Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 07:30 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Some companies, like Google, just require them of everyone now.

But, when I worked for a large, famous American beer maker back in the mid-90's, I was told by a manager who was visiting from the corporate office out-of-state, that the reason they required degrees, was because it was a legal way to discriminate against applicants of color, because so few back then had college degrees. I found that utterly appalling, but not completely surprising, because this company has been based in the deep south for many, many years.

So, there's that, too. It can be legal discrimination. Even if that includes discriminating against white uneducated people.

I doubt Google requires a degree for customer service, when they don't for software engineers.

One of my former co-workers just left Google. He had no degree. They ask for a degree or 4 years of related work experience for software engineers. He had a few guys with no degrees in his section. Self-taught developers with years of experience that worked their way up from smaller companies.

These guys were jumping ship every 1-2 years until they reached the Big N of tech companies to stay put. These guys were very set on working for the Big N, when they worked their way up the food chain of companies.

You can find much of this discussion on self-taught developers at the Big N on the /r/cscareerquestions on Reddit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 08:03 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post
Not true at all. It's because more and more people are going to college nullifying the power of the degree. College has become 4 more years of high school. If you send everyone to Medical school, then guess what? The md degree is worthless. Soon you'll need a masters to work at walmart. This country needs a labor movement badly and to get back to 18 being an actual adult and have a hs diploma actually being worth something.

The whole point of the "college for all" movement was the collaboration between government+industry to flood the market with college grads so they can pay low wages. Same with the H1B visa, again low wages.

Years ago when I was younger a college degree, any degree meant being fast tracked into a job that paid good wages and benefits, and a pension plan.

Fast food and retail jobs were for teenagers. Now you see them loaded with college grads.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:31 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,091,516 times
[quote=Disgustedman;51306670]This is a full time, 6-month contract position with the potential to become permanent for the right candidate. Pay range: $14-15/hour.

The chutzpah they have is incredible....

There's a pest control job there also, pays about $18+ an hour being offered also....[/quote]

I am sure it requires a BS degree in philosophy or in Pest Physiology

Old 03-16-2018, 09:39 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,962,204 times
Because lets be honest.. these companies want the highest quality professional they can get with the ability to pay them the lowest income they can. I've come across jobs that want someone with a BA with 5 years experience for $18 an hour.. HA!

Old 03-16-2018, 10:00 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Because lets be honest.. these companies want the highest quality professional they can get with the ability to pay them the lowest income they can. I've come across jobs that want someone with a BA with 5 years experience for $18 an hour.. HA!
this is thhe country that made walmart... EVERYONE wants to get what they can for the lowest prices....

do you pay double for a roll of toliet paper because you think it should cost more?

Old 03-16-2018, 10:48 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,749,190 times
i dont take job ads seriously listed on the indeed website.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:56 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,749,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meester-Chung View Post
degrees are worthless if they don't lead to careers
Knowing the right people lead to careers not degrees.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:05 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
[quote=DefiantNJ;51324582]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
This is a full time, 6-month contract position with the potential to become permanent for the right candidate. Pay range: $14-15/hour.

The chutzpah they have is incredible....

There's a pest control job there also, pays about $18+ an hour being offered also....[/quote]

I am sure it requires a BS degree in philosophy or in Pest Physiology
Unlike the teacher complaining about her pay, the pest control gets to KILL their subjects...

Old 03-16-2018, 11:58 AM

10,894 posts, read 7,386,537 times
I love the way they hold out the carrot of permanent employment. I'll just bet.

And it's contract work, so there aren't even any benefits.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:00 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
Because today's bachelor degree is equal to high school degree 20 years ago. So, go figure.
Bachelors degrees don't set anyone apart anymore b/c so many people have them.

Also, people who are looking for temp work will likely take anything if they are employed so the company is somewhat preying on people ... which is wrong.

Someone will take this job b/c they need it unfortunately not because they want it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment