Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 02:26 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,650,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
I'm sure they don't but with being a short term position highly unlikely they are paying towards benefits.
So they only need to pay 14/hr now to be in compliance if I'm reading the chart right. The ad says 14-15/hr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 02:36 PM

3,577 posts, read 2,916,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
So they only need to pay 14/hr now to be in compliance if I'm reading the chart right. The ad says 14-15/hr.
I'm not arguing that. I will argue that they are paying under the market wage and their application pool will reflect that.

Old 03-14-2018, 02:41 PM

1,104 posts, read 924,697 times
They don't really need the degree, what they really are trying to say is "please can we have an employee who won't jerk us around for months, whine constantly, and steal sandwiches from the refrigerator" and this is the lengths they are going to.

Old 03-14-2018, 02:50 PM

1,274 posts, read 985,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
They don't really need the degree, what they really are trying to say is "please can we have an employee who won't jerk us around for months, whine constantly, and steal sandwiches from the refrigerator" and this is the lengths they are going to.
I didn't know getting a degree made you less whiny, while stopping you from stealing anything from the refrigerator!

It's a stupid requirement. Either the position is "fake", or they are just cheap, but the degree is overkill here.

Old 03-14-2018, 03:23 PM

3,577 posts, read 2,916,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
Back in 2008-12 they could have used a degree requirement to effectively narrow the candidates in the Seattle area, after that it's just being foolish since the market is so thin.

Degree or not, they will need to raise the wage to fill that spot.

Old 03-14-2018, 03:33 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,686,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
How could a job for "data entry & customer support" require a bachelor's degree?
Because the folks who are signing the checks want it that way.

Old 03-14-2018, 03:43 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,291,298 times
Automation and Immigration mean more people for less jobs.

Employers stay not wantin' to pay people what they're worth, now because of increased amounts of workers and decreased amounts of jobs you can see sh-t like this:

Class B CDL position needed

Drive passengers with medical issues and, an inability to access public transportation from one dispatched location to the next...

Requirments:

2 prior years of class B CDL employment
AND
1 prior year of home health care aide employment

OR

Bachelor's Degree
AND
1 of the above 2 criteria

Bilingual (Spanish) a plus

Pay rate:
$16.50/hr

...that ain't even worth responding to...

Old 03-14-2018, 03:46 PM

11,578 posts, read 6,791,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
Automation and Immigration mean more people for less jobs.

Employers stay not wantin' to pay people what they're worth, now because of increased amounts of workers and decreased amounts of jobs you can see sh-t like this:

Class B CDL position needed

Drive passengers with medical issues and, an inability to access public transportation from one dispatched location to the next...

Requirments:

2 prior years of class B CDL employment
AND
1 prior year of home health care aide employment

OR

Bachelor's Degree
AND
1 of the above 2 criteria

Bilingual (Spanish) a plus

Pay rate:
$16.50/hr

...that ain't even worth responding to...

Spending thousands and thousands on a degree for that low of pay isn't worth it either!

Old 03-14-2018, 03:51 PM

5,125 posts, read 2,795,733 times
Default I Wanna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
Here is an example of credential inflation for a job. I found this job on Indeed.com, but I am not showing the employer's name:

"Join a thriving startup in the heart of downtown Seattle! We are looking for a bright, fast learning data entry & customer support professional to join our team of high achieving professionals. If you consider yourself an overachiever or the most reliable person in a group project, you will fit right in."

Job Type: Contract

Salary: $14.00 to $15.00 /hour

Experience: Customer Service: 1 year (Required)

Education: Bachelor's (Required)

How could a job for "data entry & customer support" require a bachelor's degree? I can't see how such a basic job could require such a level of education, at such a low rate of pay.
Employers want top educated talent, but they don't want to pay for it any more. More temp positions, less permanent positions. Dumbed down wages. Pensions, vacations, and other perks sailing out the door. Top educational requirements for minimum wage jobs. Cut, cut, cut, to save on labor costs. Why do you want to do this, Mr. Employer? Cause I wanna, I wanna, I wanna!

Old 03-14-2018, 04:03 PM

13,305 posts, read 8,548,823 times
Essentially my relative did the data entry and customer support.the customer was govt. Entity.

the employer also govt. He made much more then this ad though. Not t a degree in his career..just alot of sensitive data that required 'imput,send,then forget you ever typed it. '
Employers are not responsible for your college bill. Deal with it. They are paying you for the value of a skill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment