Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2018, 05:55 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,396,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Mmmmm. No. Teachers get paid a salary based on the 40 hour work week. There is no additional pay that comes with working more than 40 hours.

And someone mentioned college professors getting paid well. That's a crock of bull. Only at elite institutions do professors see six figure salaries.

My professors all had PhD's. I ran across an old salary schedule while working on campus. Was shocked to see that most of them were making salaries in the $50k - $60k range.

The only place you'll be well paid in education is internationally (middle east/parts of asia) or at elite institutions.

America doesn't value educators as much as we would like to believe. Teachers are at the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to overall respect.
i understand there’s no extra pay for them to work outside work hours. My point is a majority of them think there should be so i used corporate sector as a basis of comparison.

Anyone who is salaried is not getting paid for work they do outside work hours. Why do teachers think they are entitled to that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
So, to clarify...does, "They knew what they were signing up for" apply to this statement or does it not?
Yes. It’s obnoxious to sit & complain about one’s salary when you work less than every other full-time profession out there.

Old 03-17-2018, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
If you know of a fair, equitable replacement as a way to achieve this I'm sure many would be willing to listen.
Base their pay on how well they teach, not their experience level or credentials.

There are some very experienced teachers out there with PHD’s & such who are terrible teachers.

Compensate teachers on how well they teach. Period.

Old 03-17-2018, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
THAT IS NOT TRUE! For teachers, getting paid DURING the summer does not equate to getting paid FOR the summer.

When I was a teacher, I got paid for 180 days a year. That was the academic calendar, which included instructional days (actual teaching time), in-service days (supplemental training or prep for things like Back-to-School Night), and paid holidays. I could opt to receive my paychecks only during the months of the regular school year, or I could have my annual salary divided by 12, and receive paychecks during the summer when school was out of session. I got paid for the summer when I worked summer school sessions. If I remember correctly, it was about $2400 for six weeks, and I had to do it every year, because if I spread out my salary over 12 months, my take-home pay each month would not have covered my living expenses. The teachers who did that were older ones who earned more and could afford smaller paychecks each month, married teachers who did not rely solely on their own salaries for their household expenses, and young teachers who still lived with parents and had low overhead. The rest of us worked summer school or other jobs during the summer.

I really wish that people WHO HAVE NEVER TAUGHT would stop spreading the falsehood that teachers get paid to not work during the summer. If they did, I would probably still be teaching, because that's a killer gig!
How do you know i’ve never taught?

Old 03-17-2018, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
Usually when we withhold sympathy from people who "signed up for" whatever circumstance they are in, there is an implicit condemnation of their life choices. I really don't understand how you can place someone who makes a career choice to become a teacher in that category, and I'm curious why teachers and their concerns are so low in your estimation. I really don't understand people with your attitude.
Because teaching is the most secure job out there. You think there is job security in corporate America? Hell no. So teachers b*tch & moan about the pay, lets not forget about the pensions, job security, summers off everyone else ISN’T getting.

Youre making it out like teaching is a horrible profession. It’s not.

Many private workers would KILL for job security & pensions.

Old 03-17-2018, 06:57 AM

12,867 posts, read 9,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
But teachers know what they are going to be paid before they accept the job... then they accept the job and they are unhappy about it.....
So if you believe the BS you spew, then shouldn't you have become a teacher? Why aren't you one now?

Quote:
Many private workers would KILL for job security & pensions.
They knew what they were doing when they choose their jobs. They can just change jobs and become teachers then.

Old 03-17-2018, 07:06 AM

6,481 posts, read 6,691,285 times
A relevant video that I found interesting

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...6&id=589393645

Old 03-17-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
So if you believe the BS you spew, then shouldn't you have become a teacher? Why aren't you one now?

They knew what they were doing when they choose their jobs. They can just change jobs and become teachers then.
I WAS a teacher for a year. It bored me. I didnt find it exciting & I left the field.

Old 03-17-2018, 07:18 AM

8,827 posts, read 15,332,684 times
Quote:
Profession as a whole.

Teachers have job security, pensions, summers off. It’s far from a bad gig. Money isn’t everything.
You keep referencing LI which is an outlier. In your previous post you included free healthcare. That is not the norm. $100k after 5 years? I have 25 years in a high COL DC suburb and I'm not at 6 figures. I will have from June 20-August 16 off and I do have job security as long as I do my job well and people keep having kids. I have known teachers who have not had contracts renewed though and contrary to popular belief, outside of places like NY it's not that difficult to do.

I'm not complaining about healthcare costs or my salary, but I am rebutting your previous post. Actually, I think that's what happens a lot. Somebody will make a statement like, "It must be nice getting free healthcare", or "Oh. Are you going to retire after 20 years?". That then leads to a teacher correcting the misconception which is seen as a complaint.

Old 03-17-2018, 07:21 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,441,082 times
Quote:
Yes. It’s obnoxious to sit & complain about one’s salary when you work less than every other full-time profession out there.

“Complaining does not work as a strategy. We all have finite time and energy. Any time we spend whining is unlikely to help us achieve our goals. And it won't make us happier.Too many people go through life complaining about their problems. I've always believed that if you took one tenth the energy you put into complaining and applied it to solving the problem, you'd be surprised by how well things can work out.” Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment