Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 01:37 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,252,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
A very good question, and I'm glad somebody asked.

HR is a consequence of intrusive politicians, lawyers and now, the massively expanded business field. Nothing more. 45 years ago it was called "employment office," and housed 2 (3 at the biggest plant) people. You saw them once, when you filled out an application. I remember the employment office at the Dulcolax (?) paint plant was a walk up window, less fancy than the drive up at McDonalds. You stood out there in the rain.

Just remember, every single product you buy these days, built into its price, are those extra 10 - 15 people employed by that "HR" department. YOU pay them, like it or not - because of that "business model" and pricing, they cost the company next to nothing, and for purely legal reasons, makes their insurance bill cheaper.
How do you fit through the door with that ego?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 02:27 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,861,550 times
I have no complaints about HR at my workplace. They make sure I get paid on time and have been nothing but helpful with figuring out benefits and whatnot. One of them actually spotted that I'd missed a raise (we get pay bumps for hitting various milestones) when she updated my personnel file, and made sure that was applied to my salary. Here they don't have any hiring or firing role, other than to do paperwork on orders from administration.

Old 03-13-2018, 02:39 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I have no complaints about HR at my workplace. They make sure I get paid on time and have been nothing but helpful with figuring out benefits and whatnot. One of them actually spotted that I'd missed a raise (we get pay bumps for hitting various milestones) when she updated my personnel file, and made sure that was applied to my salary. Here they don't have any hiring or firing role, other than to do paperwork on orders from administration.
That sounds like a small company, since paycheck is usually handled by the accounting dept and usually by Payroll dept within accounting.

These days it's also heavily outsourced as any LLC owner can do payroll by entering the numbers and then a few clicks paychecks are sent.

As for HR, I merely asked this question because I don't really know what they really do anymore. Hiring these days is usually handled by the hiring manager and assistants to go through the interview arrangements. In bigger companies HR schedules them and just gives you maybe a 15-30min intro of the company that's it but I can read that on the corporate website. Then you hear from HR again when you are offered employment and they will require you to sign papers and docs.

Old 03-13-2018, 03:09 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,881,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
As for HR, I merely asked this question because I don't really know what they really do anymore. Hiring these days is usually handled by the hiring manager and assistants to go through the interview arrangements. In bigger companies HR schedules them and just gives you maybe a 15-30min intro of the company that's it but I can read that on the corporate website. Then you hear from HR again when you are offered employment and they will require you to sign papers and docs.
Hiring traditionally has always been handled by hiring managers, as an HR Manager I fail to see any argument it shouldn't be handled by them.

That said, there is definitely work that goes on before, during, and after the hiring manager interview that HR is traditionally involved with.

Also, HR is more than recruiting. Commonly payroll, safety, benefits, Work Comp, training, management support, legal, documentation, research, policy research/drafting/implementing etc. etc. are included as well.

Its curious how often HR bashing comes up on this board and truly perplexed why any company would support an HR department impeding best hiring practices. I also appreciate this forum for reminding me to keep doing my job right.

All that said, if you're working with a bad HR Department then your working with bad executive leadership who put them there.

Old 03-13-2018, 03:19 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
Hiring traditionally has always been handled by hiring managers, as an HR Manager I fail to see any argument it shouldn't be handled by them.

That said, there is definitely work that goes on before, during, and after the hiring manager interview that HR is traditionally involved with.

Also, HR is more than recruiting. Commonly payroll, safety, benefits, Work Comp, training, management support, legal, documentation, research, policy research/drafting/implementing etc. etc. are included as well.

Its curious how often HR bashing comes up on this board and truly perplexed why any company would support an HR department impeding best hiring practices. I also appreciate this forum for reminding me to keep doing my job right.

All that said, if you're working with a bad HR Department then your working with bad executive leadership who put them there.
I'm not bashing them, I question their priorities these days with outsourcing and higher volumes of people being onboarded and term'ed daily. The background checks are done externally, the recruiting is also outsourced these days with top companies outsourcing recruiting to executive recruiting firms and benefits typically sent to you as a bulk email. I see HR functions being heavily automated and outsourced at big firms. I don't ever recall receiving direct communications from HR at a major financial firm. The hiring and termination process all seems to be centralized on a request system that a hiring manager has to perform themselves.

Old 03-13-2018, 04:24 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,475,764 times
They've pestered us for mandatory training, but have also answered questions on expenses, and making sure we got paid.
I've had exit interviews at nearly all of my recent positions.

Old 03-13-2018, 04:31 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,252,181 times
Quote:
I'm not bashing them, I question their priorities these days with outsourcing and higher volumes of people being onboarded and term'ed daily. The background checks are done externally, the recruiting is also outsourced these days with top companies outsourcing recruiting to executive recruiting firms and benefits typically sent to you as a bulk email. I see HR functions being heavily automated and outsourced at big firms. I don't ever recall receiving direct communications from HR at a major financial firm. The hiring and termination process all seems to be centralized on a request system that a hiring manager has to perform themselves.
A very myopic viewpoint.

Old 03-13-2018, 04:54 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,861,550 times
Quote:
That sounds like a small company, since paycheck is usually handled by the accounting dept and usually by Payroll dept within accounting.
Nope. One of the biggest employers in the state, actually.

Old 03-13-2018, 05:11 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,881,563 times
Quote:
Most companies do not outsource background checks or recruiting. Background checks (other than credit and criminal history) that are outsourced are basically only "check the box" value and basically worthless.

Our company does use recruiting services for a small % of the jobs, only Executive or narrowly skilled positions, but those are really still only strong referrals so the rest of the process still happens.

As for benefits, you only see the the bulk email, trust me there was a lot more work behind the scenes to make that happen. To be clear, my employer does not send out our benefit package that way.

Benefits are more than simply "open enrollment" there is monthly maintenance, new hires, terminations, divorces, children are born or turn 26, COBRA election, etc.

As for you not bashing, thanks! We have MSChemist for that.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:48 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Nope. One of the biggest employers in the state, actually.
Same here. I work for one of the biggest employers in my area, and all of that is done in-house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment