Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 08:46 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,546,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
But you say that nobody works 9 to 5 at your company. That means that you apparently require night or weekend work or off the clock work or whatever. So apparently work does run your life and you expect it to run your employees lives as well.
i always thought a 9-5 was more running your life by work than working something else...

9-5 is the prime time to not work for me, sun is out to being enjoyed, not hidden away behind office windows

come into work in the afternoon when it gets too hot to be outside and work where it is a/c'ed. still get to sleep through the night when you get off
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 09:10 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
LOL!!!!!!!!!! Hey was that you who starting bad-mouthing Trump! Guess what? YOU ARE NOT HIRED!
I don't talk about politics at work. I definitely don't discuss it in interviews.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:16 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,643,864 times
Quote:
1. Showing up late to the interview. Dealbreaker. In my company, if you are not 15 minutes early, you are late. If you are 15 minutes late (I see this a lot), you are a waste of my time because there's no way you are getting hired.

WRONG! If you're 15 minutes early, you're 15 minutes early. If you want me to be there at 1:45, don't tell me the interview is at 2:00, because that's when I'll show up.

Quote:
2. Saying you want a 9-5 job. No full-time job is ever 9-5 in my company.

If you expect a lot of overtime, be up front about it and tell people. Better yet, put it in the job advertisement so that people who don't want to work a lot of overtime can weed themselves out, thus saving them and you a lot of time.

Quote:
3. Saying you need to be able to take your kids to school, pick up your kids from school, and take them to after-school activities every work day. Sorry, this is what nannies are for.

No, this is what parents are for. And I can assure you that getting my kids to school is MUCH more important to me than your job is or ever will be. Any company that cannot recognize this is a company that will see a whole lot of turnover when their employees become parents.

Quote:
9. Saying you are getting married and will need a month off for your wedding and honeymoon right after you start.

I guess it's better if they just fail to show up instead of letting you know ahead of time? If you think that anyone is going to forego their wedding just for the privilege of working for you, you've got a vastly overinflated opinion of yourself or of your company.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:05 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,673,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I actually agree with this. I get tired of my colleagues from a particular nation (*cough*India*cough*) taking 4-5 weeks off in a row and "working" remotely for part of that. I've seen American colleagues ask for the same consideration for a family vacation and never getting approval for it.

I guess things have not changed. I worked with a guy from India years ago who every year would say he was going back for a couple weeks. Nobody would hear from him until he returned 5-6 weeks later.

Quote:
LOL!!!!!!!!!! Hey was that you who starting bad-mouthing Trump! Guess what? YOU ARE NOT HIRED!

I see a good question here to help determine the applicant's basic intelligence and common sense.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:06 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,864,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
why does it matter if it is an interview... who says i am forced to accept the job offer even if they give one? who says i wont leave in three months before the vacation?

a job is conditioned on both parties, the interview goes both ways. if i dont like the people there, there are more companies out there. its easier to find a new job than it is to find a good employee and companies know it
So true - I think people forget the interview works both ways. It's not just you trying to get an offer, you are interviewing them as well.

Old 05-10-2018, 11:12 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,514,268 times
Actually I did #1 and sort of #9.

I didn't show up at all at the interview with company A because of a street confusion. (this was 2000!). So I basically went at another address, then I called the head hunter and explained what happened. The head hunter negotiated another interview and i went with her.
I wasn't really interested in the job. Didn't know anything about company A. I was looking for a job but I had my eyes on company B. I went to this interview just to see what's up there. who is hiring and what they are looking for.

Company A me an offer. Company B made me an offer too. It was a difficult decision because, as the hiring manager from company B described they were a good company too, but a different field (software company vs banking industry). Both companies offered sign up bonuses. Company A insisted I started immediately while company B was more flexible. The thing is I had tickets for Europe the following week. I wasn't even planning on getting offers. And I did have a job. I was a consultant and that was the end of my project with a client. Now the client (also software company) made me a full time offer.

In the end yes, I accepted company's A offer and started to work for them immediately. Showed up for a day for orientation, then went on vacation for two weeks, in which they gave me documentation to read and when I came back they threw me to the lions - figuratively speaking.

So yes, it is possible not to show up for an interview and start with a vacation and still get hired.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:45 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,791,878 times
"Oh, BTW I had a child rape conviction, does that bother you?"

Yes, yes it does....Next!

Old 05-10-2018, 02:32 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,801,762 times
OP sounds like a bit of a clown. What are you a recruiter or something?

I'm in Boston, I'm a hiring manager with 14 direct reports across two teams. I've interviewed a fair amount of people for my position. Have one open now and am in the process. It sounds like the positions you are interviewing for are low caliber that attract those types of people. Never have I had someone come close to any of those things. I've interviewed 20 something interns to late 50's experienced professionals.

Let me put it this way, it is kind of obvious that the OP is insecure and needs this outlet to feel as if he has some power/control.

And I'll say this when it comes to his "rules", when I was moving from NY to Boston I had a few interviews lined up in one day. One of the interviews went really well and I stayed late and then hit traffic on my way to another. It was the very end of the day, well after 5pm and I was very late. I of course called the hiring mgr and told her the situation. She was extremely understanding. When I arrived, everyone but her and another 2 people had left for the day. I of course felt bad for the lateness and it totally played in my favor. It was a great interview and I got the offer, turned it down and then she increased the salary - I ended up turning that down too.

OP is obviously not dealing with professionals and for whatever reason (i.e. insecurity) needs to create his little list of weirdness. You da man OP...all powerful interviewer who everyone is desperate to impress.

Old 05-10-2018, 02:43 PM

4,974 posts, read 2,715,111 times
Young workers these days have a lot of demands. Get used to it. Oh, and they don't listen if you try to correct them. If you fire them or don't hire them, they still don't get the message. Again, the new normal.

Old 05-10-2018, 02:58 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,386,823 times
Quote:
As someone who does a lot of hiring for a living, I am continually amazed at the horrible interview skills I see every day. Even from people who have had solid jobs (career paths) and are highly educated with several advanced degrees.

Here's some tips on what NOT to say or do during a preliminary job interview. Ever.

1. Showing up late to the interview. Dealbreaker. In my company, if you are not 15 minutes early, you are late. If you are 15 minutes late (I see this a lot), you are a waste of my time because there's no way you are getting hired.

2. Saying you want a 9-5 job. No full-time job is ever 9-5 in my company.

3. Saying you need to be able to take your kids to school, pick up your kids from school, and take them to after-school activities every work day. Sorry, this is what nannies are for.
---> Not everyone can afford a nanny or trusts one

4. Saying you need a month off every year for your annual family vacation to XYZ country.

5. Checking your text messages on your phone during the interview.
----> Would seem like common sense, HOWEVER, someone like me has to be on-call 24/7, there isn't a way around it. If I am 'sneaking out' to go interview I NEED to be accessible to clients and that has to be respected.

6. Saying that that only reason you applied for the job is so you can get health insurance.

7. Showing up to the interview with an unsightly appearance.

8. Talking about politics during the interview and how much you "would really like to leave the country due to Donald Trump."

9. Saying you are getting married and will need a month off for your wedding and honeymoon right after you start.
---> I think it's courteous to let someone know ahead of time, honestly. If you booked your wedding months in advance and you're already in the phase of planning, you likely cannot change your wedding date. A company should be respectful of that.

10. Saying the only reason you applied for this job is so you can work from home.

My answers above
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment