Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2018, 01:29 PM

5,910 posts, read 4,470,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
What about going from teaching 4th grade to high school Chemistry or Physics or Calculus? Or AP/Honors classes as opposed to regular classes? Wouldn't those be the equivalent to a promotion in education?

Do you know that my fiance makes less in Colorado as a high school STEM teacher at a high wealth district than she did in Texas as an elementary teacher in an inner city district?
That’s the closest to a “promotion”, but it’s still not in the traditional sense. Maybe you would have me for arguing it’s a promotion by moving up to college level. Teaching high school classes isn’t exactly some breathtaking level of knowledge. Say you’re a math teacher who literally has a college level background in mathematics, how difficult is it to teach high school algebra or calculus.....they’re stepping down many multiples of the knowledge that they have and are basically teaching a ridiculously simplified version.

At the end of the day theyre still doing the same job year in and year out, with no direct reports, whether it’s 4th grade social studies or 9th grade geometry. I was in AP classes in high school in an excellent school district, and I wouldn’t exactly call that chemistry or biology. “Here’s the periodic table”. “Let’s read about a cell!”. The topic that they’re teaching doesn’t really change the job in its entirety like a traditional promotion.

It’s pretty easy to see how a good area would be flooded with applicants for limited positions whereas a bad area would struggle to not only attract, but retain, candidates. That comes with a premium in pay in one area versus less pay in the other area that doesn’t need to struggle to attract or retain talent.

Last edited by Thatsright19; 03-16-2018 at 01:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 01:35 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,486,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
That’s the closest to a “promotion”, but it’s still not in the traditional sense. Maybe you would have me for arguing it’s a promotion by moving up to college level. Teaching high school classes isn’t exactly some breathtaking level of knowledge. You’re still doing the same job year in and year out, with no direct reports.I was in AP classes in high school in an excellent school district, and I wouldn’t exactly call that chemistry or biology. “Here’s the periodic table”. “Let’s read about a cell!”

It’s pretty easy to see how a good area would be flooded with applicants for limited positions whereas a bad area would struggle to not only attract, but retain, candidates. That comes with a premium in pay in one area versus less pay in the other area that doesn’t need to struggle to attract or retain talent.
But you are wrong in your assessment of their economic value.

They are not economically valued by the same method that you and I are. Our salaries are based on the free and open market. I can walk out the doors of my employer and probably demand at least an additional $20k, if not more, because I'm currently in non-profit and as you may know, non-profits generally pay low.

The economic value that teachers have is dictated by state funding and voter initiatives. In other words, they are heavily regulated and basically capped. That IS NOT how supply/demand works.

I think my fiance said that the average career span of a teacher is around 5 years before they leave the profession altogether.

There are teacher shortages across the country, and yet, school districts can't throw money at them to attract talent like PWC or McKinsey can.

Old 03-16-2018, 01:41 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,660,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Tutoring, adjunct professor if you can... there are ways to make money on the side in addition to your full-time job.

I agree that is bettering the situation but if you can't get the money you want even with all that, something isn't right.
I think the point is that many of us do not believe that teachers should have to supplement their income with second and third jobs. They perform an essential function in society, and should be compensated accordingly. I don't think that is an unreasonable expectation.

That being said, I call BS on a teacher who (says she) has been credentialed for 20 years claiming to make only $35K a year. That sounds more like a starting teacher's salary, than a veteran's. Unless she didn't teach for many years, and hasn't accrued the years of service typical of someone credentialed since 1998, it simply makes no sense that her pay is so low. I made about $32K after four years of teaching-- in 1999. It wasn't in Arizona, but AZ is not a foreign country.

Old 03-16-2018, 01:42 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,463,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
While a teacher's salary issue is a legit concern, posting it on FB is perhaps opening the door for even more criticism, depending on how bad the situation is.

Agreed. I have to question the judgment of someone who thinks it's ok to post about their salary on FB. Just b/c teachers salaries are public information, it's a terrible idea to post about it on facebook.

Have an issue, take it up with your principal or superintendent. FB isn't the place for it.

That teacher was in the wrong.

Old 03-16-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
But you are wrong in your assessment of their economic value.

They are not economically valued by the same method that you and I are. Our salaries are based on the free and open market. I can walk out the doors of my employer and probably demand at least an additional $20k, if not more, because I'm currently in non-profit and as you may know, non-profits generally pay low.

The economic value that teachers have is dictated by state funding and voter initiatives. In other words, they are heavily regulated and basically capped. That IS NOT how supply/demand works.

I think my fiance said that the average career span of a teacher is around 5 years before they leave the profession altogether.

There are teacher shortages across the country, and yet, school districts can't throw money at them to attract talent like PWC or McKinsey can.
Which is why they still have unions, unlike many in the private sector today.

And pensions with deferred compensation.

Old 03-16-2018, 01:45 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,463,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
I think the point is that many of us do not believe that teachers should have to supplement their income with second and third jobs. They perform an essential function in society, and should be compensated accordingly. I don't think that is an unreasonable expectation.

That being said, I call BS on a teacher who (says she) has been credentialed for 20 years claiming to make only $35K a year. That sounds more like a starting teacher's salary, than a veteran's. Unless she didn't teach for many years, and hasn't accrued the years of service typical of someone credentialed since 1998, it simply makes no sense that her pay is so low. I made about $32K after four years of teaching-- in 1999. It wasn't in Arizona, but AZ is not a foreign country.
But teachers know what they are going to be paid before they accept the job... then they accept the job and they are unhappy about it.

Look, many teachers are underpaid and I won't deny that, but it's hard to garner sympathy from people when this is what you signed up for.

Old 03-16-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Which is why they still have unions, unlike many in the private sector today.

And pensions with deferred compensation.
My fiance's school district does not have a union. They also don't have a pension. They have a retirement account called PERA that they pay into just like you and I do with 401k or 457b accounts.

Old 03-16-2018, 01:51 PM

13,173 posts, read 21,208,369 times
Just in case anyone really cares what this story is actually about, the State of Arizona is spending millions of dollars on self promoting ads highlighting how the current crop of elected officials have made Arizona a first rate state for spending on education. They show how teacher's salaries and education spending has been massive under their leadership. By all accounts, those currently in power have truly made AZ a first rate state for education and teacher salaries.

Unfortunately, it's all bogus accounting and made up lies. Teacher's salaries still are at the bottom compared to other states. Classroom spending has only increased because the Courts ordered the state to repay the money they stole from the dedicated education funds, and about the only ones who got any real raise we the elected administrators. However, the power of state spending on these self promoting advertisements overshadows the news stories about how the ads are essentially bogus.

So, this and other teachers and educators have begun posting their salaries and their "tens of thousands" in yearly raises to let the people who care see the truth. The issue of if a teacher deserves $X or $Y dollars as an educator is not their purpose. The only want to show the state funded ads as false. Oh, and to understand why the ads are running, it's an election year for those it praises.

Old 03-16-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
But teachers know what they are going to be paid before they accept the job... then they accept the job and they are unhappy about it.

Look, many teachers are underpaid and I won't deny that, but it's hard to garner sympathy from people when this is what you signed up for.
So as long as you sign up for something, you can't advocate for better quality of what you signed up for?

What universe do you live in where that's the case?

It's people who stand up and push for these types of things that have led to better working conditions and regulations for people like you and I. You should be thankful, as opposed to a callous critic.

Old 03-16-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
My fiance's school district does not have a union. They also don't have a pension. They have a retirement account called PERA that they pay into just like you and I do with 401k or 457b accounts.
Well then, I hope she enjoys her really ****ty job in the great area of CO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment