Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What women wants: Take care of children or Work?
Take care of children 62 45.93%
Work/career 73 54.07%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 03:25 PM

4,347 posts, read 4,725,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
As a guy, the money she would bring certainly helps a lot but I wonder if that's what women really want?

F'ing no in my case. I love the two small people that are related to me but there is no way in h.e.l.l. that I would ever stay home to take care of them. Now I would stay home to work out, read and write if someone wanted to pay my bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 03:41 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,056,537 times
Why ask this as if one answer would apply to all women, and as if the question is irrelevant to men?

Don’t you think the answer for women is really that some women prefer the first option, while other women prefer the second option? Wouldn’t that be true for men as well?

Stupid poll.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:12 PM

715 posts, read 1,074,496 times
There are some women who prefer neither, deep down, of course.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:18 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,325,577 times
Deep inside, I would and I do prefer to work, and my man to work also, and we share the housework and taking care of our children. I did work before my marriage and through up till now. My children are grown up. I'm glad.

I would not want to stay at home to do all the housework, cleaning, mopping the floor, washing, ironing, folding clothes , grocery shopping, cooking, bathing and feeding the kids, taking them to school, picking them up and bringing them to activities after school or on the weekends, organizing parties for the kids or husband also … they are endless and hard work.

Many men may understand and be thankful or grateful to the partner for staying home to take care of the house and children. And they treat their partner with respect, gentleness, kindness and generosity. But many others may not. They may think the women just stay home, eat, watch TV, or go to play bingo, go shopping to spend their money and do nothing. Some women might not be as good as some others, but they do some work at home anyway.

In general, when you don't work, you don't have money. It's hard to ask your husband or wife or partner for some money to spend on what you need, not to mention for what you want.

For people who go to work, they have stress at work. For people who stay home and do housework, they have stress at home. Both men and women have to work outside and do the housework and taking care of children, so they can understand what it's like.

Besides, there's a saying [to make fun] about the Golden Rule: Who has the gold makes the rule. It's very true. And another saying: No money, no honey. It's true also.

It sounds harsh, but that's reality.

Nowadays if you don't go out to the world to work, your partner sooner or later will look down on you, see you as useless, having no value. And you feel bad about yourself. When you need money, you have to open your mouth, beg your partner. That's very sad. And you will feel you are low and have no value too.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:25 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,757,428 times
Quote:
@ALStafford, I think men are expected to work. Isn't that a given?
And women are expected to stay at home and take care of the children? You realize this is 20-& and that is such an idiotic question.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:33 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,991,770 times
Kids? Who can afford them these days anyways. Hell its hard enough to support yourself now

Old 05-25-2018, 04:34 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,901,247 times
It's all very individual as everyone is different; we can't generalize it based on one's sex.

My husband was the one who stayed home and raised our daughter and was very happy to do so. He loved it and also did the bulk of the housework.

I did miss DD of course but had no issue going back to work since I enjoy working and hey, someone's gotta pay the bills

It worked out for us and couples who have children should work it out based on individual preferences if they can afford for one parent to stay home.

Don't assume that all women want to stay home and all men are chafing at the bit to work...

Old 05-25-2018, 04:43 PM

48 posts, read 34,470 times
I'm a stay at home mom and I personally prefer it. I don't like working...and with my learning disabilities, I'm not even a good worker....so i prefer staying home.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:56 PM

669 posts, read 583,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALStafford View Post
So fathers have no responsibility for raising their children? And, if they do, why can they "have it all" and women cannot? If your believe that a father's involvement is critical in raising a good person, then they have equal responsibilities as the mother of the child to that child, and would be asking to "have it all" as well. So, which is it? Should there be an involved father or not?

If a woman as a degree in chemical engineering, making $185,000/yr, falls in love with and marries an auto mechanic making $52,000/year, you think she should quit her job and care for any subsequent children and the husband should provide on his salary alone? That is, without question, patently ridiculous, and you know it.

And, if your argument is then that women either do not, or should not marry someone who has such a differing career, that is social engineering at its worst. One cannot dictate whom another chooses to partner with. Unless you are creating a society where all people are assigned jobs and partners, women and men from differing economic backgrounds will continue coupling and creating families.

The OP questioned about WOMEN and what they would want. Work vs stay home and raise children. Pretty succinct.

Old 05-25-2018, 05:59 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,960,205 times
Quote:
As a guy, the money she would bring certainly helps a lot but I wonder if that's what women really want?
I think it isn't really a question about what women want, but rather what is best for the children that couples bring into the world.

Also, I don't see it as one or the other, and believe that women can do both. The most important years in raising a child are the first six years. I think that it is important for parents to raise their own children during these formative years - it's the least they can do and it leads to a healthy lifelong relationship with children. Once children are school age, women (or men) can return to work. The gap in work history can be a hurdle to overcome, and women (or men) often need to update their education to re-enter the job market, but it is manageable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment