Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 02:38 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,375,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundestroyer View Post
I live in Ireland so it may be different in the States but I know here after a certain time, any criminal convictions you have become spent and thus you don't have to declare it

The reason I ask is because one of my friends in America was convicted of underage sex (he's 21, she's 15). He received probation but now has lost his job as a nurse and can't find another one. How hard will it be to find another job?

Is his life really worth it at this point given how tarnishing a record is?
It greatly depends on the pool of talent available. Does he have other skills which are in high demand? How does he come across during an interview? As for a nursing job, he would have to speak with someone who works in that profession and see what their standards are for those specific employers.

For some employers provided someone doesn't have a history of violence and theft, they will consider someone who has a criminal conviction. For some employers there is a liability issue.

After finding all that out, it is especially important in today's market to find a job through your own network you create. So the same would be true for him as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
They can always just become a professional YouTuber, plenty of former convicted felons on there that served years (hard time) in the clink, that make a nice living (high 5 figures, 6-figures and even 7-figures per year) being a Tuber!
Then why aren't you doing that making 6-7 figures and showing us all how easy it is.

Old 07-14-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
"... their social media persona(s)...".

Yeah, I'm sure someone who has been convicted of a crime is going to write about it at length and blog about their next attempt to break the law. HR people are just so useless.

Old 07-14-2020, 05:51 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,506,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
Heck, many such people that purchase a flight to the U.K. will be turned back when they go through customs.

The U.K.'s been known to refuse entry to people that have misdemeanors like drunk driving.

In the States, misdemeanors are often overlooked. And felons can forget working in many jobs, especially government jobs where the FBI does background checks.
The refusal for a DUI is more of a Canadian thing. The UK is generally not that picky.

Old 07-14-2020, 07:44 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,325,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Personally, I'd look into starting my own company, being a wage slave is over-rated in today's world anyway.

As far as your friend's life "being over", that's way too pessimistic an outlook. I mean, Jerry Lee Lewis has had a great life, with a very similar background to your friend's. Does he know how to play the pyanno and sing?
Yeah, there are so many people who open their own business and are willing to work hard (labor job) and make good money, such as opening a cleaning company (to clean houses), or dry cleaning shop, repairing cars, roofing or flooring company, etc. As long as you are willing to work hard for yourself, doing good job and to be reliable, eventually, you will earn trust and attract many clients, you will do well.

Old 07-14-2020, 08:15 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Its not just work. EVERYONE will know. Small towns are the worst, but even in large towns you can run the risk of life being....a bit rough. If he has to register as a sex offender he is truly not going to enjoy the life he could have had.

Also...even if true that he was 21, and she was 15 or whatever...most folks wont believe him. Because heres the thing-a very common tactic from sexual predators who get caught is to lie about the ages of those involved in order to minimize things.

People are right to suggest that he should try and start his own business. Police interactions should be avoided, and he should endeavor to never ever go to jail for anything.

Your friend CAN still have a great life, but he will have to make choices that cause that to happen. And his choices will be much more limited.

Old 07-14-2020, 08:19 PM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
It greatly depends on the pool of talent available. Does he have other skills which are in high demand? How does he come across during an interview? As for a nursing job, he would have to speak with someone who works in that profession and see what their standards are for those specific employers.

For some employers provided someone doesn't have a history of violence and theft, they will consider someone who has a criminal conviction. For some employers there is a liability issue.

After finding all that out, it is especially important in today's market to find a job through your own network you create. So the same would be true for him as well.
Underage sexual assault is not the same in most folks' eyes as shoplifting or a simple assault. That's a BIG charge, especially for a "caring" profession like nursing.

I picked up a DUI with comically high BAC in 2017. I plead guilty to reckless endangerment in 2018. No impact to my license. It's never come up in an interview and I have been given several offers since then.

Before I got the DUI charge, I worked for a fintech software company. We loved this candidate. We started digging in the office, and we found "theft over $10,000" charge. Instantly disqualified.

21/15 really stretches the whole Romeo and Juliet thing, even if it was consensual. My friend's father was around 50 when he got caught with the 16 year old stud football player. It was completely consensual. There's no way this would have occurred if the football player wasn't willing to go along.

I don't view the man as a "child molester" - there's never been any evidence that he molested anyone else. That said, he gets put in the same bucket as the serial molester of four year olds. It's really the only thing you can do from a blanket policy corporate perspective.

Old 07-14-2020, 08:20 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,583,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Not too many nurses at age 21............I'd guess he is a CNA or something similar not an actual RN.

Yes. He doesn't sound intelligent enough to be an RN.

Old 07-14-2020, 08:37 PM

518 posts, read 402,089 times
I personally have a hard time accepting those with a criminal record. Hard to look past it.

Old 07-14-2020, 09:49 PM

204 posts, read 121,230 times
Freshman/sophomore in high school vs. a junior/senior in college. You can argue it all you want but that’s an adult with a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment