Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2018, 07:31 AM

8,827 posts, read 15,353,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Teaching was not for me. I found it boring & really tbh not challenging enough.

The benefits were sweet. The pension, the job security for life (after tenure) was sweet...

I just wasnt happy doing it. I didnt feel excited or challenged to come to work everyday.

I didnt teach on LI. The $$ wasnt great but i wasnt there for the $$.

Everything else a teacher gets is amazing.

So again it isnt about the $$.

My state is an at-will employment state. I can be fired @ any time for any reason. After a teacher gets tenure it’s extremely hard to fire them... but teaching is such a bad gig though right?

All I am saying is that instead of teachers complaining they arent being paid enough, just realise how sweet the profession does have it... b/c the benefits, pensions, summers off, tenure etc etc is dope.

But teachers wont acknowledge that... they only focus on the lousy pay
I understand you weren’t excited, but not challenged? If you weren’t challenged then you weren’t doing a good job. You were going through the motions and we don’t need that type in teaching. Meeting student needs, enriching and remediating, creating lessons that are stimulating for all takes time and is challenging. Personally I find the students’ love for learning to be exciting and every day, week and year is different with its own unique challenges.

Not every state has tenure. Benefits vary. Pensions vary. I have admitted to enjoying the end of June-mid-August off. I have never complained about pay, but at some point, in many places, it does have to do with pay. Take Oklahoma for example where many have gone 10 years without a pay increase. There is a tipping point at which you can’t say it’s not about the $.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 07:52 AM

17,154 posts, read 13,010,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
To answer her question, teacher salary is so low because, crudely put, teachers are a dime a dozen. Now personally I think teacher pay should be tied to the field of study. IE if the market for a physics degree holder starts at $50K for a new grad, then the pay scale for a physics teacher with a physics degree should be in that ball park to be competitive with market and encourage good people to enter teaching. (Problem is that only roughly a third have in field degrees granted by the major department).

What this would mean though is that not all teaching jobs would be created equal. They would still be driven by the market, so those who went into the harder fields would earn more whereas the dime a dozen effect would still be in play for many.
Yes. It's crude and false. What makes you the judge of a teacher's worth? Who would you rather have teaching your kids? Very few children are home schooled. Their parents have neither the time nor the inclination to do it themselves. So who needs to educate them? Teachers. If everyone had your opinion, teachers wouldn't exist.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:32 AM

11,581 posts, read 6,768,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobzed View Post
How much does a high school teacher earn in a public school?
High School teachers make more here than elementary and middle school teachers. Lots of different factors play into that! State, school district, degree and tenure.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:40 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,428,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I understand you weren’t excited, but not challenged? If you weren’t challenged then you weren’t doing a good job. You were going through the motions and we don’t need that type in teaching. Meeting student needs, enriching and remediating, creating lessons that are stimulating for all takes time and is challenging. Personally I find the students’ love for learning to be exciting and every day, week and year is different with its own unique challenges.

Not every state has tenure. Benefits vary. Pensions vary. I have admitted to enjoying the end of June-mid-August off. I have never complained about pay, but at some point, in many places, it does have to do with pay. Take Oklahoma for example where many have gone 10 years without a pay increase. There is a tipping point at which you can’t say it’s not about the $.
Youre right. I was not a good teacher & I know that & I left. Funny thing was the school did think I was good but my heart wasnt into it & that wasnt fair for the children.

Ok i understand many states have teachers that dont get paid raises. That is for any & all professions. Many co’s just dont have the revenue to give raises even COL raises.

The only reason i am paid well now is bc i am a hustler lol. Unfortunately I gave up a lot of holidays & time with my family so that i could work & get recognized & move up the ranks.

I love what i do & i would be saying the same thing whether i was paid poorly or not.

My co likes me, i do get raises but people who work in businesses are always worried about layoffs. That rarely happens with teaching.

Personally i would prefer job security over anything else. My job has none. Luckily im good at it & i make them profits so they keep me around.

I wanted to enjoy teaching. Meh. Wasnt my thing.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:44 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,199,727 times
A teacher working for that type of salary in Paradise Valley, AZ is pretty terrible. She's making OTR truckers' wages. That kind of pay will get you a cardboard box if you're living alone. Even the west end of the valley's CoL is steadily rising since it's no longer the boonies where Luke AFB personnel live. Apache Junction is about the only place in the Phoenix metro that is livable on those wages, but that would be one helluva commute.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:52 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,428,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
What type of clients do you have? What service do you provide and on what is your pay based?
Im a project manager.

Old 03-18-2018, 09:23 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,784,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
She was talking about public perception, not data.
Correct which is why I stated that “BUT it is not supported by the data”.

Old 03-18-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Because teaching is the most secure job out there. You think there is job security in corporate America? Hell no. So teachers b*tch & moan about the pay, lets not forget about the pensions, job security, summers off everyone else ISN’T getting.

Youre making it out like teaching is a horrible profession. It’s not.

Many private workers would KILL for job security & pensions.
You keep misrepresenting facts.

Most teachers contracts are for 190-200 days. Most teachers are required to have professional development outside of the school day/year, unpaid that equates to 5-10 days a year. So on average a teacher works 200 days a year.

A similarly degreed, salaried employee with have about 260 work days, minus the 9 federal holidays. The average private sector employee with the same years of experience as the average teacher gets 4-5 weeks of paid vacation in addition. So we are looking at a difference of 200 days vs 230. So no they are not getting paid for 9 months to your 12. Teachers get paid for 200 days to your 230.

And as you say, repeatedly, teachers signed up for this. They signed up for lower pay in exchange for that security and benefits except now you have taken away the benefits, and are trying to take away the security and not even giving the small pay raises that they signed up for.

Old 03-18-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Im a project manager.
The correct analogy would be between you and the project manager next door and you are each assigned different clients. The other project manager had motivated clients, who understand the process and their part in it. The clients arrive on time, with whatever your coworker needs to complete the project. Meanwhile you get clients who don’t show up to project meeting, if they do they are uninterested in working with you, they have drug and alcohol habits and never have any of the items necessary to even help them with the projects. When the other coworker has better project outcomes is that because they are better at their job than you are?

Old 03-18-2018, 09:58 AM

45,599 posts, read 60,900,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
High School teachers make more here than elementary and middle school teachers. Lots of different factors play into that! State, school district, degree and tenure.
That's true anywhere. Those factors would include age of staff (districts with older teachers will skew high) being the most common.

Unless there's somewhere that's really an outlier Step 1, or whatever step, is Step 1 no matter whether it's elementary, middle or high school if degree and/or experience level are equal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment