for a company that provides poor customer service then one can expect to receive more customer complaints. The customer has come to expect shipment tracking. It has become so readily available and economical that it is basic customer service for a business to offer it if not include it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 12:14 PM

13,982 posts, read 26,038,149 times
I have worked in retail and customer service management for a long time, mostly in high end businesses. When I was just starting out, one of my bosses told me I had a slush fund of $50. I could do anything I wanted with it, but the goal was to make sure the customers left happy. It certainly made my life easier, and me happier. I don't think any lower level employee appreciates being expected to try to placate a customer without any tools except the script, only to have a manager step in and bend over backwards to satisfy them.

I truly believe the secret to good customer service is employee empowerment.

Old 03-11-2018, 04:44 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,698,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I have worked in retail and customer service management for a long time, mostly in high end businesses. When I was just starting out, one of my bosses told me I had a slush fund of $50. I could do anything I wanted with it, but the goal was to make sure the customers left happy. It certainly made my life easier, and me happier. I don't think any lower level employee appreciates being expected to try to placate a customer without any tools except the script, only to have a manager step in and bend over backwards to satisfy them.

I truly believe the secret to good customer service is employee empowerment.
It ALWAYS ticked me off when a manager would step in and bend over backwards......it was always so much worse when you'd go speak to them and they tell you no....then they a magical appearance and change their mind. So frustrating. Frequently, the customer is still annoyed with you and craps all over you some more...so fun! Love working retail and restaurants....said no one ever.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:46 PM

6,955 posts, read 3,994,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Priority Mail and USPS first class mail packages do provide tracking numbers. Book rate shipments do not - you have to pay extra for delivery confirmation. If OP's company used BorderFree when shipping internationally, they would have had the tracking number that delivered it to the BorderFree agent in that company and then be able to access the Borderfree tracking number that would provide that info to the final destination. Not all companies do that, and OP cannot provide something that isn't available.
That's why I said **IF** they used a mail rate that provided tracking they should have provided the number to their customer.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:39 PM

1,104 posts, read 923,764 times
People in customer service are trained to accept minimum responsibility of problems and perform the weakest job possible. They are not simply discouraged from exploring and helping - they are specifically not allowed to effectively assist.

This sounds frustrating and irresponsible, but believe me, I know from working these jobs in the past. Dealing with problems can be difficult, and consumers don't want to hear difficult. Even the people who seem reasonable can suddenly turn aggressive and try to chew you up. At the same time, companies can suddenly go under or change their management and suddenly it's outsourcing time.

Sure, people will say in the old days, ma and pa lived on the ranch, and whenever they needed an insurance policy they dropped down to good 'ol Joe, and they got a free fruit basket too or whatever. It's the same as any relationship - you have to earn your trust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment