Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What women wants: Take care of children or Work?
Take care of children 62 45.93%
Work/career 73 54.07%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 09:12 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,954,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
obviously take care of kids and spend money.....

has#metoo not taught u anything lol
Works for me! Take care of the kids and spend "my" money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 09:38 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,067,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I, personally, think that's a good thing. Sounds kind of like the definition of equality.
No such thing exists in nature. It's a made-up construct, and furthermore, unattainable.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:38 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,095,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgaltoo View Post

Women...you cannot “have it all”. Pick one. Career( work) or raise good people. And I have felt this way for over 40 years even during the feminist rants in the 70’s.

Go ahead and rip me now. ...I can take it.
I'll join you; you're right but what is right is unpopular. I am so very over the whole "gender roles as a novelty toy" thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALStafford View Post
So fathers have no responsibility for raising their children? And, if they do, why can they "have it all" and women cannot?
Why do you think they can? It sounds like you are insinuating that the traditional male role as the provider was the real ALL & the traditional female role was menial & mitigated. I guess the thread's question has just been answered.

I have a "severe needs"14-year-old who requires 1:1 supervision 24/7. I guarantee you that if I bailed tonight?

His dad won't "have a da**-thing-at-all", for the rest of his life. Unless he can afford to pay $25/hr to whoever he out-sources to. I'm providing for this household the same as he is; if not more.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:42 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,576,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
As a guy, the money she would bring certainly helps a lot but I wonder if that's what women really want?
You can only get an answer according to someone's experience. And it likely has to do with what sort of career or work the woman would be doing, if not raising kids. If she were an executive or lawyer, she might prefer to do that, since the money is great and the work interesting, with some power and decision making attached to it. But if she were a cashier, she might prefer to be a stay at home mom.

If a woman has done only one or the other, they wouldn't know which they'd prefer. No basis of comparison.

Most people have to work these days. "People" includes women. So the question is moot, except for the wealthy.

I personally think it's wise for everyone to be able to take care of themselves financially and in every other way. So if not working while the kids are young, then maybe working before kids, and then working again after the kids are older.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:51 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,067,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I'll join you; you're right but what is right is unpopular. I am so very over the whole "gender roles as a novelty toy" thing.

Why do you think they can? It sounds like you are insinuating that the traditional male role as the provider was the real ALL & the traditional female role was menial & mitigated. I guess the thread's question has just been answered.

I have a "severe needs"14-year-old who requires 1:1 supervision 24/7. I guarantee you that if I bailed tonight?

His dad won't "have a da**-thing-at-all", for the rest of his life. Unless he can afford to pay $25/hr to whoever he out-sources to. I'm providing for this household the same as he is; if not more.
My wife hasn't made a "dollar" in a very long time. But, if I were to stop making money tomorrow, we'd be ok for a while. If my wife stopped doing her "work", oh boy, s**t would hit the fan.

So yeah, she provides more for our household.

Old 05-26-2018, 01:32 AM

6,883 posts, read 7,883,485 times
A woman's 'deep down' does not make black and white choices. That's why life is hard.

And if you think your individual situation can be boiled down to a black and white answer, that can be applied to all humans please don't have children in the first place.

Old 05-26-2018, 04:52 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,455,989 times
One of the privileges that are afforded to women is that they have a choice in this matter. I would argue that men have less of a choice in this matter. Being a stay at home dad is really frowned upon in most cultures.

I attempt to view this issue objectively. I've always been a working man, so I know what sort of personal fulfillment is derived from working. I think the personal fulfillment derived from raising a child is much greater than the fulfillment derived at work. I would think that a woman who is afforded the option to take care of children full time would choose to take care of children full time. Culturally, we really should applaud for going this path, and I think it produces the best outcomes for children.

I have always preferred to date women that were not Type A, career oriented women. A lot of working women are not even good in the boyfriend-girlfriend childless phase, let alone a relationship phase that involved children. Have any of you ever tried to go on a date with a female lawyer? Years ago, before I stopped using online dating sites/apps, occasionally I'd interact with a female lawyer and they'd never be able to go on a date, or they'd want to see you for a drink in 3 weeks.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:08 AM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,659,757 times
This isn't an either/or. Right now, women work AND take have primary responsibility for child care and taking care of household chores. Men work.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:12 AM

233 posts, read 191,022 times
I have three degrees and if my future husband could afford it (and I had enough personal savings) I would stay home with my children in a heartbeat. At the very least, work part-time to keep up my skill sets. Not ashamed to admit it. I work to live not live to work.

Old 05-26-2018, 08:05 AM

387 posts, read 637,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgaltoo View Post
The OP questioned about WOMEN and what they would want. Work vs stay home and raise children. Pretty succinct.
And what you are commenting on was a response to post #8, had you bothered to read the entire thread. May want to brush up on your reading comprehension. And the title the OP chose sets up false equivalence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment