Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 02:58 AM

19 posts, read 18,130 times

Advertisements

Could company or government officals who forced workers back into the office this month under threat that they would be fired or laid off if they did not return face a serious risk of a lawsuit when the staff members get sick with the COVID-19 virus? Maybe the CEO or even the Human Resources Director could be held both liable in both criminal and civil courts. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2020, 04:26 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times
Even if not convicted in court of law, the court of public opinion will eat them alive. Preponderance of evidence in civil court is easier to meet though. After a few million dollar settlements in arbitration they’ll eventually wake up and take their head out of donkeys rear end.

Old 07-27-2020, 06:20 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I can't imagine why any decent-sized, 21st century business wouldn't have that type of stuff in electronic format now.
Because many, if not most, jobs consist of more than pushing electrons around while wearing your jammies and watching your stories.

Old 07-27-2020, 06:37 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,707,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Because many, if not most, jobs consist of more than pushing electrons around while wearing your jammies and watching your stories.
The poster said:

"Some jobs can't be done at home as effectively. You need to go get the file, review the papers, etc."

Like I said, I can't imagine why anyone working for any decent-sized, 21st century business would need to go in just to get files and review papers, because it should all be in electronic form by now.

Old 07-27-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
The poster said:

"Some jobs can't be done at home as effectively. You need to go get the file, review the papers, etc."

Like I said, I can't imagine why anyone working for any decent-sized, 21st century business would need to go in just to get files and review papers, because it should all be in electronic form by now.
Why? Because you say so? Reality is different.

Old 07-27-2020, 08:44 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,707,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Why?.
I guess I've been fortunate enough to not work for the few companies out here that still operate as though they live in the stone age.

Old 07-27-2020, 08:51 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubroach View Post
Could company or government officals who forced workers back into the office this month under threat that they would be fired or laid off if they did not return face a serious risk of a lawsuit when the staff members get sick with the COVID-19 virus? Maybe the CEO or even the Human Resources Director could be held both liable in both criminal and civil courts. What do you think?
It's a fine line.

If a company is taking good precautions and someone gets sick, no, I don't think they should be held liable. If it's a reckless send back, maybe.

Old 07-27-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
It's a fine line.

If a company is taking good precautions and someone gets sick, no, I don't think they should be held liable. If it's a reckless send back, maybe.
And from the feds I know, who are across Departments and agencies from DoD to EPA to ONI to FBI, they are under some fairly strict rules about who goes in and who doesn't. The other reality is that much work dealing with classified issues can't be done from home. Or the bar.

Old 07-27-2020, 01:12 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,418,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
It's a fine line.

I too have been wondering about the liability issue for agencies and companies who would require employees to come to work. You can make the offices as sterile as the Mayo Clinic but those people still will be exposed walking on a sidewalk, on any form of public transportation, in a doorway or in an elevator. How can they possible keep an elevator safe at 8:59 AM with a crowd ready to board?

Old 07-27-2020, 03:50 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,236,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Even if not convicted in court of law, the court of public opinion will eat them alive. Preponderance of evidence in civil court is easier to meet though. After a few million dollar settlements in arbitration they’ll eventually wake up and take their head out of donkeys rear end.
Almost certainly the US will pass a national law providing a general amnesty to moot any local, state, or federal legal action -- civil or criminal -- related to COVID. I think the only exceptions will be intentional infection and felony recklessness. We don't sue one another for the effects of disasters like an earthquake or hurricane. People are supposed to insure against disaster, and COVID is essentially a national disaster.

As far as public opinion goes, a prediction...

Once this is behind us, the country will quickly tire of ambulance chasers litigating COVID exposure/ deaths/ malpractice/ workplace grievances.

The US citizenry generally does not abide dwelling on the problems of yesteryear or anything hindering forward movement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment