Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 07:49 AM

4,542 posts, read 3,912,248 times

Advertisements

As someone who does a lot of hiring for a living, I am continually amazed at the horrible interview skills I see every day. Even from people who have had solid jobs (career paths) and are highly educated with several advanced degrees.

Here's some tips on what NOT to say or do during a preliminary job interview. Ever.

1. Showing up late to the interview. Dealbreaker. In my company, if you are not 15 minutes early, you are late. If you are 15 minutes late (I see this a lot), you are a waste of my time because there's no way you are getting hired.

2. Saying you want a 9-5 job. No full-time job is ever 9-5 in my company.

3. Saying you need to be able to take your kids to school, pick up your kids from school, and take them to after-school activities every work day. Sorry, this is what nannies are for.

4. Saying you need a month off every year for your annual family vacation to XYZ country.

5. Checking your text messages on your phone during the interview.

6. Saying that that only reason you applied for the job is so you can get health insurance.

7. Showing up to the interview with an unsightly appearance.

8. Talking about politics during the interview and how much you "would really like to leave the country due to Donald Trump."

9. Saying you are getting married and will need a month off for your wedding and honeymoon right after you start.

10. Saying the only reason you applied for this job is so you can work from home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 07:53 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,626,498 times
Do people really say these? I'm on a lot of interview panels and haven't heard most of these ever. I have had a few people show up late. I work in a large company and mainly interview for mid level office type jobs. If people are actually saying these, then that's frightening!

Old 05-10-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Do people really say these? I'm on a lot of interview panels and haven't heard most of these ever. I have had a few people show up late. I work in a large company and mainly interview for mid level office type jobs. If people are actually saying these, then that's frightening!
Then clearly you are not interviewing people in Tampa, Fla., !!!!!!!!!

This is what I am getting in Tampa. Although many of these people are recent transplants from Boston, NYC, Chicago.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:59 AM

6,829 posts, read 3,244,384 times
I interviewed a guy who said there might be some "red flags" if we contacted previous supervisors. WTH?

"Thank you", next....

Old 05-10-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willamette city View Post
i interviewed a guy who said there might be some "red flags" if we contacted previous supervisors. Wth?

"thank you", next....
ugh.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:05 AM

10,073 posts, read 7,587,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
9. Saying you are getting married and will need a month off for your wedding and honeymoon right after you start.
worked for me... told them i had a vacation planned 3 month later, they can either get me trained until that point and i come back trained, or they can put off hiring me until i get back. but i might start somewhere else if they kept me waiting too long. they hired me, because most companies can work with one less person for a few weeks instead of months with no one hired.

it takes months/year to train someone, a few weeks is not a big deal, and you know they wont take any more vacations for the year since they used it up already

Old 05-10-2018, 08:11 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,626,498 times
Quote:
Then clearly you are not interviewing people in Tampa, Fla., !!!!!!!!!

This is what I am getting in Tampa. Although many of these people are recent transplants from Boston, NYC, Chicago.
Haha I'm definitely not interviewing people in Tampa.

Funny you mention that though because I've had interviews in Tampa recently but not been selected for the jobs and I do none of the things on your list.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
worked for me... told them i had a vacation planned 3 month later, they can either get me trained until that point and i come back trained, or they can put off hiring me until i get back. but i might start somewhere else if they kept me waiting too long. they hired me, because most companies can work with one less person for a few weeks instead of months with no one hired.

it takes months/year to train someone, a few weeks is not a big deal, and you know they wont take any more vacations for the year since they used it up already

This is not something you say in a preliminary interview, sorry. You COULD say, after the interview and when you have a job offer in hand, that you have a pre-scheduled VAC 6-12 months after your start date, and that would be OK. Three months after your start date is inappropriate.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:20 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,280,067 times
It would be nice if people could get clear info during an interview. if there is a lot of overtime say so, be specific about the schedule so that we know if it is going to work, or not. One of my bosses tells interviewees its a 12hr work day when the reality is, there are days when you might have a 16-17 hour day-People need to know that. As for some of the other stuff like needing time off, I wouldn't mention it unless I got an offer. If it bothers you that someone is being considerate in advance I wouldn't want to work for you anyway. People aren't robots we have obligations outside of work.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:21 AM

10,073 posts, read 7,587,871 times
Quote:
This is not something you say in a preliminary interview, sorry. You COULD say, after the interview and when you have a job offer in hand, that you have a pre-scheduled VAC 6-12 months after your start date, and that would be OK. Three months after your start date is inappropriate.
why does it matter if it is an interview... who says i am forced to accept the job offer even if they give one? who says i wont leave in three months before the vacation?

a job is conditioned on both parties, the interview goes both ways. if i dont like the people there, there are more companies out there. its easier to find a new job than it is to find a good employee and companies know it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment