Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 04:09 PM

7,988 posts, read 5,023,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Essentially my relative did the data entry and customer support.the customer was govt. Entity.

the employer also govt. He made much more then this ad though. Not t a degree in his career..just alot of sensitive data that required 'imput,send,then forget you ever typed it. '
Employers are not responsible for your college bill. Deal with it. They are paying you for the value of a skill.

Big difference between Government and lousy private sector employers now..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 05:04 PM

5,904 posts, read 3,930,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meester-Chung View Post
i emailed the employer asking him or her why do you want a 4 year degree for a job that require little training?

i will post the response if i get a reply
Please tell me you used proper punctuation and capitalization in your email. Otherwise, the employer will assume you're a little kid.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:08 PM

11,986 posts, read 5,332,701 times
An employer asks for degrees because he can get them. If it’s in a metro area with large numbers of college graduates, you’ll see grads in many jobs that actually don’t require degrees. It doesn’t mean that they will stay in them. They’ll stay there until it evolves into something better or they find something better. For all of the horror stories of college grad baristas at Starbucks, they’re not likely to be there for a career. Grads are more likely to be employed than non-grads overall and to find mployment in popular metros where they want to live.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:22 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,758,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Please tell me you used proper punctuation and capitalization in your email. Otherwise, the employer will assume you're a little kid.
Well, the meme he posted always annoys me. Yeah the person who went to trade school now may make more, but the person who is doing an office job who takes a little while longer to get off the ground is not the one who is going to be out of work at 50 because they have joint and back problems. Trades sound all well and good, but many trades involve lots of lifting, stooping, bending, etc. that are really hard on the body over time. It’s very hard to continue those jobs into your 60s and 70s, but pretty easy to continue sitting at a desk.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:33 PM

34,259 posts, read 17,336,386 times
It will be filled by a high school grad.

I know of Ct jobs looking for a degree and 5 years experience, paying 60-70k, that are open now 6 months after being posted.

Just cause you ask for it, don't mean you get it.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:22 PM

2,002 posts, read 1,991,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Well, the meme he posted always annoys me. Yeah the person who went to trade school now may make more, but the person who is doing an office job who takes a little while longer to get off the ground is not the one who is going to be out of work at 50 because they have joint and back problems. Trades sound all well and good, but many trades involve lots of lifting, stooping, bending, etc. that are really hard on the body over time. It’s very hard to continue those jobs into your 60s and 70s, but pretty easy to continue sitting at a desk.

every heard of gyms and exercise?

there are other jobs outside the trades that require education from community colleges and tech schools not requiring 4 year degrees

Old 03-14-2018, 10:01 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,460,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Because they can. They probably have many people applying for the job so by upping the requirements they get a smaller pool of qualified applicants.
They probably would get thousands of resumes sent to them, without that qualification.

My office once put an ad in the newspaper for an office clerk. No degree required. The fax machine broke down because so many people were faxing in their resumes.

My advice to anyone is to get that degree.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:33 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,680,977 times
Isn't Seattle's minimum wage is $15 an hour? How could they offer less than that? While I agree that employers want their candidates to possess wonderful credentials but are not willing to pay for it, the fact of the matter is that it's an employer's market and they can demand as much or as little from their candidates. However, that pendulum is SLOWLY shifting to the other side.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:11 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,432,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
who said college was a shortcut in life? You can't wave your degree around and have people roll out the red carpet for you

a degree is not a replacement for not doing anything for half a decade
My first job out of college was for $10 an hour twenty years ago, and I was embarrassed to be making so little. I quickly scaled up, though. $15/hr in 2018 with a bachelor's degree is a slap in the face.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:26 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,701,532 times
Some companies, like Google, just require them of everyone now.

But, when I worked for a large, famous American beer maker back in the mid-90's, I was told by a manager who was visiting from the corporate office out-of-state, that the reason they required degrees, was because it was a legal way to discriminate against applicants of color, because so few back then had college degrees. I found that utterly appalling, but not completely surprising, because this company has been based in the deep south for many, many years.

So, there's that, too. It can be legal discrimination. Even if that includes discriminating against white uneducated people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment